Calling all Toadstool Leather Keepers

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe my toadstool is trying to split itself and attach itself to the rockwork behind it. Or has the rock just rubbed a hole in it? Should I help it along or let nature do its thing? It was a beautiful 8” diameter show piece but now looks all grizzled and torn. No way to remove it without cutting the truck off the rock. Should I try frag some of it off? Will I need to run lots of carbon for toxins?
Mixed reef 75 g

A240C022-9285-4042-A0FF-7E78E5FDDC28.jpeg 6A09724D-1D4B-4245-8924-0AEBF557B2A3.jpeg 140FC659-48AC-420D-8556-35D87EFFD1BD.jpeg

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it looks like its getting holes and going to split off parts of itself, just let it do its thing. you can also cut the pieces off as the holes get more defined. Watch it though as it could possibly be something else too

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
=1.... Beginning of splitting. They get ugly but bounce right back afterwards

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't run carbon and you start cutting up a bunch of frags it's not a bad idea, but depending on what else you have in your tank and what you normally do you may not need to worry.

I usually just let mine frag themselves and I'll pick up the floating frags later. If it gets to a hanging by a thread situation then you can just snip it off without much worry. If you want more frags and are concerned about toxins cutting the fallen off frags is the way to go (outside of your tank). Something other then just size triggers the self propagating but I have no idea what. Mine used to always drop frags, but now that they are bigger they are doing it less.

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. It’s actually grown itself in the side of the scape and that’s where the holes are so I assumed it was fragging itself. I had another grow up the side of the same rock reaching for more light. I’ll keep an eye out for hangers and cut and put on a plug.

I do run a bit of carbon twice a week for about two hours so it’s not 24/7 or stripping out everything. Should I run more as it splits or only if I cut?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 48.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back