Calcium Chloride food grade

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 400g SPS tank is burning through 2 part (really don't want a calcium reactor) and to my shock BRS has doubled the cost of their calcium chloride!

Does this look like a reasonable alternative? Other safe sources out there?
Screenshot_20220218-074938_Chrome.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is a theoretical difference between pharmaceutical grade CaCl - and food grade. This product has 2-3 percent potassium chloride as a 'contaminant'. It also states you need to filter the insoluble residue after mixing. This might make me think twice.

That said, at least according to their safety data sheet there are no other 'bad' contaminants listed.

Here is the data on BRS - compared to other Ca solutions:

I would GUESS that its 'ok'. I know @Randy Holmes-Farley has recommended various food-grade chemicals - hopefully he will comment

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a good choice, and I would not be sure it is any less desirable than USP grade (pharma). Food grade and pharma grade specs are often identical or very similar.

I showed here that the potassium in Dowflake was a positive, not a negative:

Interestingly, the potassium present as an impurity in the Dowflake works to our advantage in this use. Recipe #1 has 1,342 ppm potassium in its calcium part. That amount puts it in the right ratio relative to other ions in the recipe (chloride, sodium, etc.) so that it is neither boosted nor depleted significantly over time based on salinity changes (see modeling below).

OP
OP
pfoxgrover

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to you both for the help. I do dose potassium chloride already as I believe my ATS depletes it.
Do you think the potency is different by volume compared to the powder, this is pellets I believe? I do have a scale but have been using measuring cups.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to you both for the help. I do dose potassium chloride already as I believe my ATS depletes it.
Do you think the potency is different by volume compared to the powder, this is pellets I believe? I do have a scale but have been using measuring cups.

The bulk density of solids does vary a bit, but the food grade material above is extra potent since it is anhydrous. that makes it 20% more potent by mass.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 400g SPS tank is burning through 2 part (really don't want a calcium reactor) and to my shock BRS has doubled the cost of their calcium chloride!

Does this look like a reasonable alternative? Other safe sources out there?
Screenshot_20220218-074938_Chrome.jpg
What is the reason for the price increase, I bought 20 one gallon mix bags so long ago I forget how much they were. Is the calcium the only additive product of theirs with this price increase?

OP
OP
pfoxgrover

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the reason for the price increase, I bought 20 one gallon mix bags so long ago I forget how much they were. Is the calcium the only additive product of theirs with this price increase?
I bought a 35lb bucket from brs on sale in Nov. 2022 for $93, I think that was on sale from $120 and it used to be around $100. $200 seems like an insane price hike.

OP
OP
pfoxgrover

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I purchased 100lb of the briners choice. Will try to drop some feedback here after I give it a try. For a large tank, paying 81% less makes a big difference in the long run.

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I purchased 100lb of the briners choice. Will try to drop some feedback here after I give it a try. For a large tank, paying 81% less makes a big difference in the long run.
Any feedback? I’m also looking to purchase this and give it a shot… and due to Randy’s recommendation and food grade rating I’m thinking it’s a go.

OP
OP
pfoxgrover

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any feedback? I’m also looking to purchase this and give it a shot… and due to Randy’s recommendation and food grade rating I’m thinking it’s a go.
So far so good. Dosing about a gallon per day in 400g tank. I tested potassium before and at one week and stopped adding potassium. Potassium Levels read a little lower after one week so didn't seem to add potassium much if any. I've not tested that again yet.
It mixed clear but after a while a little fine powder settles out of 5 gallons of mix. I ran it through a 100 micron bucket filter but that wantnt fine enough. I've been ignoring it. Might try a 10 micron filter.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. Dosing about a gallon per day in 400g tank. I tested potassium before and at one week and stopped adding potassium. Potassium Levels read a little lower after one week so didn't seem to add potassium much if any. I've not tested that again yet.
It mixed clear but after a while a little fine powder settles out of 5 gallons of mix. I ran it through a 100 micron bucket filter but that wantnt fine enough. I've been ignoring it. Might try a 10 micron filter.
Good to know! I'm about done with BRS after this, Bulk Surcharge Reef Supply... BSRS, after this price gouging. I'm going to give what you're doing a shot. Where did you purchase it from?

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They've been jacking up everything, but Ryan actually asked in a recent video if we (customers) wanted to get rid of the 7 lb bags of Soda ash and Calcium, which I thought was very strange (BULK reef supply?)... now the price jumps from $23 to $40 something... sad. I realize that prices are going up everywhere, on everything, but double? I'm sure they're padding it due to the weight and shipping cost. But I'm done with them on most additives. Yeah, we're talking about a buck or two, a month, but when you've got a large SPS system, and I can just buy a 50 lb bag that'll last me for 2 years and reduce the cost by 80%, sorry BRS, I'm out!

Last edited:
OP
OP
pfoxgrover

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! I'm about done with BRS after this, Bulk Surcharge Reef Supply... BSRS, after this price gouging. I'm going to give what you're doing a shot. Where did you purchase it from?
I was also shocked by the price hike. Low cost bulk additives and the videos is why I always came back.
I used an online company called Ingredi. Would be awesome if I could find it local.

OP
OP
pfoxgrover

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way I also switched to Costco arm in hammer 13.5lb bags that I bake on stainless steel cookie sheets to make soda ash.

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also shocked by the price hike. Low cost bulk additives and the videos is why I always came back.
I used an online company called Ingredi. Would be awesome if I could find it local.
Also used that site. I think it was $90 shipped for the 50lb bag which should last me at least 5 years (also dose saturated kalk to evaporation limit).

Last edited:

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way I also switched to Costco arm in hammer 13.5lb bags that I bake on stainless steel cookie sheets to make soda ash.
How’s the pricing on that? I buy from Amazon and also make soda ash, comes out to $0.06/ounce. Not sure why anybody would buy from BRS at this point except for pure convenience.

Attachments

• 87BD87EC-3B27-4402-90E2-44BB403C0945.png
    87BD87EC-3B27-4402-90E2-44BB403C0945.png
    489.3 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
pfoxgrover

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget it's anhydrous so the amount mixed needs to be adjusted like Randy mentioned above and it gets very hot when mixed. I just ordered a seconded CA test kit just to make sure I'm dialing mine in right. I've already used most of my first 50lb bag with no ill effects so far but will continue to update.
Here is where it's all going

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use food grade ingredients all the time. All that nonsense about needing pharma grade ingredients is just to sell more expensive products. I guarantee you the fish poop your tanks inhabitants ate eating and breathing aren't pharma grade.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back