Calling all Metal Halide users

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How rare is this? I bought 3 Ushio 400w 14K bulbs to put in a Giesemann Spectra, only one bulb fit. The other two had wider and shallower threads couldn't even get them started. How is it that a manufacturer have different threads on their bulbs. I thought all MH bulbs would fit all MH lights. I mean this is crazy, isn't there some kind of industry standard?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please put a picture showing both different threads.
Where did you get the bulbs from?

They have 2 different types of sockets for Ushio bulbs: E39 and E40.
The E39 is the one we normally have in US.

file.php

I would contact the place you got them from and explain your problem.

Grandis.

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how to explain it within the same brand/model of bulb, but from my recollection...

There are euro vs us standards sometimes.....E39 vs E40 on "medium base" halides, for example. One a 1 mm larger. The socket from the larger standard will accomodate the smaller, but not vis versa.

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sockets all good. Had Radiums in there, and the one Ushio that fit had threads very similar to the Radiums. I think the ones that I can't use are the larger mm. Is there any notation in the number that would indicate this

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1359.JPG
The one on the bottom is the Radium,top is Ushio. The Ushio that fit looked more like the bottom

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, that should have been "mogul base" not "medium" earlier.

Could be you just have some defects – maybe try to exchange it with the retailer or call the maker or warranty support? Maybe even call Giesemann....Ushio's aren't exactle a no-name bulb.

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, that should have been "mogul base" not "medium" earlier.

Could be you just have some defects – maybe try to exchange it with the retailer or call the maker or warranty support? Maybe even call Giesemann....Ushio's aren't exactle a no-name bulb.

Oh yeah I've had great dealings with PA they are working with me, no issue at all there, just hope I don't keep running into this issue with other bulbs I might try, but for now I'm using the one Ushio and two Radiums and I'm loving the look. My pics are far better even with my Iphone just hope my coral growth improves

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to update this thread with a picture showing the different sockets to illustrate.
If you have any compatibility problems with your sockets / bulbs you probably have an E40 socket and the best solution of all is to substitute it with an E39 socket.
Here is the difference:
ab5bbe81-6f8d-411f-b3d9-c113b72524ef-original.jpg

The E39 (top, from Hamilton) will accept both types of bulbs (American and German), while the E40 (bottom, removed from a Giesemann Spectra fixture) will accept only the German type bulbs. Sometimes the E40 socket may work with some individual E39 bulbs, but not always!!
The ID of the E39 socket is wider than the E40. Hamilton sells the E39 socket.
After changing the socket you will be able to run any SE aquarium halide bulb with the proper wattage without any fitting problems.

Here is the link for the E39 socket from Hamilton:
https://hamiltontechnology.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=215&search=socket
Cheers!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back