Buying a Pistol Shrimp

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These can be hard to find. There was a 6 month period or so where nobody had them.

Sadly I think they're hard to get captive bred - if at all (many crustaceans are very difficult).

I have a question for the thread - can multiple be housed in larger tanks?

They're very small and I would expect them to settle in various areas but I introduced a second one to keep my 2nd watchman goby company and it disappeared

It may very well still be alive but I haven't seen it.

FWIW I like these guys a lot more than tiger pistols because they stay smaller and are not aggressive at all. Very cute little guys

You won't see them much though.

edit: I ordered mine from blue zoo and everything was great. My only issue was that blue zoo ran significantly lower salinity in their fish water, which makes acclimation more difficult - wasn't a fan of that.

edit2: they also have some really sus recent google reviews.

I have 3 in the same tank - a 120

It’s best if you have a cave/spot dig out for them in the sand already and then introduce them directly to that spot using a tube or pvc

One is paired with a watchmen on one side of the tank, and the other is in a mated pair with another watchmen on the other side of the tank

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 45 48.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back