Byropsis driving me mad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Brett c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a major problem with some sort of algae I run a large fuge but the algae in the tank is out competing it.

I am concerned that The Triton method elementz are boosting the algae in the tank I have tired flux RX with out any luck

Any one have idea how I can beat the algae in my tank?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More information is needed.
Need to know everything and pictures of the algae will be most helpful.
I am doubtful that Triton is the cause, but one never knows.

OP
OP
B

Brett c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters are all fine nitrates and phosphate are zero tank is 800 litres

Everything coral wise looks ok

Running 4 t5 bulbs for 4 hours a day and 3 radions xr15 on ab+ photo period about 9hours

d9dd4b7f682d923d6a21a3eaee3861b4.jpg

107d49bfc6cad9fe263689fde4e13901.jpg

8afb803f8f9fa66cafebf572e3a81e6f.jpg

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters are all fine nitrates and phosphate are zero tank is 800 litres

Everything coral wise looks ok

Running 4 t5 bulbs for 4 hours a day and 3 radions xr15 on ab+ photo period about 9hours

d9dd4b7f682d923d6a21a3eaee3861b4.jpg

107d49bfc6cad9fe263689fde4e13901.jpg

8afb803f8f9fa66cafebf572e3a81e6f.jpg

Nitrates and phosphates at 0 are not fine and will encourage certain types of algae, but even worse may encourage dinos which are far worse than most algae.

Not easy to tell what kind of algae you have from the pics. A pic without the blues on would help. Bryopsis will have flat serrated branches/leaves.

A foxface will often eat it but there’s no guarantee.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from my own experience, lettuce sea slugs aren’t effective enough (and they don’t seem to last very long, for me anyways ). beautiful creatures though.

my first thought is to what light you are running over yr refugium? the ‘fuge light needs to outcompete the tank lights.

are you using chaeto? if yes, how long? might want to try Ulva sea lettuce as an alternative down the road.

small tweaks; it’s a process of elimination. ;Bookworm

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Api Algaefix will knock that out in a week then stay on top of your bacteria like dosing eco balance after and that worked for me.

OP
OP
B

Brett c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from my own experience, lettuce sea slugs aren’t effective enough (and they don’t seem to last very long, for me anyways ). beautiful creatures though.

my first thought is to what light you are running over yr refugium? the ‘fuge light needs to outcompete the tank lights.

are you using chaeto? if yes, how long? might want to try Ulva sea lettuce as an alternative down the road.

small tweaks; it’s a process of elimination. ;Bookworm

I have a Kessil 380 and a A80
Over the fuge I run cheato and calurpa in the fuge

I am just finishing a course of Flux RX then I will siphon as much algae out as possible and put the fuge back In service

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's bryopsis just use a single dose of Fluconazole (with skimmer turned off for two weeks) to completely kill it. If you do have a bryopsis outbreak that is the reason that your phosphates are zero. Once you get kill off the bryopsis you'll be able to maintain a measurable level of phosphate and your corals will be happier.

serwobow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole worked excellent for me to kill off all bryopsis and hair algae. There are many descriptions of its use on this forum. I recommend to do the flucon treatment and also add about 1 turbo snail per 5 gallons to help prevent algae grow-back at a later date. Worked for me. Have been bryopsis and hair algae free for about a year now after a major infestation.

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole has removed bryopsis from my tank, and it has also killed 90% of my SPS, only for the bryopsis to come back within a few weeks. Same result with both Reef Flux, and Flux RX. Take great care when using it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back