OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found most ORA bred/captive breds are tiny. Tank looks good though! I just set up my own CADE 1200 and I’ve been lazy to take pics.
New aptasia eating file fish added! From ORA through algae barn. I was shocked how small he was!
Hahaha thank you! I’ve been taking them so I don’t forget what is looked like at the start. Itll never be as clean as it is now

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E10741D3-BE82-41CE-A3F4-C6CB30CF8661.jpeg

Here is a photo of the dosing system before it was routed into the sump

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

reeftwincities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has accidentally ended up being an aqua-cultured tank for the most part. I don't think you will regret it. I've had decent luck with Biota. Good luck!!

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big day today!

I added the fish that got me into the hobby, while I know he is not aquaculture. This is the fish that got me into the hobby 8 years ago. I finally have a tank big enough to house him. He came a bit bigger than I expected.

I purchased him from @tsmaquatics, they did a great job with this fish. He is healthy, fat, and already nibbling at my rocks. He isn't skittish at all either. He is about 4inches in size.

As you can see in the photos he is much bigger than his tank mates!

I am also starting to get a coating of brown on the new reef rock and some slight traces of cyano. I do dose bacteria weekly along with a calcium mix for coral snow to clear up the water. it has made my water extremely clear.

In the pictures the water may look not as clear, that is because the foxface shed like crazy when he first got in.
IMG_5577.jpg
IMG_5578.jpg

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has accidentally ended up being an aqua-cultured tank for the most part. I don't think you will regret it. I've had decent luck with Biota. Good luck!!
Im sprinkling in some non aquacultured fish. But the Aquacultured will dominate the tank for sure!

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IN not as big news today. I did bolster the clean up crew a bit for the algae. I added 6 more tubro snails. I was hoping to pick up more trocus snails but i can't seem to find any!!

I also added a green toadstool, only $30 for a pretty good size one of about 3 inches.

I am trying to add clean up crew as a balance to algae, i don't want to add too many at one time. Hoping to find a happy medium to algae grown and clean up crew.

I will need some extra help in the sand bed. Maybe another conch and some nerites.

IMG_5572.jpg
IMG_5571.jpg

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did forget to update that I upgraded the protein Skimmer last week! I purchased the Octo Essence 130. It is still being broken in but i think this will be a great fit for my sump so i still have ample space to place rock and potentially macro algae.

So far so good with the tank. The filefish is giving me some trouble eating. I kept him in a breeder box because when i first released him, the 6 line was picking on him, the clowns also nipped at him (i think they thought he was flake food lol). This is the first time i saw the 6 line be aggressive. Since added him the 6 line has left him alone for the most part of what i can see. the file fish is also staring to color up more which is good! He prefers the freeze dried brine from BRS. I think because it is small enough for him to eat. I am attaching a photo of him as well. I know it is blurry but the camera wont focus on him!

Other thank that, I am running blue light all day everyday for the time being. Hoping to minimize the ugly faze as much as possible. I think in 2 weeks time i will start to introduce white light throughout the day.
IMG_5579.jpg
IMG_5568.jpeg

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found most ORA bred/captive breds are tiny. Tank looks good though! I just set up my own CADE 1200 and I’ve been lazy to take pics.
New aptasia eating file fish added! From ORA through algae barn. I was shocked how small he was!
You should post pics! I found it hard setting mine up for the first time because there weren't too may out there!

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did forget to update that I upgraded the protein Skimmer last week! I purchased the Octo Essence 130. It is still being broken in but i think this will be a great fit for my sump so i still have ample space to place rock and potentially macro algae.

So far so good with the tank. The filefish is giving me some trouble eating. I kept him in a breeder box because when i first released him, the 6 line was picking on him, the clowns also nipped at him (i think they thought he was flake food lol). This is the first time i saw the 6 line be aggressive. Since added him the 6 line has left him alone for the most part of what i can see. the file fish is also staring to color up more which is good! He prefers the freeze dried brine from BRS. I think because it is small enough for him to eat. I am attaching a photo of him as well. I know it is blurry but the camera wont focus on him!

Other thank that, I am running blue light all day everyday for the time being. Hoping to minimize the ugly faze as much as possible. I think in 2 weeks time i will start to introduce white light throughout the day.
IMG_5579.jpg
IMG_5568.jpeg
Annnnnnd just like that I woke up this morning to the filefish dead on the pump. Really not sure how he died. Maybe stress from the wrasse. He ate fine everyday, but was always extremely shy and stayed toward the top of the tank.

reeftwincities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. I recently lost a filefish to a pump after a tank transfer. Hard to tell if it was weak from the move or just a poor swimmer. I had rescued him once before several months back though. Lesson finally learned—better pump covers for me. Good luck!

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. I recently lost a filefish to a pump after a tank transfer. Hard to tell if it was weak from the move or just a poor swimmer. I had rescued him once before several months back though. Lesson finally learned—better pump covers for me. Good luck!
He was a strong swimmer when he had to be, otherwise he would just leisurely swim. I am really not sure. I think I will just have to buy bigger next time

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

It has been some time since I've done an update. I have added some coral and 2 fish since the last update. I added the two fish today so that is what sparked me to come back.

