Calibrating APEX Salinity Probe Hack

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure where I read this, but I tried this technique yesterday and "so far so good".

Long story short, when I tried to properly calibrate my salinity probe (after reading all of the great threads on how to do this) I still couldn't get my probe to match or even come close to what I was reading on my Hanna. I slowly raised my tank salinity to 35ppt. Yesterday, I recalibrated my probe in automatic mode (2.1% temperature correction) but when it said to put the probe into the 53,000 calibration packet, I just put the probe back into the sump. Now, my salinity probe is reading 35ppt, "so far so good".

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I do and also use the Hanna, it’s the only way I can get it to read anywhere near something I actually trust.

I just use it as a monitor rather than for accuracy which is a shame.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I do and also use the Hanna, it’s the only way I can get it to read anywhere near something I actually trust.

I just use it as a monitor rather than for accuracy which is a shame.
My hope is that the Apex salinity probe will track my Hanna. I test every three days so it's easy to check, and that might make me feel more comfortable with the accuracy question. But @SPR1968 to your point, it's a great way to monitor changes

SrBlonde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure where I read this, but I tried this technique yesterday and "so far so good".

Long story short, when I tried to properly calibrate my salinity probe (after reading all of the great threads on how to do this) I still couldn't get my probe to match or even come close to what I was reading on my Hanna. I slowly raised my tank salinity to 35ppt. Yesterday, I recalibrated my probe in automatic mode (2.1% temperature correction) but when it said to put the probe into the 53,000 calibration packet, I just put the probe back into the sump. Now, my salinity probe is reading 35ppt, "so far so good".
Will the pulsating clock icon ever stop OR did you click next once the number did not change for a few seconds?

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the pulsating clock icon ever stop OR did you click next once the number did not change for a few seconds?
@SrBlonde the clock icon eventually stopped within the two minutes. I was in automatic mode.

If it's not settling in, try turning off your return pump while you do the calibration to keep the water still. TBH I don't remember if I had my return pump on or not, but I definitely made sure to shake out any bubbles -- I think I had enough cable to turn my probe upside down and then right side up while keeping the tip underwater. Then placed it into my probe holder.

Good luck!

Back