Calling Halide t5 gurus!

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi sps gurus! I have recently setup new tank 72" x 36" x 22" I have built my own light rail and using 3 x 250 watt radium on 3 x 400 select a watt ballast running hqi setting with 4 G. true actinic 60" 80watt t5s. I have been growing sps for a long time and used similar setups for light. I have sat out for about 3 yes while getting my tank built and just tanking things slow.

One I would like to get everyone's opinion on the setup.

Two it seems that my corals start doing good then get ticked off and have been in that cycle for a few months. Never had this happen in the past on my older setups.

I have the halides 10in from water line. Params are stable.
S 1.025
Nitrates 0
Phos 0
Cal 450
Alk 9.9
Ph 8.2
Mag 1300

Only thing I can think of is lights are too close or temp swing I'm not catching.

Right now I have backed halides down from 4hrs to 1hrs and t5 remain 10hrs

I am going to try to track temp this weekend at night 78 during halide 10 130pm temp is at 80 have not seen it above or below. Anyways sorry for the long post but wanted to see what you all thought.
20210418_183446.jpg

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think lighting is your problem. That setup should grow just about anything. I think your problem may be that one the tank is relatively new and two your PO4 and NO3 numbers are 0. You need some nutrients in that tank.

How long has the tank been set up for? Did you use dry or already established live rock?

Edit: just saw last post with tank being set up in April.

OP
OP
D

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think lighting is your problem. That setup should grow just about anything. I think your problem may be that one the tank is relatively new and two your PO4 and NO3 numbers are 0. You need some nutrients in that tank.

How long has the tank been set up for? Did you use dry or already established live rock?

Edit: just saw last post with tank being set up in April.
Yeah I was thinking the same. Salifert kits are reading 0 but I'm feeding a lot I am cleaning the glass every other day. Maybe the nutrients are just getting used up quickly. I will bring nutrients up slowly and test. And keep an eye out for temp swings. Thank you for your thoughts.
What do you think about light height off the water ?

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a PAR meter to find out just how much light each area of the tank is receiving. You may need to raise them a bit.

with alk at near 10dkh, and such low nutrients, you may be better served lowering alk to 8-8.5 or so OR raising no3/po4 to detectable levels with your high light and current higher alkalinity.

once you get it dialed in I bet you’ll show amazing growth which is why I’m going back to radiums.

good luck

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup. Can't wait to see what it looks like when it's grown in. I'm all for old school gear and approaches, but I wanted to suggest that Hanna checkers make measuring no3 and po4 a breeze. Those messing color comparison cards are about impossible to get right when you're looking at the low end.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unrelated to your question, but I love that laminated, butcher block style stand. Bout as solid as it's gonna get. Did you build it yourself?

OP
OP
D

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a PAR meter to find out just how much light each area of the tank is receiving. You may need to raise them a bit.

with alk at near 10dkh, and such low nutrients, you may be better served lowering alk to 8-8.5 or so OR raising no3/po4 to detectable levels with your high light and current higher alkalinity.

once you get it dialed in I bet you’ll show amazing growth which is why I’m going back to radiums.

good luck
Thanks I'm using RC for water changes and the alk is a little higher so I will try to get nutrients up. I had measured it way before putting in corals out side edges on the floor were between. 250 300 par middle solid 300-320 top 5 or six in. Was measuring about 500-600 toward surface. But I have access to one and will measure again to be sure and post numbers here. Thank you for advice punisher!

OP
OP
D

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup. Can't wait to see what it looks like when it's grown in. I'm all for old school gear and approaches, but I wanted to suggest that Hanna checkers make measuring no3 and po4 a breeze. Those messing color comparison cards are about impossible to get right when you're looking at the low end.
Thank you for the kind words took me a while to get this up! I may move that route my older brother uses them and swears by them.