I added a Bristle-Tooth tang, as well as a yellow tang. Both are from TSM Aquatics and the yellow was captive bred! I had to wait some time for them both to be done to pick them up at the same date so they could be added together. Everything went very smoothly so far!

I still haven't been able to tune in the skimmer, I had it running for 3 months and it was still constantly overflowing. I may have to get something to prop it up so it sits higher in the sump. I have the water level in the parameters recommended but maybe my water just isn't dirty enough yet. Maybe with the addition of the two fish it will be.

I also performed another ICP test! Everything came back perfect except for Calcium and Magnesium were slightly low. I am still not dosing regularly as my coral population is still low. I added their recommended doses and will test again in three months.

Still trying to take things slow with this tank and do everything right. we had a slight ugly phase but so far so good. The only pest I am dealing with is aptasia. Every Sunday i suck 5 gallons out of the sump to do some cleaning, replenish, then hit them with some Frank's F. Their numbers are low now, so i don't think i will need a filefish or a copperband but we will see.

I plan to add some more pods soon, as well as trochus snails whenever I can get my hands on them!

I did steer away from the full aquacultured tank because there are just some fish I have wanted for 8 years and this is the fish time i can house them in an appropriate tank.

The only mishap so far with the Cade was the ATO line leaked. It seemed the plastic clips they provided to tie the lines together broke somehow? Still a mystery to me. Either way water leaked into the bottom of the stand and under the sump. I cleaned it up as best I could. no water got on the carpet which is great and it wasn't a lot of water. I am very thankful that I decided to drill my power bricks into brackets off the ground! Could have been a very expensive leak otherwise! I double zip tied both ends for now and am searching for a better solution.

I will add photos of the fish once they warm up a bit and i can get some good shots. For now enjoy some pics of the coral! They're not all happy since they were just added!

First Is the hot pink rock flower, it should color up a bit better.
IMG_6383.jpg
IMG_6382.jpg

Next is the GREEN SPLATTER HAMMER
IMG_6386.jpg
IMG_6387.jpg

Finally the utter chaos which hasn't opened yet!

IMG_6385.jpg
IMG_6384.jpg

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great, and I am a cade owner too - love them

saw in your earlier post about a gold-lined rabbit fish - can I suggest you think hard on this? I received a CB biota and it was tiny, and with less than a year, it was filet size, and one of the least interesting fish I have owned - caught it and it went to a doctors office display.

The fox face is a beauty though

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great, and I am a cade owner too - love them

saw in your earlier post about a gold-lined rabbit fish - can I suggest you think hard on this? I received a CB biota and it was tiny, and with less than a year, it was filet size, and one of the least interesting fish I have owned - caught it and it went to a doctors office display.

The fox face is a beauty though
So with the FoxFace being in the tank, there wont be any more rabbitfish being added. My tank isn't big enough to house two. I am happy I went with the magnificent.

When you say CB are you referring to the copperband?

Longatto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

It has been some time since I've done an update. I have added some coral and 2 fish since the last update. I added the two fish today so that is what sparked me to come back.

I added a Bristle-Tooth tang, as well as a yellow tang. Both are from TSM Aquatics and the yellow was captive bred! I had to wait some time for them both to be done to pick them up at the same date so they could be added together. Everything went very smoothly so far!

I still haven't been able to tune in the skimmer, I had it running for 3 months and it was still constantly overflowing. I may have to get something to prop it up so it sits higher in the sump. I have the water level in the parameters recommended but maybe my water just isn't dirty enough yet. Maybe with the addition of the two fish it will be.

I also performed another ICP test! Everything came back perfect except for Calcium and Magnesium were slightly low. I am still not dosing regularly as my coral population is still low. I added their recommended doses and will test again in three months.

Still trying to take things slow with this tank and do everything right. we had a slight ugly phase but so far so good. The only pest I am dealing with is aptasia. Every Sunday i suck 5 gallons out of the sump to do some cleaning, replenish, then hit them with some Frank's F. Their numbers are low now, so i don't think i will need a filefish or a copperband but we will see.

I plan to add some more pods soon, as well as trochus snails whenever I can get my hands on them!

I did steer away from the full aquacultured tank because there are just some fish I have wanted for 8 years and this is the fish time i can house them in an appropriate tank.

The only mishap so far with the Cade was the ATO line leaked. It seemed the plastic clips they provided to tie the lines together broke somehow? Still a mystery to me. Either way water leaked into the bottom of the stand and under the sump. I cleaned it up as best I could. no water got on the carpet which is great and it wasn't a lot of water. I am very thankful that I decided to drill my power bricks into brackets off the ground! Could have been a very expensive leak otherwise! I double zip tied both ends for now and am searching for a better solution.

I will add photos of the fish once they warm up a bit and i can get some good shots. For now enjoy some pics of the coral! They're not all happy since they were just added!

IMG_6383.jpg
IMG_6382.jpg

IMG_6386.jpg
IMG_6387.jpg

IMG_6385.jpg
IMG_6384.jpg
Looking great. do you have a pic of the broken part that caused the leak?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

IMG_6383.jpg
IMG_6382.jpg

IMG_6386.jpg
IMG_6387.jpg

IMG_6385.jpg
IMG_6384.jpg
Tank is looking great so far!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back