Buyer wants refund advice

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea when I sell frags I usually don’t ship that’s just me, I like to sell locally but I usually only do a week refund policy. A bit longer if I know you and know you know how to keep reefs. But once you start cutting what I send you I feel like refunds go out the window. It’s not my responsibility to refund you if you don’t have experience fragging and kill half the colony with your fragging techniques. Which is what seems like happened. He tried to frag it and it died now he wants his money back. No thank you wait for it to grow back out and try again buddy.

I stick to selling locally a majority of the time too. Too many frauds on the net these days.

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is ridiculous! Even LA only have 14 days on their livestock (except the ones they propagate which is 30 days). There are lots of variables for the death of the coral in somebody’s tank. I myself buy corals from different people/business’s online and never claim the death of the corals in my tank due to sellers fault. Not unless I received it into not really good condition then die.

Hold your ground. Hope ebay will side on you.

OP
OP
JW3500

JW3500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think I did state DOA in the sale post. Stupid of me. Bjt it was listed as no returns. Of course I would work something out with the buyer if the scenario was a bit different.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provide screen shots of the no refunds in your add as well. I hope this ends well for you.
If not, you have a nice community here to blast him on.
He likely will have to surf the forums in hiding knowing this crowd!

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After that much time I would say...
1601140195667.gif

black_beard_reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was a home inspector I would get calls from people who would "find something I should have found". I get there to take a look or do a repair and they are in the middle of a remodel with all the plaster and carpet torn out. I couldn't have seen what was in the walls behind the plaster. Sorry guy's not my fault. I do however have to have a disclaimer document that states this.

Did you state a standard DOA policy?
Yea very true it should be stated clearly. Yea there are certain things out of your control. When I sell to strangers I tell them the DOA policy personally since I sell locally I know it’s alive when you pick it up. I always tell people my recommendations for dipping and acclimation. I try to work with people but if I’ve had a frag for months and it been growing like crazy and dies within two weeks of you getting it most of the time I know it’s not my coral. But yes clearly stated policy is very important.

OP
OP
JW3500

JW3500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provide screen shots of the no refunds in your add as well. I hope this ends well for you.
If not, you have a nice community here to blast him on.
He likely will have to surf the forums in hiding knowing this crowd!
Thanks lol, but I don't want to blast anyone. Just wamt some feedback on what's right. I prefer it would have worked out for the buyer better all together.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a B&M LFS. It Is "Due to the delicate nature of marine life there are no guarantees" Back in the day we did 2 weeks, but I've had people bring me in their water samples with salinity of 1.015, Nitrate levels over 300, wondering why their shark died in copper, that their other tangs killed the new one etc. I can't control what people do with things once they leave my care. I get the arrive alive, but a month later, nope sorry.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a B&M LFS. It Is "Due to the delicate nature of marine life there are no guarantees" Back in the day we did 2 weeks, but I've had people bring me in their water samples with salinity of 1.015, Nitrate levels over 300, wondering why their shark died in copper, that their other tangs killed the new one etc. I can't control what people do with things once they leave my care. I get the arrive alive, but a month later, nope sorry.
I think the only reason this is even a thing is because of the ebay guarantee.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ebay guarantees usually end at one month...if I remember correctly, PayPal gives a buyer 180 days (6 months) to open a case. Of the two, I'd rather deal with Ebay...PayPal can be unrelenting when it comes to protecting buyers...even if the buyer is clearly in the wrong.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not refund, a month is ridiculous. Most sellers just give a standard 2 hour DOA. Shame on the buyer for thinking this is appropriate in the reefing hobby.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back