Calc overdose help

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to give you all a final update. My calc is still testing in my high range. It really is a long wait to let it fall naturally. Alk has stabilised and I'm not testing daily anymore. I was really excited to see if my sps would start to color up. I had to go out of state for a 3 days and I had my tank sitter come in with the instructions just feed a small pinch of pellets every night. When I came back, I noticed several dead frags and all of my milli colonies where bleached dead. When I started looking into what was wrong I noticed pellets all over the sandbed. I still dont know how much overfeeding had caused this but I immeadiatly started a 3 gal water change to siphon the excess food off the sand bed. It was alot. Within the next few days most of my sps color was awfull I lost another colony, and one of my battle coral frags. In total I lost around 600 dollars in corals. I noticed a cloudiness to the water and was doing small water changes every day. I had diatoms, hair algae, and an explosion of algae on my glass. I'm guessing she triggered another tank cycle with the over feeding. Since my tank was already in recovery mood from my mistakes it was just to much for those sps. Even my frog spawn and hammer looked like they may slip.
Things have finally started to look better. I've even noticed some color comming back at the bases of sps so I'm hoping its finally turning around. I'm done with nano tanks though. When things go bad they go bad fast. I found a 100 gal cube someone was selling on a local facebook group I'm in and I snatched it up. I'll be setting it up over the next few months to start a cycle. I'll be starting a new thread on the build as I plan it out. It's not the ideal upgrade I wanted but for the price I got it at I'm happy for the upgrade and to see how it goes.

How much did she feed? It’s not easy to crash a tank with pellets...Weird that you could still see pellets on the sandbed when you got home. Did you test for ammonia?

This is why I just make my fish go hungry for a few days. I overfeed a few days before though.

Maybe a bacterial bloom dropped the oxygen and caused a pH drop? Any dead /missing fish?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back