C-SEA Coral Propagation Program

erm213

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C-SEA is excited to announce the beginning of the C-SEA Coral Propagation Program for its members.

Please see the link below for the Propagation Program Forum:
C-SEA CPP Forum

C-SEA Coral Propagation Program
Purpose:
One of the objectives of the Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast Association is to, “Foster the growth of a sustainable marine aquarium hobby through, education and responsible reef husbandry by its members.†The coral propagation program aims to do this by challenging and encouraging members to propagate specific corals in their own tanks while sharing their success.

Brief Overview:
The program will only be available to club members and be run on a point system. Everyone starts with three points. When a member takes or “sponsors†a coral, they lose a point. Members with zero points are not able sponsor anymore coral except in special cases (more on that later). Members that return a sponsored coral after growing it out or donate one receive a point up to a maximum of five points.

In addition to the points system, the corals in the propagation program will be divided into one of five groups, SPS, LPS, Palys/Zoas, Softies/Anemones, and Other. Members earning back points for a coral that they sponsored or donated will gain rank in the group that that coral belongs to.

The Points System:
The points system has been successfully used by other clubs and is in place to help prevent abuse of the propagation system as well as making sure that the coral is more evenly distributed.

Using Points:
All members wishing to participate will receive three points to start with. When a member receives a coral to sponsor, they lose a point. When a member has zero points, they are no longer able to sponsor any more corals until they return a sponsored coral or donate an acceptable frag to the propagation program. Exceptions will be made in the case that there are extra corals that nobody is willing to sponsor and the propagation committee approves it. Additionally, members that have killed their sponsored coral (hey, it happens!) will, with approval from the propagation committee, be allowed to sponsor additional coral.

While all members are encouraged to seek help if they need it, members that have had trouble keeping their sponsored coral alive will be provided some mentoring to help them improve their coral husbandry skills. Mentoring can include going over maintenance schedules, focusing on water parameters, inspecting flow and lighting within the tank and anything else that may help the member to improve

Earning Points:
Points are awarded to members when they return a sponsored coral or donate a coral to the propagation program. Members are able to have a maximum of five points at one time.

While points are awarded for returning a sponsored coral, the goal of the program is to have members propagate the coral they are sponsoring. When a member returns a coral they sponsored it should be a frag of the original. Ideally the frag that is returned should be about the size of the original frag received. Frags that are too small hinder the program by making it more difficult for the frags next sponsor.

Donating a Coral / Returning a Frag
When members donate a coral or return a frag to be sponsored, the donor should provide a completed propagation form. The propagation form is a template that will educate the next sponsor about what conditions the frag was kept in and help them to meet the requirements for further propagation.

Sponsoring a Coral
To sponsor a coral, a member just has to make sure they have the requisite points and skill to take on their new coral. To help prepare, it is advised that the sponsor do a bit of research on the coral they plan on requesting.

Tracking Corals:
Tracking all of the frags involved in the program will take place in a special section on the C-SEA website. Frags that are becoming available will be listed and members can get in line to sponsor them. The propagation committee will monitor this section of the website to help keep it running smoothly.

Ranking:
Participants in the program will be able to gain rank in the different coral categories. Achieving rank in a category allows a member to be eligible to sponsor more difficult to care for corals. Ranks are as follows for each category: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum. A member can move up in rank by propagating three corals in their current rank.

The ranking system helps prevent members from trying to sponsor a coral above their current ability. For more experienced members that would like to leapfrog over the easier to propagate coral, they can donate a coral they have propagated to demonstrate their ability. The propagation committee will assess the difficulty ranking of any donated coral.

Please see the link above for more info!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back