Let there be LIGHT!!!

hybrid%20light.jpg

Cadlights%20165.jpg

2Hearted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fixture is killer. Will you use the T5's at all? How are the AI lights cooled? Are they not completely flush mounted to the top sheet of the ATI fixture?
Also, did you use the stock plumbing from CAD lights? I have a cadlights frag tank as well - almost ripped ALL of my hair out setting it up.
Your setup looks nice! Can we see the guts??

OP
OP
TangingOut

TangingOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The middle 4 T5s were removed and the remaining 4 were re-wired so the 2 closest to the Hydras are on 1 ballast and the other 2 on another. I cut out circles the size of the Hydra fans for cooling. There's actually 2 sheets of metal. The outer cover is untouched.

Besides the returns which I have a converter union for the other holes were re-drilled for standard bulkheads.

Last edited:

2Hearted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The middle 4 T5s were removed and the remaining 4 were re-wired so the 2 closest to the Hydras are on 1 ballast and the other 2 on another. I cut out circles the size of the Hydra fans for cooling. There's actually 2 sheets of metal. The outer cover is untouched.

Besides the returns which I have a converter union for the other holes were re-drilled for standard bulkheads.

Very nice - a lot of work for an expensive tank though. I hope it serves you well. I love mine, just still mad at the company for their BS stock plumbing.

So, do the ATI fans still work also? Meaning, the fixture is cooled by both the AI fans and the ATI fans? I think this is a great idea, and first I have seen. I'm impressed.

OP
OP
TangingOut

TangingOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice - a lot of work for an expensive tank though. I hope it serves you well. I love mine, just still mad at the company for their BS stock plumbing.

So, do the ATI fans still work also? Meaning, the fixture is cooled by both the AI fans and the ATI fans? I think this is a great idea, and first I have seen. I'm impressed.

Yeah, I didn't realize they used metric plumbing. As for the ATI fans, they would work if I didn't accidently rip a couple of the wires out of them. I forget how much ATI wanted for replacements, but it wasn't worth it to me as the AI fans are a lot stronger and with there only being 4 T5 bulbs vs 8

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tony, the tank, stand, and custom lighting look absolutely amazing! It's going to be a stunning masterpiece when you're done. JP

OP
OP
TangingOut

TangingOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rockscape done. Just need another bag of sand. I'm loving the reflection off the back glass and plan on trying to keep it clean this go around. Also installed some soft close cabinet door dampers and some LED strips inside the stand.

And hooray!!! for recess euro bracing.

165%20Rockscape.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was mindful not to build the rockscape too tall this time around to allow coral growout.
A great tip I once learned at a MACNA workshop was to never stack the rocks more than half the tank height. Looks great!

OP
OP
TangingOut

TangingOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update,

Tank is filled to just below the weir to get the cycle started while I wait for my sump to arrive. Water is cloudy so I didn't bother with a picture. I did do a re-aquascape because of that awesome center piece I found at Discount aquariums.

Aquascape2.jpg

I was also able to finish up my control panel. The doser will probably be moved to where the power strip is, which is temporary. Reason why I have to move the doser is because the panel originally had hanging hardware that attached to the stand, but I decided to get a little fancy and switched them out for hinges.

Control%20panel.jpg

Here's the rest of my equipment list:
-ATI sunpower modded with 4 Hydra 26HD
-Maxspect Gyre XF250 x2
-Vortech MP40qd x2(not sure if I'm keeping these, might be too powerful on the back wall)
-Neptune Apex classic
-Skimz monster SM203 DC
-Avast swabbie
-GHL 2.1 standalone doser
-Custom Advanced Acrylics sump and ATO container
-Fluval SP4 return, SP2 utility

Last edited:

Dream54ing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tagging along!!! another great built in the valley!

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along, you're off to a great start. I'm looking forward to see how you like the Gyre's as I'm thinking of switching out my Tunzes for them. Please do a review on them when thing goes wet. awesome build so far.

OP
OP
TangingOut

TangingOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any battery backup for your pumps?

I have the Vortech battery backup, but I'm not sure if I'm keeping the MP40s

Tagging along, you're off to a great start. I'm looking forward to see how you like the Gyre's as I'm thinking of switching out my Tunzes for them. Please do a review on them when thing goes wet. awesome build so far.

Tank has been filled to just below the weirs for a couple days now. I haven't really played with the gyres much. I got them alternating back and forth every 15 sec with a 4 second ramp up and down. 40% forward and 60% reverse. Can't go much higher than 40% without kicking up too much sand. Right now only the top layer just dances a little. When the tank is fully filled, I'll move them up another couple inches and will try 50%. There's a hum to them that's not bad, but noticeable. I hear this is normal during break-in. Overall I really like them and if they become silent, I'll love them. With the returns, they might be all I'll need for now.

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update,

Tank is filled to just below the weir to get the cycle started while I wait for my sump to arrive. Water is cloudy so I didn't bother with a picture. I did do a re-aquascape because of that awesome center piece I found at Discount aquariums.
Your tank looks awesome so far! Quick question -- was all of your rock work from Discount Aquariums? I love the unique shapes you have going on there!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
TangingOut

TangingOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks awesome so far! Quick question -- was all of your rock work from Discount Aquariums? I love the unique shapes you have going on there!

Just the center rock. I think it's a big piece of totoka? The rest were just collected over the past year for this build.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back