ztc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Wanted to start a build thread for my new reef tank, hoping that in the months and years to follow it will be good to look back upon

Little bit about me, originally from Scotland but then I wised up about the shocking weather and moved to Australia 4 years ago

Main goals for this tank were:

1. low maintenance as possible
2. Want the reef to move with the flow (softie/LPS)
3. Cheato Refugium to be the main nutrient export

Equipment:

Tank - Cade s2/f 600 in white

Rock - aquaforest

Lighting - 1x AI prime 16hd

Refugium lighting - 1x AI prime Refugium
(Wouldn’t buy again)

Flow - Nero 3

Return pump - Jebao DCS 3000
(Planning to change it out as it has annoying hum :face-with-rolling-eyes:)

Mechanical filtration - Filter floss in a plastic plant pot

Tank covers - DIY Perspex for evaporation

1000020023.jpeg

Tank was delivered, while Jett had to inspect for breakages :face-with-tears-of-joy:

1000020046.jpeg

The tank finally in place, want expecting the stand to be so heavy for 2 people!
Cade looking small compared to my chihuahua

1000020865.jpeg

First try at aqua scaping this tank, wanted it be one reef piece, low in height due to dimensions of the tank with lots of flat areas for corals to grow, I ended up changing this slightly over the next few months due to the height

1000023500.jpeg

Next was to get it filled!… TA DA

I cycled with live bacteria and ammonia as started with dry rock and dry sand. I messed up the ammonia drops while cycling with Dr Tim’s one and only….... 7 weeks later… finished :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Few months passed and I decided it was time for the first fish and corals, because there is no LFS near to where I live, everything has to be shipped

1000025596.jpeg

Fish:
2x wild clowns
1x purple fire fish (decora)
1x Bengaii cardinal

Few softies and LPS

Few months had past everything settling in…
1000025676.jpeg

then that brings us to today!
IMG_4369.jpeg

IMG_4341.jpeg

Waterchange yesterday as per green toadstool Is hating it’s life :smiling-face-with-halo:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

And lastly the engine room

Planning on letting the tank settle for a few more months, then add some more fish and LPS

Thanks guys :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ztc

ztc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to clean the glass this afternoon and take out first bucket of chaeto from sump, not a bad haul

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Starting to get brown film algae over the sand bed and glass, haven’t had any green algae growth in the display so far, so presuming it’s Dino?

Cut back the display lighting to 10 hours, and reduced refugium lighting from 16 to 12 hours….. hoping that’ll work:thinking-face: IMG_4396.jpeg IMG_4396.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ztc

ztc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Can’t seem to get my GSP frag to stay stuck on the back wall, going to include in somewhere into the rockwork…. Just unsure where

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Tided out the sump today, full of crap. Took out the rock that was just collecting detritus, also moved some of the biospheres over to allow filter bag of carbon

OP
OP
ztc

ztc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New test kits arrived:

P04 - 0ppm
N03 - 0ppm
SI - 0ppm

Guess it’s Dino’s? :rolleyes:

Iv lowered my blade Refugium lighting down to 90% on all channels and reduced light period from 12 hours to 6 hours, hoping that will work, what do other people do regarding low nutrients? More fish? More food?

Attachments

• IMG_4611.png
    IMG_4611.png
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4610.png
    IMG_4610.png
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4609.png
    IMG_4609.png
    993.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4606.png
    IMG_4606.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4605.png
    IMG_4605.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 26

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great. I like the size of the tank. But than I am more of a lagoon type a guy.
Actually, more fish should mean more food. So to battle nutrients, you can just start with more food alone.
What are you feeding your fish? Are you dosing other things as well?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost everyone who uses dry rock has issues with Dino’s. There are countless threads here about it, and that’s the main thing in common, because for some reason people start tanks with dry rock.

I would try getting some live rock, you have access to great rock there from Cairns Marine. Also dose microbacter 7 on the daily dose, and of course get snails for the rock and something to turn over the sand bed. Also higher nutrients are your friend here, not lower. Can’t go wrong with more fish food and Red Sea AB+.

OP
OP
ztc

ztc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I added to this thread, quite a lot has changed.

I was suffering from Dino’s for quite a while so I invested in Hanna ULR phosphate checker and HR nitrate checker which confirmed what the salifert tests read. both read 0ppm.

