Calcium reactor

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ll have 5 pound tanks? I know I could go to any place that fills paint ball tanks right?
I would say call your local stores and ask. I find that Airgas (local to me) the best deal is just swapping tanks And yes they have smaller tanks.

OP
OP
datboichucky

datboichucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say call your local stores and ask. I find that Airgas (local to me) the best deal is just swapping tanks And yes they have smaller tanks.
O ok cool I know there is a place that fills them while you wait. It’s called hydrostat

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im setting up a tunze 3171 for my 120. Simple easy and no feed pump needed.
Spent the money on a 2 stage and 10lb tank.
20190420_092713.jpg

DEWreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t buy a CO2 tank on the internet. Just get one from the local gas store that refills CO2. Much cheaper. Most of the time you’ll be swapping it anyway. Allot of places won’t fill a tank while you wait.
I'm sorry bad idea I work for the largest gas and welding supply chain in the world. I don't even buy my tanks from them even with my employee discount. Your best bet is to buy a tank on craigslist and take it to a welding supply shop to have it swapped out.

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent the money on a 2 stage and 10lb tank.
20190420_092713.jpg
Please keep us informed on how you do with the Tunze system. Especially, how the AGA regulator you have works out. I really considered that reg. About the cleanest sexiest regulator I've seen.. Yes I said Sexy. If that reg doesn't do anything to you, you must be dead. :p

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep us informed on how you do with the Tunze system. Especially, how the AGA regulator you have works out. I really considered that reg. About the cleanest sexiest regulator I've seen.. Yes I said Sexy. If that reg doesn't do anything to you, you must be dead. :p
Ha funny. It is a good looking regulator. Im at 45ml of esv 2 part a day.
Tank will be 5 months old in 3 days.
Plan was to convert to carx when I hit 50. I am using tunze srtaight calcium carbonate. Will do a thread when I set it up. Should be sometime next month.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent the money on a 2 stage and 10lb tank. ,
20190420_092713.jpg
^^^^^ smart,
while I always appreciate efficiency and build quality of reactor chambers/good quality circulation pumps, the bigger chunk of your money should be spent on CO2 and effluent control, via a well built reg with a med grade valve or electronic carbon doser, and a kamor or ebay used masterflex pump for controlling water going through the reactor/effluent control.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^^ smart,
while I always appreciate efficiency and build quality of reactor chambers/good quality circulation pumps, the bigger chunk of your money should be spent on CO2 and effluent control, via a well built reg with a med grade valve or electronic carbon doser, and a kamor or ebay used masterflex pump for controlling water going through the reactor/effluent control.
I agree.
I have a masterflex but dont need it on the tunze.
Adjusting effluent is simple on the tunze. The regulater has a swagelok s series needle valve that can do down to 1 bubble every 5 seconds. Clippard solenoid that I dont really need unless ph drops in the tank.
Almost went with a geo. Thats what everyone uses in my area. However I am a tunze fan so cant wait to see how it performs.
I may set up a geo and masterflex once my frag systems is up and running.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree.
I have a masterflex but dont need it on the tunze.
Adjusting effluent is simple on the tunze. The regulater has a swagelok s series needle valve that can do down to 1 bubble every 5 seconds. Clippard solenoid that I dont really need unless ph drops in the tank.
Almost went with a geo. Thats what everyone uses in my area. However I am a tunze fan so cant wait to see how it performs.
I may set up a geo and masterflex once my frag systems is up and running.
You sure we are on the same page ?because CO2 control and effluent control are different tasks.
effluent would be controlled by a masterflex, kraomer or (not suggested) a needle valve.
Effluent = water flow /output of reactor--> tank water.

CO2 control is regulator and needle valve or /E.carbon doser.

How are you controlling effluent without the masterflex? using needle valve? pinch valve?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure we are on the same page ?because CO2 control and effluent control are different tasks.
effluent would be controlled by a masterflex, kraomer or (not suggested) a needle valve.
Effluent = water flow /output of reactor--> tank water.

CO2 control is regulator and needle valve or /E.carbon doser.

How are you controlling effluent without the masterflex? using needle valve? pinch valve?
Sorry I was talking about controlling co2 output. Its been a long day.
The tunze has a simple pinch valve that is simply a plastic screw that compresses the tube. Since im running calcium carbonate and not coral bones the effluent should not be or get resrticted.
There are not many threads on tunze reactors but the few I know running them have no issue controlling the effluent. I know its not anywhere near as precise as a masterflex but it is a simple design that truely works.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a pinch block for effluent control
Fast drip, almost a stream.
Co2 is bubble counter / regulator. Dual Smith gauges.
Solenoid only shuts off Co2, if it drop below my safety Ph.

Perhaps this is what you need ?

Dastaco-xtrema2-XL.jpg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a pinch block for effluent control
Fast drip, almost a stream.
Co2 is bubble counter / regulator.
Solenoid only shuts off Co2, if it drop below my safety Ph.

Perhaps this is what you need ?

Dastaco-xtrema2-XL.jpg
Now thats a calcium reactor! The tunze uses a pinch block as you call it.

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The regulator is what makes the most difference in a ca reactor system.
The carbon dose is the smooth one I tried to mention (sorry, it's late for me)
But the tunze is good and will get it done.
They both have solenoids that is required.

So true! CO2 is CO2. Media is media. Reactor is a vessel. BUT the CO2 regulator and
ph probe are life and death...literally.

My manual regulator would stop up about once a week. And even when working perfectly, keeping a steady correct flow is guesswork.

I am switching back from DOS TO Ca Reactor, are those the best now? Thx. John

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back