Calling On Tropic Marine For Help!!!

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure we all understand the cost of better sourced raw materials makes up most of the cost compared to others. The problem now is your more expensive salt, thats supposed to have better raw materials(no brown crud), now has it.
I was clarifying because Ocean's Piece clearly did not understand or realize this.
As for the "brown crud", these things are rarely a simple as it looks. Please see my post below.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me try to clear up a few questions on this thread:

Sometimes I “stop by” a thread and feel it is important to get some more information together before making a formal post. Sometimes when I post something, it is cut and pasted and represented out of context later. For this reason, it can take me some time to compose my posts. The INTERNET is a very unforgiving place. Caution in the way we word things is essential. Especially when we are speaking for others. I do my best to respond to comments good and bad on this forum. I hope my attention to issues reflects well on Tropic Marin’s commitment to the continued integrity of our products.

@PeterC99... To answer your first question as directly as possible...nothing has changed with Tropic Marin salt or formulas. It is true that we have a new manufacturing facility in Turkey. It is also true that many hobbyists have noticed this on our buckets and jumped on the train of complaints. Please understand that this brand is extremely careful and places tremendous importance on the quality of our products. Our facility in Turkey is completely under the direct supervision of our team in Germany. Our facility in Turkey uses the same tested and verified high grade of raw materials. All of the TM manufacturing, no matter where it takes place, undergoes the same stringent quality control standards and procedures. This is very different than the “outsourcing” that Tropic Marin has been accused of. With the amount of salt that has been distributed around the world, made in our facility in Turkey, there are relatively few complaints in general. That being said, we take ALL complaints very seriously. We have gotten many samples of salt from hobbyists concerned about differences in the TM manufactured in Turkey. We have done ICP and HPLC testing on many of those samples and have mixed and compared batch after batch of test samples. In our lab, we have not been able to reproduce any of these issues. This does not mean that the issues do not exist. It also does not mean that Tropic Marin will end its search for some cause. However, it is somewhat difficult to track an issue down if it is not possible for us to reproduce the issue to be tracked.

As you know from your experience using Tropic Marin in the past, it is extremely unusual to see the kind of dark brown residue that your have pictured. This “color” of residue is usually related to iron in some way. Our office phone number is 413-367-0101. I would welcome the opportunity to chat with you about the specifics of what you are seeing to try to help you figure out why that is now showing up in your system. I encourage you, and anyone else having this issue, to call and chat. These things are rarely as simple as we would like.

@ingchr1 @Catskiller @homer1475 @MaxTremors The lot number on our buckets is not just a date. The different digits inform us about exactly what day, which batch and which bucket from that batch. So it is not quite as simple as just a date.

Not an IT guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sometimes I “stop by” a thread and feel it is important to get some more information together before making a formal post. Sometimes when I post something, it is cut and pasted and represented out of context later. For this reason, it can take me some time to compose my posts. The INTERNET is a very unforgiving place. Caution in the way we word things is essential. Especially when we are speaking for others. I do my best to respond to comments good and bad on this forum. I hope my attention to issues reflects well on Tropic Marin’s commitment to the continued integrity of our products.

@PeterC99... To answer your first question as directly as possible...nothing has changed with Tropic Marin salt or formulas. It is true that we have a new manufacturing facility in Turkey. It is also true that many hobbyists have noticed this on our buckets and jumped on the train of complaints. Please understand that this brand is extremely careful and places tremendous importance on the quality of our products. Our facility in Turkey is completely under the direct supervision of our team in Germany. Our facility in Turkey uses the same tested and verified high grade of raw materials. All of the TM manufacturing, no matter where it takes place, undergoes the same stringent quality control standards and procedures. This is very different than the “outsourcing” that Tropic Marin has been accused of. With the amount of salt that has been distributed around the world, made in our facility in Turkey, there are relatively few complaints in general. That being said, we take ALL complaints very seriously. We have gotten many samples of salt from hobbyists concerned about differences in the TM manufactured in Turkey. We have done ICP and HPLC testing on many of those samples and have mixed and compared batch after batch of test samples. In our lab, we have not been able to reproduce any of these issues. This does not mean that the issues do not exist. It also does not mean that Tropic Marin will end its search for some cause. However, it is somewhat difficult to track an issue down if it is not possible for us to reproduce the issue to be tracked.

As you know from your experience using Tropic Marin in the past, it is extremely unusual to see the kind of dark brown residue that your have pictured. This “color” of residue is usually related to iron in some way. Our office phone number is 413-367-0101. I would welcome the opportunity to chat with you about the specifics of what you are seeing to try to help you figure out why that is now showing up in your system. I encourage you, and anyone else having this issue, to call and chat. These things are rarely as simple as we would like.

@ingchr1 @Catskiller @homer1475 @MaxTremors The lot number on our buckets is not just a date. The different digits inform us about exactly what day, which batch and which bucket from that batch. So it is not quite as simple as just a date.
Mic drop

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Lou Ekus - Thank you for the response! I will be contacting your office and see if we can figure out what is going on. I live near NYC with incredible, high quality source water (32 TDS going into my RODI).

Thank you for the response!

Downfall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I also use TMP, current bucket was made in Germany but now I'm concerned about the lower cost location in Turkey.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I also use TMP, current bucket was made in Germany but now I'm concerned about the lower cost location in Turkey.
I'm not sure why you say "lower cost location". There is some misconception that this location in Turkey was some kind of compromise that Tropic Marin made. It is not! We expanded our manufacturing with a new facility. It just happens to be located in Turkey. After much evaluation, this was our best option and the staff there is doing a wonderful job. There are no compromises in raw material grade, manufacturing methodology or quality control protocols. Our team in Germany is in control of all processes and procedures in the same way they are in our two other facilities located in Germany.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't want to see anyone punking Lou for any reason. If you do, it worthy of being Reported under TOS Policies

Lou is a great guy. Tropic Marin is a high end company.