Tank at this point looked like this:
IMG_5394.jpeg

From this I decided to increase feeding from 1 cube of frozen to 2 cubes per day and added some new inhabitants:

1x small tomini tang
1x coral cardinal
3x blue chromis
1x short spine urchin
Few softies

With the previous inhabitants:
2x clowns
1x bengai cardinal
1x fire fish

Bringing the fish up to 9. Now that the tank had a heavy bioload, Dino’s went away. this worked great at bringing my nitrates and phosphate up but simultaneously had an explosion of GHA into the sump, which was surprising when my Hanna phosphate checker routinely read between 0.03-0.08ppm.

IMG_5892.jpeg

The GHA didn’t bother me that much, sump looked pretty rough but as far as keeping nitrate and phosphate in check, it worked well….

The problem came with the sump layout from Cade, the sump just isn’t made to have a refugium, every time I tried to reduce the cheato in the sump tiny pieces of cheato and GHA would break off and clog the media baskets causing the water level to raise resulting in small bits of cheato and GHA making its way over the media baskets and into the Return pump section and up to the DT.
IMG_5505.jpeg

From here I decided that I would switch the bioballs and the cheato around, so placed the bioballs into the main sump chamber and the cheato into the media baskets to see if would reduce the amount of cheato and GHA getting into the return section

IMG_5914.jpeg

Unfortunately, the GHA just seemed to thrive more with the cheato in the media baskets and started to out compete the cheato. Resulting in the media baskets being full of GHA and a mess.

IMG_5904.jpeg

After quite a few months of constantly cleaning out refugium and the DT, I was fed up with the refugium. So decided to switch it up.

Being a Cade 600, the sump is pretty small and hard to fit equipment in.

I had a hard time trying to figure out what could actually fit inside the sump. Eventually I figured I could fit a reef octopus 110S skimmer and a reefmat 250 or 500 without any modifications. Just so happens it lined up with 20% sale that weekend at Victorian LFS

The sale didn’t include the reefmat 250!! Only the 500, so decided to go for the 500 as it was $200 cheaper lol, but I praying my measurements were correct and both would fit into the sump :smiling-face-with-halo:

Last week my new goodies arrived.
Reef octopus 110s skimmer
Reefmat 500
INKBIRD temp controller
Egg crate and egg crate legs + ratchet clips

First job was to install the egg crate stand for my return pump. Currently a food container is doing the job but the wife is complaining that I keep “ruining” them :face-with-tears-of-joy:

IMG_6188.jpeg

Egg crate stand in place

As I was taking the return pump off, I thought I would change to a ratchet clip instead of the stainless steel (which was already started to rust :rolleyes:)
IMG_6187.jpeg

Double 32mm ratchet clip will do the job

Next job was to plumb the reef mat into the sump.
If anyone else is buying a reefmat for a Cade, Red Sea supply both a 40mm to 32mm connector with pipe AND a 32mm union with screw fit for PVC tubing! So you don’t need to buy anything else to plumb it.

image.jpg

Cut the Cade 40mm downpipe as high as possible and pvc cemented the 40mm to 32mm connector, from there I attached the 32mm union to the connector and fitted the pvc flex pipe with some sealant and metal clamp to the screw fit of the union. Nice and simple :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

The only thing that needed to be changed was I removed the corner bracket on the sump (holds it in place for shipping) easily done.

Below is what it currently looks like.

Everything fitted in perfectly!

image.jpg

Reefmat is averaging around 23cm per day. Better than I thought it would be. High of 53cm (cleaned the DT) and a low of 11.5cm

side on view, some carbon and GFO in the media basket with bioballs. Everything so clean for once

image.jpg

Below is my very plain control board. Unsure how everyone else on reef2reef makes it looks so nice?!

image.jpg

Skimmer after 5 days:smiling-face-with-sunglasses: 110s is a beast. Surprised how much gunk it’s pulling out.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Below is my favourite picture of the tank so far. Pre skimmer and reefmat. Hoping over the next few months with minimal fiddling the softies will open up fully again.

IMG_5529.jpeg

Nitrates currently sitting at 12ppm
Phosphate at 0.06ppm

Thanks guys :) image.jpg image.jpg IMG_5528.jpeg IMG_5394.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back