Calmwaters First Saltwater Build

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen these in the tank before what are they and are they good or bad?
20240317_082224.jpg
A nuisance to some, some like. Don’t worry about them righ now though. Ur don’t have time today

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen these in the tank before what are they and are they good or bad?
20240317_082224.jpg
Asterina stars (commonly known, but really Aquilonastra). Mixed reviews on whether good or bad. Most like to take them out because they can reproduce too rapidly. Slide them off the glass and collect them to discard.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they haven't gotten better or worse that I can tell.
Montis can be a bit funny for me. Sometimes I pass them off as duds only to find explosive growth months later.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I feel like an idiot and an awful fish mom! I read that I could dose the tank with peroxide to help with the algea on several sites including r2r and since I have often dosed freshwater with it for black brush algea I felt safe using it. I tried it last night with just a partial dose and it killed my Peppermint shrimp and I think also the 4 corals I had in the tank. I didn't even dose at full strength. The fish all seem to be fine but I haven't seen my hermits or snails yet and my Pincushion hasn't moved but could just be sleeping still. I am heart broken and just sick about this! I don't even know what to do now... should I do a water change to make sure there is no peroxide left or add carbon to my sump or both...

Sad Cry GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
The peroxide has likely all converted to water and singlet oxygen by now. That is a relatively fast reaction in a tank (just like on cuts and scrapes). I'd check your tank's pH. Water change might help, but I don't know how much your tank's chemistry has changed. Animals might just be in shock or experienced a wild swing in pH/oxygen levels. The urchin is what worries me the most--they don't like change.

How have the snails been acting most recently?

OP
OP
Calmwaters

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The peroxide has likely all converted to water and singlet oxygen by now. That is a relatively fast reaction in a tank (just like on cuts and scrapes). I'd check your tank's pH. Water change might help, but I don't know how much your tank's chemistry has changed. Animals might just be in shock or experienced a wild swing in pH/oxygen levels. The urchin is what worries me the most--they don't like change.

How have the snails been acting most recently?
Up until now they were airways on the glass or rocks but now they are all laying at the bottom of the tank.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I feel like an idiot and an awful fish mom! I read that I could dose the tank with peroxide to help with the algea on several sites including r2r and since I have often dosed freshwater with it for black brush algea I felt safe using it. I tried it last night with just a partial dose and it killed my Peppermint shrimp and I think also the 4 corals I had in the tank. I didn't even dose at full strength. The fish all seem to be fine but I haven't seen my hermits or snails yet and my Pincushion hasn't moved but could just be sleeping still. I am heart broken and just sick about this! I don't even know what to do now... should I do a water change to make sure there is no peroxide left or add carbon to my sump or both...

Sad Cry GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
I would do both. I used it the same way back in the day when I had gha with no ill effects. Are you sure you used 3%? The right percentage and dosage should not have done that. So sorry for your loss!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry to hear this. The good thing about Peroxide is it turns to plain old water rather quickly. The damage that was done should be done.

The stars, as I'm sure has already been mentioned, are Asterina stars (or similar?) and it's a debate on whether they're good or bad. Some are known coral eaters, some only eat algae. They do multiply rapidly and can become a problem even if they're the "good" ones.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am sorry, I don't even know what is the product. But yes check the parameters, check the livestock and add air stone when you can. You have a big volume.
H2O2 - Hydrogen Peroxide

OP
OP
Calmwaters

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do both. I used it the same way back in the day when I had gha with no ill effects. Are you sure you used 3%? The right percentage and dosage should not have done that. So sorry for your loss!
I used too much I did the math wrong... getting ready to do the second water change just got home and had to take care of dogs first. Should I remove the corals or leave them to see if they might bounce back? Urchin and snails are dead Hermits, emerald and fish all seem to be fine.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used too much I did the math wrong... getting ready to do the second water change just got home and had to take care of dogs first. Should I remove the corals or leave them to see if they might bounce back? Urchin and snails are dead Hermits, emerald and fish all seem to be fine.
I would leave them but keep a close eye on them. The leather I would pull and make sure you continue to run carbon. So sorry this happened!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back