Calcium reactor pH

Bouldereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading up on calcium reactors. It seems as if most people run them at 6.5-6.8. I have not been able to get mine down there. I am stuck around 7.1-7.3. I have increased the CO2 bubble rate and size (I am close to continuous flow and max bubble size). I have decreased the flow rate through the reactor. Still nothing. Any secret hand shakes to help?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Brs has some vids to check out

Victor Guyton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to high jacked post . I am having issues with bubble keeps going down. So ph is not holding.
Hi,
Brs has some vids to check out

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading up on calcium reactors. It seems as if most people run them at 6.5-6.8. I have not been able to get mine down there. I am stuck around 7.1-7.3. I have increased the CO2 bubble rate and size (I am close to continuous flow and max bubble size). I have decreased the flow rate through the reactor. Still nothing. Any secret hand shakes to help?

First thing I would check is your pH probe/meter and calibrate them. Make sure they are working.

What type of regular are you using? Where are the bubbles that you are counting? Are you counting the bubbles with the bubble counter as part of the calcium reactor?

If you are using a carbon doser as a regulator, check the unit to see if they are tight and not leaking. I had an issue with that with one of my units and it drove me crazy until I figured it out. And make sure you have a good check valve between your regulator and the CARx.

And it could be that your CO2 is not mixing with the water well leaving the reactor quickly. Check to see if there are bubbles coming from effluent flow. We can figure it out from there. This shouldn't be that much of a problem unless it is a really bad CARx design.

102ttran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the same problem I bought a new ph probes for it and calibrate them also but no luck been looking at 7.1-7.3. I try to lower the effluent to like 3 drops per sec and less than a sec per bubble. Anything else I can do?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the second stage on your CO2 regulator is set high enough to overcome any internal CaRx pressure. i have to set mine at about 8 PSI to prevent variations in CO2 flow.

NitrateKillah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of regulator are you using? mine tend to get stuck, I have to remove it and grease it with white lithium grease in the spring.

Make sure there are no leaks between the regulator and the Co2 bottle. Also, your bubble count needs to match the ***, drops faster than the *** will not be able to catch up from the co2 that needs to lower it.

Are you using a Apex to control? I had the hardest time with it, I am using Milwaukee MC122 and it works like a charm.

102ttran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of regulator are you using? mine tend to get stuck, I have to remove it and grease it with white lithium grease in the spring.

Make sure there are no leaks between the regulator and the Co2 bottle. Also, your bubble count needs to match the ***, drops faster than the *** will not be able to catch up from the co2 that needs to lower it.

Are you using a Apex to control? I had the hardest time with it, I am using Milwaukee MC122 and it works like a charm.
I'm using a brand new carbondoser for the regulator so bubble rate should be on point. And I have my apex to turn on if ph 6.5 and off at 6.59

NitrateKillah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to say effluent. I don't know why that is censored, this place is Mickey Mouse.

Either you have a leak or the Apex is just plain crummy. I had that exact same problem where I wanted 6.9-6.5. Didn't work for me as it didn't for you.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I use no controller or ph probe along with a quality 2 stage regulator.
Set effulent and bubble count and its done.
Easy to adjust when demand increases.

20191224_103538.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back