Calcium Reactor - Decisions Decisions!!!

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to replace an old K2R (these haven't been made in years, not currently installed on my newest system) with an Aquarium Engineering Automated Calcium Reactor. Actually was steered in that direction following a link crusso provided in another thread. I'm impressed with the equipment this company makes, lifetime warranty kinda hard to beat. Not all of their reactors are automated. Might be worth a look.

Vu Nguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to add geo624 soon as well so I am
Following this thread if that is ok with everyone.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a practically brand new Watson Marlow 505u off of ebay for a really good deal. It’s an industrial grade variable speed peristaltic pump.

4ABC9E0A-6054-4778-ADBA-6FE7401D2986.jpeg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kamoer has come out with the FX-STP hobby grade variable speed peristaltic pumps, but the jury is still out as to their long term reliability. There have been reports of noisy roller heads and difficulties in replacing the heads. If you’re diligent and patient on eBay, deals can be had for used Masterflex or Watson Marlow industrial grade pumps. Although my Watson Marlow uses a brushed motor, it runs nice and quietly at the speeds necessary to run a calcium reactor. My understanding is that the brushed Masterflex pumps tend to be noisy. If you want a quiet Masterflex, look for a brushless unit, though it can be quite pricey.

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a practically brand new Watson Marlow 505u off of ebay for a really good deal. It’s an industrial grade variable speed peristaltic pump.

Hey are you LQT on the other site, been reading Alan’s thread and you have a huge presence there?

And you’re in Fairfield CT???

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kamoer has come out with the FX-STP hobby grade variable speed peristaltic pumps, but the jury is still out as to their long term reliability. There have been reports of noisy roller heads and difficulties in replacing the heads. If you’re diligent and patient on eBay, deals can be had for used Masterflex or Watson Marlow industrial grade pumps. Although my Watson Marlow uses a brushed motor, it runs nice and quietly at the speeds necessary to run a calcium reactor. My understanding is that the brushed Masterflex pumps tend to be noisy. If you want a quiet Masterflex, look for a brushless unit, though it can be quite pricey.

I’m currently having reliability issues with the fix-stp. 5 months in and it’s leaking/ has a squeaky head. I can say that taking it apart is as simple as it gets but as for reliability it’s getting 2/10 from me.

How long has your Watson Marlow been running?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently having reliability issues with the fix-stp. 5 months in and it’s leaking/ has a squeaky head. I can say that taking it apart is as simple as it gets but as for reliability it’s getting 2/10 from me.

How long has your Watson Marlow been running?

I’m not set up yet, but I’m not worried about reliability or quality issues with Watson Marlow or Masterflex pumps as these pumps are meant for industrial lab applications. My Watson Marlow 505u is built like a tank... it weighs about 15 pounds! I will note however, that when purchasing one of these pumps off of eBay, make sure the seller has a return policy should you run into any issues as these are used pumps we are buying. I definitely lucked out in my purchase as my pump is practically brand new.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Seymour CT!

Might have to come pick your brain one day if you’re up for it!

Yeah totally dude... Shoot me a PM whenever, we’ll grab a beer and talk shop! :)

A bunch of us get together and do ARKSC (Area Reef Keepers of Southwestern Connecticut) meetings every few months as well. These are guys with extensive experience in SPS keeping... mostly running calcium reactors with way more experienced than me. I’ll shoot you a PM the next time there’s a meeting scheduled.

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great!

I’ve been talking with Matt (STC) about reactors the last few days.

With regards to a feed pump, what should I be looking for when it comes to a masterflex style of pump?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shame there’s not a WM mega thread. Hard to tell which ones are brushless or not and what tubing choices to use.

Back