calcium close to 500ppm

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the last 2-2,5 months i switched salts from red sea blue bucket to tropic marin pro reef.After switching to tropic marin i started dosing daily kh buffer to keep my alk at 8-8.1.In the meantime my calcium with tropic marin went up to 500ppm and maybe even higher than that while with the red sea salt it was at 450-460.Do you think this high calcium can have a bad affect in the tank or should i leave it be?

parameters:
salinity 1.024-25
nitrates 10-20ppm
phosphates 0.25ppm
alk 8 (dosing kh buffer daily after switching salts so i can have my alk at 8-8.1)
calcium 500ppm (maybe higher)

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the last 2-2,5 months i switched salts from red sea blue bucket to tropic marin pro reef.After switching to tropic marin i started dosing daily kh buffer to keep my alk at 8-8.1.In the meantime my calcium with tropic marin went up to 500ppm and maybe even higher than that while with the red sea salt it was at 450-460.Do you think this high calcium can have a bad affect in the tank or should i leave it be?

parameters:
salinity 1.024-25
nitrates 10-20ppm
phosphates 0.25ppm
alk 8 (dosing kh buffer daily after switching salts so i can have my alk at 8-8.1)
When transporting over long distances, the bucket must be mixed well. In the upper layers of the bucket, the readings of calcium, magnesium, KH are overestimated. After mixing, everything returns to normal. And the fact that calcium is 500, there is nothing to worry about

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When transporting over long distances, the bucket must be mixed well. In the upper layers of the bucket, the readings of calcium, magnesium, KH are overestimated. After mixing, everything returns to normal. And the fact that calcium is 500, there is nothing to worry about
ok then thanks for the answer

Upvote 0

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

parameters:
salinity 1.024-25
nitrates 10-20ppm
phosphates 0.25ppm

I'm certainly not an expert but , I use IO Reef Crystals and my Calcium is always above 500 and my magnesium is always above 1500. I dose 2 part Calcium and Alk daily in equal parts. My alk is steady at 9 dkh. I've been somewhat concerned over the high Ca and Mag but everything in the tank looks good from the fish to the corals to the snails so I've decided not to worry about it anymore. So if I were you, I would only be concerned if things in your tank aren't doing well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm certainly not an expert but , I use IO Reef Crystals and my Calcium is always above 500 and my magnesium is always above 1500. I dose 2 part Calcium and Alk daily in equal parts. My alk is steady at 9 dkh. I've been somewhat concerned over the high Ca and Mag but everything in the tank looks good from the fish to the corals to the snails so I've decided not to worry about it anymore. So if I were you, I would only be concerned if things in your tank aren't doing well.
well i will leave it be but i thought that calcium over 470-80 is generally not good for reefs so i thought it wouldn't hurt to ask

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back