Calcium Reactor a few feet below tank?

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by CDavmd, Nov 8, 2018.

1. CDavmd

CDavmd Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Hi all

I've been considering a calcium reactor for my 425xl. I do not have room in the sump or cabinet for all the gear so I need to ask if what I am thinking is possible or a very bad idea.;Blackeye

The tank is currently run by a Cor-20 with a manifold of 1 inch PVC. I have a couple reactors for carbon hooked up and get flows in the 400-500 range. Directly below the tank through the floor into my basement, I have my water station and DOS for AWC. I am wondering if it is possible to setup a calcium reactor down there roughly 6-8 feet below the sump. It would be fed off of the manifold up in the sump.

Is this a bad idea?

Will the added head pressure prevent the effluent from getting back to the tank?

Will this added head pressure affect the reaction chamber in a deleterious way?

Appreciate any help or insights and if possible and recommendations for the reactor. Ive been looking at the Vertex and Geo's.

Thanks!

2. ndrwater

ndrwater Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

I seriously doubt it would be a problem. Both reactors run off a positive pressure setup. Ie. Water is pumped in, and tbe effluent is discharged on the open end. You MAY have to run a bit more volume (pressure) from the manifold than others based on the head pressure, but generally I don't see a problem. I WOULD suggest running your effluent at a slow but steady stream ranther than a drip using a needle valve. This IMO would prevent clogs, excessive back pressure and other potential pitfalls.
    There is a video on YouTube showing how this is done. If I can find it, I'll add it to this post.

Found it..

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    CDavmd likes this.
  3. CDavmd

Thank you so much! appreciate the info- this will really help my setup.

ndrwater likes this.
  4. jda

jda Valuable Member

The idea is fine. You might end up needing a dedicated pump/doser/etc. since manifold-run CaRx of oft prone to be inconsistent - basicly, once you change anything on the manifold the pressure changes on every other output and you need to retune the reactor. MaxiJet or Quietone 3000 can run a reactor just fine, you can use a continuous duty perilistic pump (of which there are many with all kinds of price points).

CDavmd likes this.
  5. CDavmd

Thanks, had not considered that. I’m wondering if the new peristaltic pump from BRS will handle the head pressure...need to do more research

6. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award R2R TV Featured Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

FWIW, such a setup will not have added head pressure, though longer lines will offer a bit more friction. What will be true, is that the internal pressure inside the reactor will be a bit higher, but I would view this as a good thing as it helps to ensure the CO2 dissolves completely. I run mine under slight positive pressure for just this reason.

CDavmd likes this.
  7. CDavmd

Thanks! Good to know.

Anyone have thoughts on Geo versus Vertex?

Draft saved Draft deleted