Buying Bumblebee Snails

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get most snails local but bumblebee snails cannot be found. If I were to buy bumblebee snails online where would you get them? I have not had the best luck with Live Aquaria, half of my clean up crew from them died the week I got them, 25% of that order was DOA.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there could be problems if they run out of food, so maybe not ideal.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you want them for? They eat small sessile inverts, like tubeworms, many of which are harmless or beneficial. I think some people want them for vermatid snails, but I'm not sure if it works.

ReefCleaners is a really good seller, and has them sometimes. Try there.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you want them for? They eat small sessile inverts, like tubeworms, many of which are harmless or beneficial. I think some people want them for vermatid snails, but I'm not sure if it works.

ReefCleaners is a really good seller, and has them sometimes. Try there.

For vermetid snails. I think I am just going to kill them the old fashioned way. I will let the vermetid live where they are unless they start snotting up my coral, if they do then well it will get snipped.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's what I would suggest. Some people have problems with them being invasive, but usually vermatids are harmless enough. The most trouble the average reefkeeper will have with them is a bothered coral at some point.

Vermatids are less likely to harm things you like than bumblebee snails are, so I would not get the snails. It's too bad, they're pretty.

There's actually a very similar-looking freshwater snail, called an assassin snail, that's great to have because they eat pest snails. They reproduce in aquaria, but at a slow rate- you buy three, and in a couple months you'll have maybe four. This isn't relevant, but I like assassin snails and they look similar, so now I'm thinking about them.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back