C02 scrubber vs media reactor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the big difference in the co2 scrubber and just using one of your media reactors? I have an extra media reactor laying around and want to use it but when I put just a little bit of water in the bottom on the media reactor it just bubbles and gets the media wet. Is the scrubber much different?

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scrubber does the same thing. I just skip the water because it didn't seem to make a difference on the effectiveness of the media.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I think I was adding to much water is why I was getting the bubbling. I was adding about 3 tbsp and it was blocking the cut out grooves on the bottom on the canister which is why it was bubbling. With 1 tbsp it doesn't bubble at all.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping the air moist seems to make the scrubber media last a lot longer (especially here in Denver where the air is really dry). There was a recent thread (which I can't find now_ that described DIYing a mini humidifier that you put in line in front of the scrubber, I gave it a try and I think it helps a lot.

Basically just get a small plastic jar or something with a screw top lid, and drill two holes in the top that are just slightly smaller than the tubing (so you get a tight fit). Run some tubing from the jar to the intake of the scrubber, and leave it sticking just down into the jar. Stick another short length of tubing in the other hole, also sticking just down into the jar. When the jar is mostly full off water, it will draw air in the short tube, across the water surface, and out the other tube to the scrubber. Don't fill the water up too high or you'll get bubbling noises.

I found that thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/co2-scrubbing-an-unexpected-journey-chasing-numbers.305924/

There's a good picture in the first post, using an empty Acropower bottle.

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping the air moist seems to make the scrubber media last a lot longer (especially here in Denver where the air is really dry). There was a recent thread (which I can't find now_ that described DIYing a mini humidifier that you put in line in front of the scrubber, I gave it a try and I think it helps a lot.

Basically just get a small plastic jar or something with a screw top lid, and drill two holes in the top that are just slightly smaller than the tubing (so you get a tight fit). Run some tubing from the jar to the intake of the scrubber, and leave it sticking just down into the jar. Stick another short length of tubing in the other hole, also sticking just down into the jar. When the jar is mostly full off water, it will draw air in the short tube, across the water surface, and out the other tube to the scrubber. Don't fill the water up too high or you'll get bubbling noises.

I found that thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/co2-scrubbing-an-unexpected-journey-chasing-numbers.305924/

There's a good picture in the first post, using an empty Acropower bottle.

Ah yes I could see that in a dryer climate. Here in Houston, 50% RH feels great which is where the house stays even with a dehumidifier and the AC running 24/7 365.

I did add a small amount or RO water the first time and had a little bubbling but didn't see a difference in lifespan probably due to the humidity.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too found from the same thread as above and made one as per the suggestion of @Ty Hamatake. Hope this below picture helps you.

ordinary one liter drinking water bottle, two holes in the top, glued with air tube hose connector. Made a short tube extended inside the bottle for air intake of the scrubber (you can see on the below image a small tube on the right most extended inside.

From right - 1st bend tube is the air intake to scrubber from the humidifier
2nd tube is the outside air to the humidifier

IMG_3988.JPG

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too found from the same thread as above and made one as per the suggestion of @Ty Hamatake. Hope this below picture helps you.

ordinary one liter drinking water bottle, two holes in the top, glued with air tube hose connector. Made a short tube extended inside the bottle for air intake of the scrubber (you can see on the below image a small tube on the right most extended inside.

From right - 1st bend tube is the air intake to scrubber from the humidifier
2nd tube is the outside air to the humidifier

IMG_3988.JPG
Have you noticed any difference since adding the humidifier?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frankly speaking I haven it checked any thing in this weekend got stuck with the family outing. Will check in this week and and will keep you informed.
@Ty Hamatake thanks for your followup. :):):)
If you haven't I would recomend making the air tube bigger.
What is that 1/4 inch?
How long is the run to outside air?
I'm using 3/4 tubing and kinda want to up it to an inch as I feel that it's only restricting the air flow.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the big difference in the co2 scrubber and just using one of your media reactors? I have an extra media reactor laying around and want to use it but when I put just a little bit of water in the bottom on the media reactor it just bubbles and gets the media wet. Is the scrubber much different?

Great thread guys!

The biggest difference between the two are the port size. The CO2 scrubber has 1/4" ports with 3/8" barbed fittings, while the media reactors have 1/2" ports. With the right fittings, essentially you could convert a media reactor into a scrubber! :)

-Randy

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me to seems better to use a media reactor if I want more air flow so my skimmer doesn't feel restricted. Is this correct or is there a benefit to the smaller size on the co2 scrubber?

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me to seems better to use a media reactor if I want more air flow so my skimmer doesn't feel restricted. Is this correct or is there a benefit to the smaller size on the co2 scrubber?
Bigger is better, then use a valve to adjust your flow.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use one of the BRS CO2 scrubbers so it comes with 1/2" tubing - I used some of the same tubing between the DIY humidifier and the scrubber. I'd be worried that 1/4" tubing would restrict the airflow too much.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since BRS is not shipping to India, (Please note @randyBRS ) I was not able to get the scrubber from them. So I have converted an RO housing unit as a scrubber and unfortunately in the place where i live I would not able to find an converter to 1/2" and also I have sealed the hole in the wall with this 1/4" tubing. If I have to change I have to break it again :(. So far the skimmate is thick and black. I have Checked the pH in my friend's pH meter and its showing only 7.8 (increase by 0.1). I am not going to run behind it as of now, since there are other targets to be accomplished and after that I will come for it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back