Calling all Wisco Reefers

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to start conversations with other 608 Reefers so we can get to know each other as this group grows, hah suddenly have this vision of being a group counselor for Reefers anonymous...:p

Hi, ;Stop my name is Randy, from Monticello, work for the City of Madison Engineering Dept. I had a salt tank about 30 years ago that went belly up during a heat wave when the AC went out one day while at work. Then young married life took over so no time. Got permission from the boss lady to start one up so doing my homework because a lot has changed since then. Hope to finalize my tank selection(s) soon and start my DIY tank stand build this winter...

NEXT, please introduce yourself and where ya from....;Happy RFLMAO.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my name is Alex, I have been keeping saltwater tanks for about 8 years now. I got introduced into the hobby threw my grandfather he always had a beautiful saltwater aquarium. I drive a oil tanker truck for a company in Madison. Some of you may know I am moving shortly and setting up my dream tank and couldn’t be more excited!

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! My name is Paul, I've been in the hobby for about 15 years. I grew up in Wausau, then moved to the south Florida area.

I started my first tank there from a 150 someone gave me. Collected lots of cool stuff from the ocean, which got me further into the hobby. Had a thriving tank until the fresh water supply on the toilet flooded in my entire apartment in about 1 inch of water. I had to move the entire apartment while I was working full time and going to school full time with 2 young kids. The lone survivor from the ensuing tank crash is a clown I've had since then.

After finishing school, I got a job as a software engineer. After a few years I convinced my bosses to let me work remote permanently. I decided to leave the south florida area due to the high crime, insane housing prices, horrible traffic, bad schools... list could go on forever... plus I missed the seasons. I have family in the Madison area so I moved here.

I've been here a little over a year now (look everyone took my lead and decided to remote work!) and I'm still enjoying working remote. Finally had some time to get a tank going, and I'm nearly cycled on my 125 gallon tank! My clown made the move, he's living in a too small 10 gallon and is eagerly awaiting his new house.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! My name is Paul, I've been in the hobby for about 15 years. I grew up in Wausau, then moved to the south Florida area.

I started my first tank there from a 150 someone gave me. Collected lots of cool stuff from the ocean, which got me into further into the hobby. Had a thriving tank until the fresh water supply on the toilet flooded in my entire apartment in about 1 inch of water. I had to move the entire apartment while I was working full time and going to school full time with 2 young kids. The lone survivor from the ensuing tank crash is a clown I've had since then.

After finishing school, I got a job as a software engineer. After a few years I convinced my bosses to let me work remote permanently. I decided to leave the south florida area due to the high crime, insane housing prices, horrible traffic, bad schools... list could go on forever... plus I missed the seasons. I have family in the Madison area so I moved here.

I've been here a little over a year now (look everyone took my lead and decided to remote work!) and I'm still enjoying working remote. Finally had some time to get a tank going, and I'm nearly cycled on my 125 gallon tank! My clown made the move, he's living in a too small 10 gallon and is eagerly awaiting his new house.
Welcome home

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tony from Sheboygan. Owned full line retail pet store in Sheboygan 11+ years and 33 years in the hobby .
I have 3 tanks. . . 2 mixed reefs at 660g and a 50g drop-off tank and a recent Oceanic 135 custom unit - Fish only

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tony from Sheboygan. Owned full line retail pet store in Sheboygan 11+ years and 33 years in the hobby .
I have 3 tanks. . . 2 mixed reefs at 660g and a 50g drop-off tank and a recent Oceanic 135 custom unit - Fish only
Hi Tony. Originally from Manitowoc. 2 sisters still in area, on in Sheboygan Falls, she teaches at Sheboygan North.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all. My name is Jason. I grew up in the SF Bay Area and got turned on to saltwater aquariums by my sister in the Seventies. I had several freshwater tanks when I was a kid, and set up my very first salt tank in 1987. I joined the Coast Guard shortly thereafter, but that didn't keep me from the hobby. I kept tanks at most of the places I was stationed, and kept up on the latest information with books and magazines, remember those? I met a Wisconsin girl from an adjacent Navy base, and even though she wasn't part of the oldest and finest seagoing service, I forgave her and married her anyway. Over the years I have worked in the aquarium industry in several capacities, from retail store management, to system design, installation, and maintenance. Since moving to Wisconsin in 2000, I've done a few installs and some maintenance on the side, but not so much anymore. I've been a civilian employee at the Madison Police Department for nineteen years.

My current Innovative Marine Nuvo 50 EXT was commissioned a couple of months ago. Right now all that's in there is some KP Aquatics live rock, a few lobos I had lying around, and a couple of fish. Lighting is an ATI Sunpower, flow, two Tunze 6055s. I'm dosing DIY Tropic Marin AFR and coralline is starting to take off. After the tank stabilizes for a couple more months I'll be doing some shopping at Battlecorals.

Glad to be part of 608 Reefers!

Jason

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for joining! Can’t go wrong with a sunpower love mine!

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Jason and welcome to the club. The 608 Reefers is a small piece of R2R which is a smaller piece of the internet. It just got smaller because I work for City of Madison-Enginnering, Facility Management Section. :)

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Jason and welcome to the club. The 608 Reefers is a small piece of R2R which is a smaller piece of the internet. It just got smaller because I work for City of Madison-Enginnering, Facility Management Section. :)
Thank you and hello my fellow City employee, it is a small world! Sayle Street by chance? I was in there a couple of times today.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for joining! Can’t go wrong with a sunpower love mine!
I love mine too. I've had several LEDs over the years and I don't have the discipline to not tweak the spectrum and intensity constantly from my phone while relaxing in my armchair with a beverage. I was amazed by how much more I could see in the tank with the T5s too. Removing most of the shadows and shimmer is much more forgiving on my aging eyes :D. It reminds me of my old VHO days. Plug it in and grow stuff!

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t agree more the color the t5 bulbs brings to the tank is impressive. Personally I’m not a fan of shimmer.

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ordered fish from Dr Reef (quarantined fish) or would anyone be interested in putting an order together at some point in the future? I’m debating if I should set up a QT or experiment getting a few fish from him. His prices are fairly reasonable given the extensive quarantine process he goes through.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ordered fish from Dr Reef (quarantined fish) or would anyone be interested in putting an order together at some point in the future? I’m debating if I should set up a QT or experiment getting a few fish from him. His prices are fairly reasonable given the extensive quarantine process he goes through.
I have not actually. What size tank are these fish going to go in? I don’t qt that much anymore unless I see an issue.

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not actually. What size tank are these fish going to go in? I don’t qt that much anymore unless I see an issue.
Going into a Red Sea 200XL. When I broke down my old tank I had pest issues. I always told myself if I ever start a tank up again I’m going to quarantine. Maybe I’m overthinking.

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of you guys have a preference. Innovative Marine or Waterbox AIO? 15 peninsula or 14 peninsula.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still in the homework phase but not doing an AIO...I THINK...LOL
Might want to pose the question in the general forum, you are likely to get a spirited conversation

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still in the homework phase but not doing an AIO...I THINK...LOL
Might want to pose the question in the general forum, you are likely to get a spirited conversation
Are you doing a quarantine or just a small tank. What are you leaning towards?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back