CADE 2100 - New Build Thread - Reef Stock Denver 2022

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great mate! Love the simplicity of your scape, and what a beauty if a tank! I own a 1200 myself, sadly didn't have room to go any bigger! Enjoy the journey- and thank you for bringing us along!

OP
OP
RickSanford

RickSanford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates. Just added a 2100 to my list of possibilities for my next upgrade and wonder if you have any regrets?
I haven't posted an update in a while - thanks for asking.

I do have one regret - and that is ordering the ClearView Pisces EXO lid without accounting for deflection in the front glass after the tank is filled with water [I ordered the lid (3 pieces) soon after I took delivery and long before I added water].

There is approximately a 3/8" deflection in the front center of the tank as compared with the ends after it has been filled with water. My lids fit PERFECTLY when the tank was dry. Now - I have to be very careful when I place the sections (especially the center) to ensure they don't slip off the edges.

For clarity the regret is my own impatience in not understanding there would be deflection [expected as designed] - even with the heavy-duty build of the 2100.

Otherwise, I can't endorse the 2100 strongly enough! I have ZERO regrets about buying this model from this manufacturer and having it delivered by the US distributor (Algae Barn). Everything has exceeded my expectations.

Wildlife Update:
9 ea Blue-green Chromis
1 ea Lyretail Anthias (female)
1 ea Powder Blue Tang
1ea Sailfin Tang
5 ea Azure Damselfish
1 ea Starry Blenny
1 ea Mandarin Goby
1 ea Blood Red Fire Shrimp

Clean Up Crew:
2 ea Red Sea Urchins
5 ea Mexican Turbo snails - large
10 ea Nassarius snails
10 ea Cerith snails
10 ea Astrea snails
10 ea Blue Leg Hermits

I'll share some photos/video with the lights on tomorrow.

OP
OP
RickSanford

RickSanford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. The deflection is something I have never thought about. I have never had a larger tank that wasn't framed so I've never really observed it. I wonder if euro bracing would help? More research guess.
My guess would be yes - euro bracing would likely help. I think CADE is trying to make the tank disappear with their choice of glass and configuration - which wouldn’t be possible with the additional bracing.

OP
OP
RickSanford

RickSanford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick video - proof of life - fish only ATM. Parameters stabilized - corals coming soon. Urchins and Fancy Red Cleaner Shrimp decided to miss this edition of 'Smile, you're on candid reefcam'.

Wildlife Update:
9 ea Blue-green Chromis
1 ea Lyretail Anthias (female) turned male
1 ea Powder Blue Tang
1ea Sailfin Tang
5 ea Azure Damselfish
1 ea Starry Blenny
1 ea Diamond Goby
1 ea Blood Red Fire Shrimp
2 ea Caramel Ocellaris (matched & captive bred)
2 ea Banggai Cardinal

Clean Up Crew:
2 ea Red Sea Urchins
5 ea Mexican Turbo snails - large
10 ea Nassarius snails
10 ea Cerith snails
10 ea Astrea snails
10 ea Blue Leg Hermits

Last edited:

Mark in Ohio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I can't wait to see it develop.

Anyway, I am also considering one of these beasts and I was wondering if you could offer any insight into moving the stand. Clearly the way it arrives, it is not a 2-person job (I think I read 420 lbs.). So how hard is it to remove all the doors, take out the sump, etc.? And after doing that, are each of the pieces manageable?

Thanks!

OP
OP
RickSanford

RickSanford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mark - thanks for the compliment.

My wife and I moved the stand inside using two, four wheeled, furniture dollies. It is large and awkward but was manageable. We didn't, however, have to move this system up stairs.

In specific answer to your question, Algae Barn has produced a video showing how the stand doors can be removed. Looks to be pretty simple - though I've not tried it.

The stand supports are also screwed in place and look to be easy to remove - also with a Phillips screwdriver. The sump is shipped with supports screwed in place at all four corners on the bottom and across the top at the back corner braces - all look to be removable with a screwdriver as well.

The sump is a ~55" x 24" x 16" glass box without any type of frame around it. Moving it by itself is certainly possible but extra care will be necessary. Using the glass suctions cups as below would be safest - but even then - very close attention should be paid to not inadvertently bumping the edges on anything because there is no protection.

The tank, at 620 lbs, is the real beast. The reason its so challenging is that glass suction cups cannot be used across the back of the tank (behind the ATO) as it's covered with decorative black textured vinyl that wraps around to the front side of the ATO (looks awesome). So moving it without furniture dollies, a tank lift and/or minimum 4 good sized muscled people is going to be close to impossible (the lift from the floor to the top of the leveled stand is >36"). We had a total of five guys and six 9" suction cups https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/aquarium-supplies/powr-grip-suction-cups/ (theirs are returnable in good condition after your move) plus a tank lift and dollies. The outside bottom of the tank is covered in white textured vinyl material that will rip if it slides on anything - so the move is pick and place each step of the way (super minimal sliding except of well protected surfaces).

I can't say enough good about the quality of this product. I own the second one sold in the USA (though I'm much farther behind in getting mine up and running) and the fit/finish is exemplary. You won't be disappointed if you decide on the 2100.

Best Wishes whatever path you choose!

Mark in Ohio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed response! I intend to hire professionals for the tank, but with some disassembly, I'm hoping we can manage the stand on our own. We have 3 steps up into the house, so no rolling there! I guess I won't know until I try...

One question - isn't the panel between the tank and the ATO black? Why do you need to be careful of the back of the ATO?

Thanks again!

OP
OP
RickSanford

RickSanford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed response! I intend to hire professionals for the tank, but with some disassembly, I'm hoping we can manage the stand on our own. We have 3 steps up into the house, so no rolling there! I guess I won't know until I try...

One question - isn't the panel between the tank and the ATO black? Why do you need to be careful of the back of the ATO?

Thanks again!
The suction cups won‘t suction to the textured vinyl - and even if they did - they would most certainly rip away from the glass. Great idea to hire the pros for the tank!

Yes, the front of the ATO is black so if there is damage to the rear of the tank - there is another layer of opaqueness that would prevent it from being seen from the front.

Best wishes with the move logistics!

OP
OP
RickSanford

RickSanford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A short video of the tank two weeks ago. Slowly making progress. Keen eyes will note early stages of a cyano bloom that I've just corrected (thank you Chemiclean). 60g water change completed this morning (3x 20g changes across the past 24 hours) following cyano eradication. Will be adding ozone this week after skimmer settles down to aide in water clarity.

Sump video from overflows through to the return section. Small pump sitting over socks was just used to clean up most of the detritus in sump prior to this video.

Attachments

• output.mov
    50.9 MB
Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back