OP
OP
D

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unrelated to your question, but I love that laminated, butcher block style stand. Bout as solid as it's gonna get. Did you build it yourself?
Thank you for noticing. Lol I was hoping someone would haha. it was a vision of mine doing a super open concept with very basic easy to use setup. Yes the stand and sump not sure if you can see the sump. But blood sweat and tears put into that thing. If I could do it over I would only do this in a big open work shop on a raised surface.I literally did this on my back porch and garage. Was a pain but super happy with result having not Done this type of wood work before. I was think of doing a build thread and just never got around to it but took pictures along the way. Hmm may do it lol. Thank you again for the kind words.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for noticing. Lol I was hoping someone would haha. it was a vision of mine doing a super open concept with very basic easy to use setup. Yes the stand and sump not sure if you can see the sump. But blood sweat and tears put into that thing. If I could do it over I would only do this in a big open work shop on a raised surface.I literally did this on my back porch and garage. Was a pain but super happy with result having not Done this type of wood work before. I was think of doing a build thread and just never got around to it but took pictures along the way. Hmm may do it lol. Thank you again for the kind words.
You should absolutely start a build thread. This looks to be the start of a beautiful tank. I'd love to follow along.

Your stand has inspired me. I am looking to eventually upgrade to a slightly larger tank. I've got a bunch of 24"+ cut offs of 4x8 doug fir. I'd been storing them with no specific project in mind, but now I'm thinking they'll laminate nicely for a stand top.

OP
OP
D

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that industrial look light fixture ( and that it's not LEDs) and the stand, wow. Steam punk aquarium style.;)
Thank you man definitely what I was going for. Most people with a few exceptions put them in a canopy. I love the look of all the equipment out in the open. I did radions for a little bit and were great. But nothing beats the look of the sunniest day on a shallow reef!

OP
OP
D

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should absolutely start a build thread. This looks to be the start of a beautiful tank. I'd love to follow along.

Your stand has inspired me. I am looking to eventually upgrade to a slightly larger tank. I've got a bunch of 24"+ cut offs of 4x8 doug fir. I'd been storing them with no specific project in mind, but now I'm thinking they'll laminate nicely for a stand top.
Looks like I will need to get on that! Maybe start one tomorrow and gather all my photos through out the process. Thank you for the incuragement. Thank will be some nice wood to use. I went through your thread love the rock work! And that wood door. I can't get enough of the real wood look with fish tanks!

OP
OP
D

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like everyone is in line with the setup and I need...
A. More nutrients or start lowering alk.
B. Check tank Temps throughout the day.
C. Re check par number and possibly raise lights to lower intensity and should keep Temps more stable.
Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd agree with what everyone else said, especially about getting a PAR meter, but I wouldn't worry about lowering your lights. Those radiums burn out quickly, and PAR will drop off fast enough. I've been reefing almost 20 years, and halides w/VHOs(!) are probably my preferred look. Nice to see a few people still using MHs over LEDs.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Too low of nutrients, high alk, and young tank. Sorry if I missed this but dry rock tanks need a year to stable out and create a great place for SPS. Just my experience on that.

But I absolutely love the light setup!!! There is no better than what you have. You don't need a PAR meter with halides.

OP
OP
D

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd agree with what everyone else said, especially about getting a PAR meter, but I wouldn't worry about lowering your lights. Those radiums burn out quickly, and PAR will drop off fast enough. I've been reefing almost 20 years, and halides w/VHOs(!) are probably my preferred look. Nice to see a few people still using MHs over LEDs.
Thanks for the feed back. Yeah I don't think I will ever leave mh combos. Hopefully I can show some nice corals soon enough!.

OP
OP
D

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too low of nutrients, high alk, and young tank. Sorry if I missed this but dry rock tanks need a year to stable out and create a great place for SPS. Just my experience on that.

But I absolutely love the light setup!!! There is no better than what you have. You don't need a PAR meter with halides.
Thank you RT looks like we have the same size tank! Yes the live rock was seeded before going for years there were a couple small pieces I added later that were dry rock but everything you see in picture was teaming with pods mini brittle sponges etc...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back