Calcium Reactor - Decisions Decisions!!!

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a couple of those pumps available...can you not go by the model number of 505u???

I think any of the 505 pumps will work. Prior to my 505u, I had an older 505s that was just as quiet that I ended up selling on here. MAKE SURE it is a 220 rpm unit as these pumps come in 55 rpm models and 220 rpm models.

This is the tubing that I’m using to let me adjust the flow rate in 3.95 ml/min increments.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25400

JoeKelley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at GEO’s today and went for a Geo 624!

Where can I get one of these Alan Le regulators?

Thanks!

I have the 624 Alan Le Kamoer on a 130 gal system. Love it!! Joe

I'm looking to replace an old K2R (these haven't been made in years, not currently installed on my newest system) with an Aquarium Engineering Automated Calcium Reactor. Actually was steered in that direction following a link crusso provided in another thread. I'm impressed with the equipment this company makes, lifetime warranty kinda hard to beat. Not all of their reactors are automated. Might be worth a look.

I had that reactor in 1998 from Bob Mankin!! Ha! How cool but time for a new rig!

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is coming together rather quickly. Have a Watson Marlow 505u coming in.

So far:

GEO CR624
Alan Le SS Regulator
Watson Marlow Pump

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
For the money, Geo is a good unit. For economy pricing, coralife unit not bad

Urbanknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my custom regulator built by @Fish out of h-2-0 on this forum. Quality, bullet-proof and a beauty. I think he's in Oregon.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is coming together rather quickly. Have a Watson Marlow 505u coming in.

So far:

GEO CR624
Alan Le SS Regulator
Watson Marlow Pump

I would love to hear your comment on the Watson and marlow noise. My masterflex is so loud I can hear the 60 hz hum from every room in the house

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to hear your comment on the Watson and marlow noise. My masterflex is so loud I can hear the 60 hz hum from every room in the house

According to Water Dog his is near silent...I heard a video of one running and it seemed to be pretty quiet.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again mine looks like it was brand new, my WM 505u is almost silent. At max speed it makes a low sounding noise... nothing like the high pitched squeal that I’ve heard from the brushed Masterflex pumps. I will say that the older 505s that I sold awhile back was near silent as well for the speeds I intend to run my CaRx at, which is between 30 - 100 ml/min (7-25 rpm).

Mykesocalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not looking to hijack the thread.. What all does a CaRx require? Can you buy a complete unit or does it require multiple pieces? Ive never seen one in person but one day I know I will need one.

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not looking to hijack the thread.. What all does a CaRx require? Can you buy a complete unit or does it require multiple pieces? Ive never seen one in person but one day I know I will need one.

My knowledge is rookie at best...but I’ve spent the better half of the last week reading, watching and speaking to fellow reef geeks about these babies

The actual reactors themselves can be purchased as an All in One unit...some brands have come out where the reactor uses one pump as the circulation and feed pump.

BUT

It does require a few additional pieces of equipment to complete the whole process of using one, CO2 tank, CO2 regulator and CalRx media is required to actually use the system. There are no complete sets sold as most folks like to customize...the closest to that is Dastasco and Bill Wann CalRx and if you have the [emoji383] for them they could be good options. It is my understanding they still require a CO2 regulator and tank...only thing your saving on is a feed pump and they have CO2/bubble controllers

Mykesocalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been watching the thread and been trying to figure out exactly what is needed. It does seem that its a multi equipment gig with the CaRx. Especially not understanding how they work can make it a touch confusing.

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been watching the thread and been trying to figure out exactly what is needed. It does seem that its a multi equipment gig with the CaRx. Especially not understanding how they work can make it a touch confusing.

Well this is a good place to start...watch a few videos on YouTube just to get a general understand on how they work and what the adjustments do.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rarely are they ready to go right out of the box. Definitely don’t expect it to be like a skimmer or a light panel. It will require some retrofitting, other equipment (many pieces not even hobby grade if you’re doing it right) and a lot of research on how to get them to work ideally. A poorly set up reactor can be more of a source of alkalinity instability, more busy work, and more stress if you don’t prepare properly. A correctly set up one will basically reduce alkalinity, calcium, and trace element supplementing down to the touch of a single knob, and a once a year cleaning

Mykesocalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rarely are they ready to go right out of the box. Definitely don’t expect it to be like a skimmer or a light panel. It will require some retrofitting, other equipment (many pieces not even hobby grade if you’re doing it right) and a lot of research on how to get them to work ideally. A poorly set up reactor can be more of a source of alkalinity instability, more busy work, and more stress if you don’t prepare properly. A correctly set up one will basically reduce alkalinity, calcium, and trace element supplementing down to the touch of a single knob, and a once a year cleaning
This is exactly where my researching has led me. I want to do it the right way and know it will not be cheap. Ive tried in the past with the good enough to get by.. Ive moved past those experiences as 9 out of 10 times its cheaper and easier to do it right the first time in the long run.

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a question on what actually is dosed while using a CalRx....I understand that Alk & Cal are taking care of and with the addition of a of mag source (zeo Mag or equivalent). What levels of trace elements can we expect as I’ve always been a 2-part guy and dosed the individual elements.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a question on what actually is dosed while using a CalRx....I understand that Alk & Cal are taking care of and with the addition of a of mag source (zeo Mag or equivalent). What levels of trace elements can we expect as I’ve always been a 2-part guy and dosed the individual elements.

I’ve not yet seen an ICP analysis of reborn media. I’d love to see one. You can theoretically assume it will
Be all minor and trace elements used in skeleton production but not necessarily those used for soft tissue and pigment production (though I’m sure there is some overlap

Titleist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a practically brand new Watson Marlow 505u off of ebay for a really good deal. It’s an industrial grade variable speed peristaltic pump.

4ABC9E0A-6054-4778-ADBA-6FE7401D2986.jpeg

Which pump head came with your 505u? I'm seeing different flow rates for different heads.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back