Calcium Chloride food grade

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way I also switched to Costco arm in hammer 13.5lb bags that I bake on stainless steel cookie sheets to make soda ash.
I thought about that too, but with the energy usage and inconvenience, I'll probably wait until BRS jacks that way up too! LOL

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget it's anhydrous so the amount mixed needs to be adjusted like Randy mentioned above and it gets very hot when mixed. I just ordered a seconded CA test kit just to make sure I'm dialing mine in right. I've already used most of my first 50lb bag with no ill effects so far but will continue to update.
Here is where it's all going

Awesome tank. I followed your tank before, but didn't realize it was you! I've always loved cube style tanks.

OP
OP
pfoxgrover

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my potassium readings. The second measurement was right before I switched to Briners and the next 2 are since. This is using the red sea kit which isn't the easiest to read. I would say the 452 reading I got today was right when the purple was undetectable but hard to say for sure if potassium is rising based on the accuracy of this kit (advertised to be 3 ppm), my guess is in a month it will be about the same or lower but time will tell.

Screenshot_20220409-092755_APEX Fusion.jpg

OP
OP
pfoxgrover

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Here is another update on potential added potassium from this product. The red sea kit is pretty hard to see the color change but at least it is easy to tell is not super high otherwise you would get a color change with one drop during titration. Still not concerning to me and I've added over 50lb so far.
-For the undesolved portion after mixing, I've just been letting that settle out and pouring of the clear portion. I have an extra fine bucket sleeve but haven't bothered to go look for it.
Screenshot_20220515-095220_APEX Fusion.jpg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Here is another update on potential added potassium from this product. The red sea kit is pretty hard to see the color change but at least it is easy to tell is not super high otherwise you would get a color change with one drop during titration. Still not concerning to me and I've added over 50lb so far.
-For the undesolved portion after mixing, I've just been letting that settle out and pouring of the clear portion. I have an extra fine bucket sleeve but haven't bothered to go look for it.
Screenshot_20220515-095220_APEX Fusion.jpg
What product was this?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So far so good. Dosing about a gallon per day in 400g tank. I tested potassium before and at one week and stopped adding potassium. Potassium Levels read a little lower after one week so didn't seem to add potassium much if any. I've not tested that again yet.
It mixed clear but after a while a little fine powder settles out of 5 gallons of mix. I ran it through a 100 micron bucket filter but that wantnt fine enough. I've been ignoring it. Might try a 10 micron filter.
Actually I'm going to question this.. A gallon per day of 'what' concentration. A saturated version - or. I wonder if you're precipitating some

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS. if you add In the need for potassium tests, worry, extra work, etc - are you really saving that much - I was under the impression - that if you bought large quantities of BRS CaCl - that you could get a fairly big discount - but - admittedly - I havent check the per LB pricing.

OP
OP
pfoxgrover

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I'm going to question this.. A gallon per day of 'what' concentration. A saturated version - or. I wonder if you're precipitating some
Precipitation has been a problem but think I have gotten that under control. I still get a little in the sandbed. Right now I'm dosing 2 liters per day at the concentration of Randy's recipe 1.

OP
OP
pfoxgrover

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS. if you add In the need for potassium tests, worry, extra work, etc - are you really saving that much - I was under the impression - that if you bought large quantities of BRS CaCl - that you could get a fairly big discount - but - admittedly - I havent check the per LB pricing.
If you buy BRS CaCl in 5 lb buckets and compare to this and adjust for the anhydrous being stronger, the BRS is 68% more expensive including shipping (I bought 100lb and paid extra for shipping) than the Briners.

BRS did almost double their price for CaCl and I use a lot so that is what got me going down this road.

I already had the potassium test kit so mostly I am just keeping an eye on it and sharing the data.

For a small or low demand tank it would be easier to use BRS.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precipitation has been a problem but think I have gotten that under control. I still get a little in the sandbed. Right now I'm dosing 2 liters per day at the concentration of Randy's recipe 1.
2 liters a day? What is your calcium level?
At that rate of consumption I'd skip BRS completely. I'm sure their stuff is just repackaged from the same source as everybody else's. Just check their SDS online.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2 liters a day? What is your calcium level?
At that rate of consumption I'd skip BRS completely. I'm sure their stuff is just repackaged from the same source as everybody else's. Just check their SDS online.
well - I don't think thats true - nor do I really want to verify it. There is a difference between food grade and pharmaceutical grade. But you might be correct - I just buy from BRS its not that often. If someone is/was using a GALLON/day - there is some miscalculation. (though I know it was a large tank)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back