buying saltwater fish online

Bret888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Looking for recommendations for online saltwater fish purchase. I used to always use LiveAquaria and was very happy with what I got (quality and all), but for a long while now they just have nothing in stock. currently looking for midas blenny large africa, large pearly jawfish, peppermint shrimp, sea hare, large turbo snails...

Any other suggestions on an online store?

Thanks

Bret

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Looking for recommendations for online saltwater fish purchase. I used to always use LiveAquaria and was very happy with what I got (quality and all), but for a long while now they just have nothing in stock. currently looking for midas blenny large africa, large pearly jawfish, peppermint shrimp, sea hare, large turbo snails...

Any other suggestions on an online store?

Thanks

Bret

@tsmaquatics
Not sure if they have your selection though

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to get my Royal Gramma online as my LFS does not carry them on a regular basis, they carry them from time to time. The rest of the fish on my stocking list I’ll almost certainly be getting at my LFS. That includes stuff like PJ Cardinals, Ocellaris Clowns (Captive Bred), and Yellow Watchman Gobies. The Tiger Pistol Shrimp I’ll have to get online. The Blue Tuxedo Urchin that I plan as part of my CuC will also have to be purchased online. Even though the online vendors I have chosen are in the same city (this is China), the livestock still takes about 24 hours to reach me. Without risking ammonia buildup think I’ll just float and dump and discard the bag water. You guys in the Western Hemisphere have the Royal Gramma as standard LFS fare.

If ordering online with a 24 hour + transit time do you guys just float for 15-20 minutes then net the fish or inverts straight into a tank? Or do you do the whole drip acclimation thing?

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get all my fish from @OceanDevotionLA. They're based here in SoCal so I don't have to get them shipped, but I've known many people that buy from Adam and get them shipped all over the place. All my fish are healthy and have remained healthy in our tank for 7 months now. www.oceandevotionla.com

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With transit times of over 24 hours do you guys just float for 15-20 minutes then dump straight into the tank or do you drip acclimate?

Float in sump with doors closed (remember they were in pure darkness for a bit) & drip acclimate for 40 minutes, then in the tank they go.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts definitely!!! Inverts will die from bad acclimation way before a fish will, they are very sensitive. I drip fish for 20 mins and inverts for almost an hour. Make sure to put a bubbler in the acclimation bucket because it helps with oxygen and to get rid of ammonia :)

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With transit times of over 24 hours do you guys just float for 15-20 minutes then dump straight into the tank or do you drip acclimate?
I had fedex delay my fish for a day so it was 36 hours before I picked up. Since my salinity was very close to the shipping salinity they had me dump them right in after floating the bag for a while to avoid ammonia burn once the bag was opened. One tiny goby was DOA, one larger one died a few days later. The remainder (1 large goby, 1 tiny goby, and a cleaner shrimp) are AOK a few weeks later. I would ask the vendor what they recommend. This would not have been a good idea if they had shipped in a low salinity which some do.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back