Don't have anything nice to say, keep you mouth closed.... as ALL your Grandmother's taught you

Last edited:

Beck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't care where TMP salt is made. I didn't see made in Turkey then "jump on the train of complaints". I have 4 empty buckets of TMP that was great salt. I didn't mind paying a premium price for the insurance knowing there is not an inclusion of more elements. I do have an issue when I get a new bucket and it mixes completely different. Especially after paying for the insurance. Not as clear and left "brown crud" in the bottom. Then noticed the bucket looked different and started looking into it and noticed it came from a new plant. I understand being really careful about what is mentioned about a product on the internet. It can get blasted everywhere and taken out of text. There definitely was an issue with some of the salt from the Turkey plant. It would be nice if it was acknowledged. Tropic Martin is a high quality company and should admit to an issue and take care of it.
20211207_211845.jpg

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't care where TMP salt is made. I didn't see made in Turkey then "jump on the train of complaints". I have 4 empty buckets of TMP that was great salt. I didn't mind paying a premium price for the insurance knowing there is not an inclusion of more elements. I do have an issue when I get a new bucket and it mixes completely different. Especially after paying for the insurance. Not as clear and left "brown crud" in the bottom. Then noticed the bucket looked different and started looking into it and noticed it came from a new plant. I understand being really careful about what is mentioned about a product on the internet. It can get blasted everywhere and taken out of text. There definitely was an issue with some of the salt from the Turkey plant. It would be nice if it was acknowledged. Tropic Martin is a high quality company and should admit to an issue and take care of it.
20211207_211845.jpg

Did you call the number provided to discuss the concern and issue you are seeing?
Did you send them a email via the portal?

Just wondering what you have actually done so far. Only reason why I'm asking is because that is what was asked so they can investigate. Lot of variables at play here and that is why they have lot numbers.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20211207_211845.jpg
Thank you for posting this picture. We are looking into this issue. It seems to be showing up in some cases and not in others. I hope we can find a cause very soon. Just to allay any fears you may have. The brown residue appears to be an iron/manganese residue that is the result of bacterial metabolization of the same. Although it is a pain to clean, it is not detrimental in any way to your corals or tank inhabitants. The answer we do not yet have, is why this seems to be showing up in some cases. This is NOT an "issue with the Turkey salt". And I have been somewhat more quite then usual, as I don't have the answers yet. Please know that we are working none stop on finding out why some are seeing this. Answers to questions like this don't always come quickly. I appreciate this additional information. Every little bit helps us.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't want to see anyone punking Lou for any reason. If you do, it worthy of being Reported under TOS Policies

Lou is a great guy. Tropic Marin is a high end company.

Don't have anything nice to say, keep you mouth closed.... as ALL your Grandmother's taught you
No one is punking anyone. People are sharing a concern they have and hoping for a resolution. That’s why we call this a “discussion” forum.

I’m sure making threats can be reported under some policy on here. Stay professional!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou,

Would it help if the people seeing the issue sent you their lot numbers? I just got a new 100 gallon box but I won't be opening it for several weeks yet. I got a bunch of the 32 gallon boxes during the Marine Depot liquidation that I've been working through. No residue at all from them--as usual for TM salts.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou,

Would it help if the people seeing the issue sent you their lot numbers? I just got a new 100 gallon box but I won't be opening it for several weeks yet. I got a bunch of the 32 gallon boxes during the Marine Depot liquidation that I've been working through. No residue at all from them--as usual for TM salts.
Lot numbers are always helpful! :)

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting this picture. We are looking into this issue. It seems to be showing up in some cases and not in others. I hope we can find a cause very soon. Just to allay any fears you may have. The brown residue appears to be an iron/manganese residue that is the result of bacterial metabolization of the same. Although it is a pain to clean, it is not detrimental in any way to your corals or tank inhabitants. The answer we do not yet have, is why this seems to be showing up in some cases. This is NOT an "issue with the Turkey salt". And I have been somewhat more quite then usual, as I don't have the answers yet. Please know that we are working none stop on finding out why some are seeing this. Answers to questions like this don't always come quickly. I appreciate this additional information. Every little bit helps us.
You might looking at it the wrong way. The question is not "why it happens to some reefers but not others", because mixing station setup different vastly people to people. The question should be "why it happens to the salt from the new plant but not to the salt from the old plan". Try find the difference between your plants. Not difference between reefers setup to you lab environment.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TastesLikeChicken @zoa what Not to worry guys. No one is feeling "punked" especially me! The more information we have, the better. We appreciate everyone's input. We also appreciate people understanding that these things take time. Tropic Marin is a company that takes ever complaint or issue very seriously. So thank you all for your continued support and follow up information. I hope we can figure out what some people are seeing very soon.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might looking at it the wrong way. The question is not "why it happens to some reefers but not others", because mixing station setup different vastly people to people. The question should be "why it happens to the salt from the new plant but not to the salt from the old plan". Try find the difference between your plants. Not difference between reefers setup to you lab environment.
Haha, that is also obvious. I did not mean to imply that we are only looking at one and not the other. At this point we are looking into ALL possible causes. And some that even seem a little impossible!!! :)

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the same respect as you've said, ive also had a bucket from EACH plant that has NOT had any residue issue for either. So it isnt just a matter of, it happens rom salt from that plant either.

So im sure it really isnt a clear cut issue as Lou has already stated. Ive probably used all salts available, premium or not, my tank runs on Tropic Marin and im happy wiht it regardless of these reports.

That number is there to call.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back