Calcium reactor

datboichucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to ditch my doser and go calcium reactor any good feedback would be great. Currently have a 120 sps dominant tank 40 plus frags plus some nice size colonies. Looking for a great reactor that will not make me go bankrupt lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looking to ditch my doser and go calcium reactor any good feedback would be great. Currently have a 120 sps dominant tank 40 plus frags plus some nice size colonies. Looking for a great reactor that will not make me go bankrupt lol
Most of the good ones will cost you but save you a lot on dosing costs. Good ones are Geo, vertex and koralin

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reactor is just the reactor. You need a few other bits to get it going too. A co2 tank, co2 regulator, ph controller, and a parasitic pump. The pump seems optional, as a lot of guys still dose without one. Same as the ph controller, but that has gone more towards the mainstream of keeping your reactor stable.

Any of the mentioned reactors are great; Korallin, Vertex, Geo. There's a few more great ones, but these are the most popular in my opinion.

Also, size. You cannot over size a calcium reactor because you can control how the media devolves. So if you go big, say rated for 600g, you would adjust to a higher ph with the co2. The benefits of this is just not having to keep replenishing the media, since there will be more of it in a larger reactor.

OP
OP
datboichucky

datboichucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any good reviews on the aquamaxx t1? I was looking into that one as well as the korallin

OP
OP
datboichucky

datboichucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reactor is just the reactor. You need a few other bits to get it going too. A co2 tank, co2 regulator, ph controller, and a parasitic pump. The pump seems optional, as a lot of guys still dose without one. Same as the ph controller, but that has gone more towards the mainstream of keeping your reactor stable.

Any of the mentioned reactors are great; Korallin, Vertex, Geo. There's a few more great ones, but these are the most popular in my opinion.

Also, size. You cannot over size a calcium reactor because you can control how the media devolves. So if you go big, say rated for 600g, you would adjust to a higher ph with the co2. The benefits of this is just not having to keep replenishing the media, since there will be more of it in a larger reactor.
Yes I was looking into the aquamaxx t1, 5 pound co2, Milwaukee regulator along with the Milwaukee ph controller

OP
OP
datboichucky

datboichucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My major thing is reducing alk spikes no matter how hard I try messing with the doser it’s always going 8.4-8.7

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used the Aquamaxx, but they look very well built. I do have an older Vertex and a Korallin. The korallin is built solid. The top looks like Commercial plumbing flanges, lol. Korallin doesn't use a 2nd chamber, but they do well with the way it's designed, the pump is on top. So if space is an issue, you could consider those. Keep in mind, you can always add another chamber to any of them.

OP
OP
datboichucky

datboichucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used the Aquamaxx, but they look very well built. I do have an older Vertex and a Korallin. The korallin is built solid. The top looks like Commercial plumbing flanges, lol. Korallin doesn't use a 2nd chamber, but they do well with the way it's designed, the pump is on top. So if space is an issue, you could consider those. Keep in mind, you can always add another chamber to any of them.
Hmmmm decisions decisions. I’m just tired of these swings I need something that’s going to stay consistent

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The regulator is what makes the most difference in a ca reactor system.
The carbon dose is the smooth one I tried to mention (sorry, it's late for me)
But the tunze is good and will get it done.
They both have solenoids that is required.

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the Destaco available in the US?
Here's info if anyone is curious:

And a dedicated R2R thread:

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m running the aquamax t1. I don’t have anything to compare it to but it works. I wouldn’t cheap out on the regulator though. For the controller I’d go with a used or new apex jr. with a pm1 module. Almost the same price as a Milwaukee controller but you get a lot of other benefits.

OP
OP
datboichucky

datboichucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running the aquamax t1. I don’t have anything to compare it to but it works. I wouldn’t cheap out on the regulator though. For the controller I’d go with a used or new apex jr. with a pm1 module. Almost the same price as a Milwaukee controller but you get a lot of other benefits.
Milwaukee ph controller is $189

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t buy a CO2 tank on the internet. Just get one from the local gas store that refills CO2. Much cheaper. Most of the time you’ll be swapping it anyway. Allot of places won’t fill a tank while you wait.

OP
OP
datboichucky

datboichucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t buy a CO2 tank on the internet. Just get one from the local gas store that refills CO2. Much cheaper. Most of the time you’ll be swapping it anyway. Allot of places won’t fill a tank while you wait.
They’ll have 5 pound tanks? I know I could go to any place that fills paint ball tanks right?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 115 58.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 58 29.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 70 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.4%
Back