Buying larger Angels

Darth_Kirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 20 years in the hobby I’ve kept a lot of different Angels, but never Pomacanthus arcuatus (Grey Angel). I’ve always gotten Angels as small juveniles, there is an opportunity to get this Angel online at 6 inches. Just worried that older Angels could be more difficult getting to acclimate to captivity. This is considered a fairly hardy Angel, just wondering from people that have brought in adult angels how that has gone. I don’t get to see the fish, but trust the company to send a healthy fish.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to bump this too.

French and grey angels are so big, that most of us don't have experience here. I haven't seen adults outside of public aquariums.

I would consider a 6" grey to be a juvenile though. Good luck. Who is the vender, btw?

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see french all the time at this size in one of the shops I go to. They do great from what I've seen. I wouldnt worry like I would an emporer, queen, or similar. The shop is always trying to get me to buy one.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically I get my angels in the 5-7 “ range however I did get a large French. He was 8” when I received him and acclimated seamlessly. Now I got him from a diver in the keys so super short supply chain which I am sure helps a bit. He is now about 10”.

2B95190A-88E1-4D15-BAF8-F25D14AFD577.jpeg

OP
OP
Darth_Kirk

Darth_Kirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, the vendor is Live Aquaria. They seem to be the only vendor that typically has them. My LFS doesn’t get Caribbean fish very readily.

Years ago I saw about a 20 inch Grey in the shops at Caesars Palace, I’ve wanted one ever since. I lost a really old 13 inch Mac Angel at the end of last year , he would be a good replacement. The tank is square, 5x5x2.5, so about 460 gallons with lots of swimming room.

My qt isn’t up right now, so I need to get to work.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am not sure what your budget is but you should look into Poma Labs for captive bred blue line , Singapore and the dreamy conspicuous angelfishes .
But captive bred that are eating pellets , no disease and no need to quarantine !!! Plus come in with 30 day warranty and Matt is a dream guy to work with ..

we need more support for captive breds !!!

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen many French and Grey Angels diving down in the Caribbean. Gorgeous Angel Fish... They get 16-20 INCHES at full grown in the wild. I also so a full grown one in a 1600 Gallon Tank....

OP
OP
Darth_Kirk

Darth_Kirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am not sure what your budget is but you should look into Poma Labs for captive bred blue line , Singapore and the dreamy conspicuous angelfishes .
But captive bred that are eating pellets , no disease and no need to quarantine !!! Plus come in with 30 day warranty and Matt is a dream guy to work with ..

we need more support for captive breds !!!
I checked the sight out, very cool. I had a Crosshatch pair for years, that was the height of my budget, and they were only $400 a piece back then. Conspics are spectacular though.

Conrad Noto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically I get my angels in the 5-7 “ range however I did get a large French. He was 8” when I received him and acclimated seamlessly. Now I got him from a diver in the keys so super short supply chain which I am sure helps a bit. He is now about 10”.

2B95190A-88E1-4D15-BAF8-F25D14AFD577.jpeg
One of Jason's??

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes
is that Foxy? I plan on adding another Angel with the Grey, a Queen would be ideal....worried my Passer might be a jerk if only one is added
yes, foxy. If you set the tank up right and I think you should be fine. I have six large angels in my system including both a pastor and a queen. If possible get the queen as big as her even a little bit bigger than the passer. Ensure that the tank is consistently well fed, there’s ample water volume and plenty of line of sight breaks.

OP
OP
Darth_Kirk

Darth_Kirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes

yes, foxy. If you set the tank up right and I think you should be fine. I have six large angels in my system including both a pastor and a queen. If possible get the queen as big as her even a little bit bigger than the passer. Ensure that the tank is consistently well fed, there’s ample water volume and plenty of line of sight breaks.
Thanks, I haven’t been active on the message boards the last few years, getting some good info. I think I will us that site, you’re happy with them I gather?

I had 5 large Angels in here at one point, Mac, French, Koran, Emperor, and Passer. The first 3 I had more than 10 years. There was a huge Sohal in there too, he was the unquestioned alpha. He didn’t put up with other fish being aggressive. In my experience, 2 can be bad, more usually works out.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally
Thanks, I haven’t been active on the message boards the last few years, getting some good info. I think I will us that site, you’re happy with them I gather?

I had 5 large Angels in here at one point, Mac, French, Koran, Emperor, and Passer. The first 3 I had more than 10 years. There was a huge Sohal in there too, he was the unquestioned alpha. He didn’t put up with other fish being aggressive. In my experience, 2 can be bad, more usually works out.
totally agree. Kind of like the cichlid mentality. I have queen, emporer, blue face, Annularis and French.

I was very pleased with Foxy. Fish came in and looked so healthy. The super short supply chain helps tons!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back