Calcium Reactor & Co2 cylinder

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys I finally got my calcium reactor setup. I have my bubble count set at 1.
Let me know if that is too much. My question is, I had the guy who filled my brs Co2 cylinder to put my carbon doser on because I did not know how. On the cylinder he did not open it all the way am I supposed to open it all the way. I have the psi at 4.
My Kamoer fix stp is running @20ml/min let me know thank.

p.s
Am I supposed to see bubbles right away in the Co2 viewer or that smart part where you would count bubbles if you did not have the carbon doser. Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Opened all the way for tank not required and mine is not as the more air you give, possibly higher output of alk.
Bubble count- see where your PH is at after 48-72 hours and add or decrease accordingly until you reach desired PH
Ph/alk also affected by effluent (The only difference is it includes both calcium, alkalinity and some trace elements in a single on-demand solution often referred to as the “effluent solution” as it exists the calcium reactor.)
A calcium reactor creates the effluent solution by lowering the pH of the water inside the reactor with dissolved CO2 until the calcium carbonate media or old coral pieces dissolve and enrich the water with calcium and alkalinity.
As an example, alkalinity in your display tank might be 9 dKH and the alkalinity of the water inside the reactor is far more concentrated and will be around 30 dKH. Slowly dosing the concentrated water from inside the reactor (effluent solution) will effectively raise the tanks dKH to meet your daily consumption.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey, guys I know I am new to this but a question, 24 hours later and the ph in my calcium reactor is 7.95. I have my carbon doser set to 12psi and my tank is full. I am not seeing any bibbles come thru in my bubble counter either.
I think I am regretting purchasing a used carbon doser.

Attachments

• CarbonDose.PNG
    CarbonDose.PNG
    18.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Carbon Doser.jpg
    Carbon Doser.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Geo 618 seems to be fine no leaks or air bubbles. And yes that is a check valve on the carbon doser line

Attachments

• Geo618.jpg
    Geo618.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 65

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trouble shooting the carbon doser:

Plug in the carbon doser to a "ON" outlet if using a controller or just a regular outlet. Have the valve opened and somewhere around 10psi. with the carbon doser bubble per minute nob in the center; does 1) the red led on the bottom left blink at the pulse which you have the bubble count set to and 2) do you see bubbles coming into the spyglass or bubble tube after your checkvalve and before the calcium reactor?

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a led blinking and the bubble in the spyglass, then turn the nob to the left and the led should blink faster and the bubbles increase in the spyglass. if you go slower, well i think you get it;)

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If neither are working then it is probably the carbon doser.

PSI will create how large a bubble is. You could have a low dose rate but a large bubble and small bubbles and a high dos rate be equal at some point to the amount of CO2 delivered to your calcium reactor maintain your pH. It is balance game and fine tuning.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check and make sure the check valve is going the right direction or you won't get any bubbles:)

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trouble shooting the carbon doser:

Plug in the carbon doser to a "ON" outlet if using a controller or just a regular outlet. Have the valve opened and somewhere around 10psi. with the carbon doser bubble per minute nob in the center; does 1) the red led on the bottom left blink at the pulse which you have the bubble count set to and 2) do you see bubbles coming into the spyglass or bubble tube after your checkvalve and before the calcium reactor?
Thank you for your help here is what i have done so far.

1.) carbon doser plugged into an ON outlet
2.) Red light does flash faster the lower the number. 0.1 makes it flash very fast
3.) No bubbles can be seen in the bubble counter
4.) THe company that filled my new Co2 container on Saturday put my carbon doser on so I would not screw a simple task up (LOL)
5.) I don't see any bubbles at all. I put a check valve on as a last resort yesterday after I made this initial post I found that water could back up into the doser.

6.) I think I have been sold a bum carbon doser.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before giving up on it, I would run the line from the doser to a cup of water and see if you can get bubbles there. If no bubbles agree, bum doser...

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
should i remove the check valve? I know for a fact its going in the right direction but
i did see lots of bubble as if i were blowing thru a straw

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the same thing w/ the Check valve in place and see if you get bubbles. If you do, something is blocking it from going into the CA Reactor. if not bubbles bad check valve. Do you have affluent coming out of the reactor? If not could it be overpressure and not allowing the CO2 in? Seems like that would be strange as you have a lot of pressure in the CO2 - 80 lbs

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back