Calcium reactor for sps tank

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a calcium reactor for a 225g sps tank.
I purchase the vertex reactor but concerned it might not keep up. I read it’s rated for up to 120 sps dominant.
Thanks

OP
OP
lacrosseboss18

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a geo 618 and I’m personally not thrilled with it. For some reason it keeps building up with excess air and once it hits the recirculating pump it’s LOUD!!! Loudest thing in my tank. I noticed the newer model has the in and out on the top so hopefully that might have solved the problem. I got mine a couple years ago when they didn’t have the in line on the lid.

I have it running now without the recirculating pump on, and no CO2 going into the reactor. Currently pulling water in with the kamoer. For some reason it keeps building up with air?!?!?!

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a geo 618 and I’m personally not thrilled with it. For some reason it keeps building up with excess air and once it hits the recirculating pump it’s LOUD!!! Loudest thing in my tank. I noticed the newer model has the in and out on the top so hopefully that might have solved the problem. I got mine a couple years ago when they didn’t have the in line on the lid.

I have it running now without the recirculating pump on, and no CO2 going into the reactor. Currently pulling water in with the kamoer. For some reason it keeps building up with air?!?!?!

What was your bubble count when you were running the CO2? is this reactor being run by a proper tune/ bubble count ? or are you relying on a solenoid?

OP
OP
lacrosseboss18

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have no CO2 going into the reactor. I’ve been running it with just tank water in and tank water out.
Pulled through with the kamoer doser.
All are original hoses that came with reactor.
I have all things hooked up and ready to go as far as CO2. I have it connected to the electric carbon doser

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you’re comfortable with drilling and tapping your lid for an effluent output, grab one of these from @Reefer1978. It fixes the bubble build up issues of the prior generation GEO calcium reactors when pulling through the reactor with a continuous duty peristaltic pump.

Here’s the thread where he essentially had the exact same issue as you, with built up air bubbles and noise, and how he came up with the 3D printed solution...

Last edited:

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check/reconnect all your push connector fittings to make sure you are not getting a venturi effect/leak.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m a sps guy but just can’t seem to change from dosing because it works so well and keeps my ph up, the new deltec reactor seems very promising and has definitely caught my eye though.

Willylumplump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see your location, I am looking to sell geo 618, but trying to sell complete set up. with millwakee sms-125 ph regulator, co2 regulator, solenoid, and 20# tank. tank is pretty full and have about 2 gallons media. I am not looking to ship the set up, kind of heavy.
I also have a deltec KM-500 kalk reactor if like to add to your reactor. I had just replaced the stepper motor a month or two before I shut the system down. motor is only running part on it.
I would ship the kalk reactor, it's really light.

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in south Florida. I’d be interested in the 618 if you are local
I don't see your location, I am looking to sell geo 618, but trying to sell complete set up. with millwakee sms-125 ph regulator, co2 regulator, solenoid, and 20# tank. tank is pretty full and have about 2 gallons media. I am not looking to ship the set up, kind of heavy.
I also have a deltec KM-500 kalk reactor if like to add to your reactor. I had just replaced the stepper motor a month or two before I shut the system down. motor is only running part on it.
I would ship the kalk reactor, it's really light.

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had the similar problem with my GEO reactor when I switch to a peristaltic pump, I tried the pulling and pushing method and they both had the same issue. Had no issues when I was feeding with a MJ1200 pump, so I figure it must be something with the peristaltic pump. I realized that the reactor works best with some pressure. So to fix this issue; have ur peristaltic pump pull and use a mj to push. That resolved my issue.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my GEO, but a 618 is under sized for a 200+ sps dom tank. I have to take mine apart and refill it 2-3 times a year on my 90 gallon. I feel like if I had a packed 200 gallon tank I’d be refilling media every couple months. Those new deltec reactors look awesome

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a Vertex Reactor on a System with 300 Gallons of Water. Few SPS, and mostly lps. My Alk, Calcium and magnesium are super stable, as well as monitored with a NEPTUNE SYSTEMS Trident.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reactor can keep up with nearly any sized tank... you just go through media faster.

I have an old school tiny Knopp that takes 1.5 cups of media that could be tuned to keep my full acropora tank supplied, but the media might only last 1 week instead of 3-4 months like my super large Korallin does.

Some tuning methods like dump/off will not keep up with high demand, but with a 24/7 constant tune, you can keep even the smallest reactor running at full tilt and beyond.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had trouble keeping up with calcium and alk demand in my 210 with a GEO 618. An upgrade to a GEO 818 took care of it. My tank is SPS dominant and mature with large colonies. I was able to dial it back when I added a Kalk Reactor for pH reasons, so it should be fine no matter how packed my tank gets now. It seems that the manufacturer ratings for reactors are geared/estimated toward more moderately stocked systems.

I have the 618 on my frag system now.

I push feed the reactor with an Eheim 1046, with the ball valve GEO provides for effluent flow control and have no issues with bubbles.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 87 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back