Calling out all vendors... Ultra Rare Super Toxic Holy Garbage...

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny enough (and not so funny enough) I am 100% certain there are some people out there who judge the person just from what they are giving off and actually SAY THAT they say exactly that! Where’s the community’s wholesome spirit there. Reefing is a hobby and a community where it’s supposed to be supportive and actually nice to people. Yet there are people out there who could care less. And unfortunately that’s how some big corporations and retailers act. That’s why it’s so important to support local businesses as well.
Yep, I think the majority of that is on the buyer though. The seller is just taking advantage of the psychology of the buyer. This is very apparent when the first thing buyer shares is the price followed by the elusive qualities of their latest purchase.

I almost included a jk to my posts so people knew it was all in jest. Then I came to my senses and chose not to cater to the lowest common denominator.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. So you are not upset about pricing but more about marketing gimmicks. On average, battlecoral acros are more expensive than other vendors. Battlecorals also do run sales a few times a year. They just don't call them live sales, and they don't have them every month, and they don't play the name game. But from a pure pricing standpoint, battlecorals is a premium "brand".
I actually don't find Adams prices on the majority of his frags to be incredibly out of line. Yes, he does carry some premium corals, but he also doesn't overprice fast growing, hardy, and common corals.

I think it should be noted, as well, that he is one of few vendors who you can quite actually call and talk to if you have an issue, question, or heaven forbid an actual problem with a coral you get from him.

So the 'premium' is more than just a fee tacked on to the coral frag, but an actual guarantee of service and advice, as much as he can give remotely, as well as a well earned reputation of reliability and hardy stock.

Unfortunately I have to admit I'm biased by experience there, however I have never gotten a level of service that remotely compares from another vendor ever.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always thought the live sales were ridiculous. Lots of fancy names thrown around with time pressure to buy. Not going to go there about cost because after all, it is a free market. However, I did take a screenshot of a live sale long ago to remind myself it's all hype and to just ignore it and move along. It was from a legit premium vendor and R2R sponser. I've blurred out the name so as not to bash any one person.

Screenshot_20200510-094431_Firefox.jpg

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always thought the live sales were ridiculous. Lots of fancy names thrown around with time pressure to buy. Not going to go there about cost because after all, it is a free market. However, I did take a screenshot of a live sale long ago to remind myself it's all hype and to just ignore it and move along. It was from a legit premium vendor and R2R sponser. I've blurred out the name so as not to bash any one person.

Screenshot_20200510-094431_Firefox.jpg
The elusive egg crate cyphastrea... A rare growth pattern indeed. Nice find!

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually don't find Adams prices on the majority of his frags to be incredibly out of line. Yes, he does carry some premium corals, but he also doesn't overprice fast growing, hardy, and common corals.

I think it should be noted, as well, that he is one of few vendors who you can quite actually call and talk to if you have an issue, question, or heaven forbid an actual problem with a coral you get from him.

So the 'premium' is more than just a fee tacked on to the coral frag, but an actual guarantee of service and advice, as much as he can give remotely, as well as a well earned reputation of reliability and hardy stock.

Unfortunately I have to admit I'm biased by experience there, however I have never gotten a level of service that remotely compares from another vendor ever.
I agree. I meant that BattleCorals is a premium brand based on his price, quality of frags, and level of service. I was just trying to understand the OP's frustration with current state of things and what type of vendors he's actually calling out.

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This... !

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol at this...if you had no named and one price options there would be a silly post about that.

Options are what make the retail world go around, make things interesting and different, no one is forcing you to do anything, or spend your money on anything, idk this is just honestly a waste of time, the beauty is in the beast.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair naming and pricing unusual or unordinary/rare Corals is one of the biggest means of revenue for a Marine hobbyist store. I have seen rare bounce corals, Discosoma, shroom corals the size of a thumb-nail get over $2k price tags. I had really thought about buying one because they grow fast and split themselves into more and by weight they cost more than literal Gold. The investment into propagating rare corals is pretty worth it IMO. You could even get your money back plus profit if you really got into it I think.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys would hate it over here… Very rarely will you ever find a single coral with an actual name!
Literally, if you go into an LFS you’ll just see ‘Torch Coral’ or ‘Sinularia Leather’ (of which, they mix Sarcophyton and Lobophytum leathers into there). In my further away LFS I get my acros and nobody asks for names, we all just look at the colours (The most expensive single frags of Acropora are £90, the SPS frag packs that LFS sells are £50-£180 usually). Over here the ‘name game’ is nonexistent in LFSs and I consider myself lucky to be in an area where the name game is nonexistent and Acros are easy to get.

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Funny story: I have an older reefer in my community that gives me a lot of slack for years now because I enjoy buying the "cool kids" corals that have fancy names. He sells corals out of his basement and used to do a lot of the "I don't play the name game" thing. Recently, I guess he learned the game and have started to collect the name corals and selling them :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:. Money talks.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys would hate it over here… Very rarely will you ever find a single coral with an actual name!
Literally, if you go into an LFS you’ll just see ‘Torch Coral’ or ‘Sinularia Leather’ (of which, they mix Sarcophyton and Lobophytum leathers into there).
Same here...you get "red Lobo" and "orange milli" with the exception of a few because they like to compare to international sellers to show what they have is just as good...i believe most of it comes right out of Indonesia though so there's not really any direct comparison between them and the "name brand" corals in the States

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here...you get "red Lobo" and "orange milli" with the exception of a few because they like to compare to international sellers to show what they have is just as good...i believe most of it comes right out of Indonesia though so there's not really any direct comparison between them and the "name brand" corals in the States
The states are lucky haha, they get CB fish and even matured coral that has been in captivity for years like there’s no tomorrow!
We just get wild coral frags or frags that have been growing for a few months in metal halides (later transferred into LEDs) that have no fancy names and instead just really pretty colouring. Well, if you’re lucky then you get corals from under halides however the majority of them are grown under LEDs for a few months and then put into our tanks when we buy them.
Any ‘named’ coral is lucky if it keeps its name, we are heavily reliant on the species, colour and abundance in the wild when it comes to pricing them.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The states are lucky haha, they get CB fish and even matured coral that has been in captivity for years like there’s no tomorrow!
We just get wild coral frags or frags that have been growing for a few months in metal halides (later transferred into LEDs) that have no fancy names and instead just really pretty colouring. Well, if you’re lucky then you get corals from under halides however the majority of them are grown under LEDs for a few months and then put into our tanks when we buy them.
Any ‘named’ coral is lucky if it keeps its name, we are heavily reliant on the species, colour and abundance in the wild when it comes to pricing them.
We've got CB fish here too actually...and i think it kinda works to the buyer's advantage when they can't attach a cute name that automatically demands a high price simply because of that name...i prefer to buy the ones that are already encrusted over the base tbh

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back