Calmwaters First Saltwater Build

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not much you can do for the corals at this point. Unfortunately removing them could stress them more and could kill them. Lik mentioned, remove the dead things and do a water change. Probably run carbon (but rinse it VERY well). At this point you want to stabilize everything rather than make any huge rash moves as pH fluctuating or temperature swings could kill more.

OP
OP
Calmwaters

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd remove the bodies asap. I'd also consider it a win!
I have removed all the bodies I could find which I think is most of them. I am getting ready to do a water change ph and such should be the same in new water I had to add more salt befit wasn't quite high enough so I'm letting it mix while I bring all the dogs back in and feed them real quick. Tank was a a bit cloudy when I got home in guessing from the dead critters.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have removed all the bodies I could find which I think is most of them. I am getting ready to do a water change ph and such should be the same in new water I had to add more salt befit wasn't quite high enough so I'm letting it mix while I bring all the dogs back in and feed them real quick. Tank was a a bit cloudy when I got home in guessing from the dead critters.
Increase in ammonia will potentially cause a bacterial bloom which can cause cloudy water dependent on the bacteria type.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No spike in ammonia yet but I will keep an eye on it and test daily.
If your bacteria is doing it's job you won't s r the ammonia spike but there will be a sudden increase in bacteria (which is what can cause some cloudy water issues). Doing the water change will be good to remove some of the excess bacteria before a bacterial die off potentially occurs.

I've had some over the years and haven't ever seen it affect much but others have had some issues resulting from the bacterial die off.

OP
OP
Calmwaters

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed about 30 gallons of water and cleaned off the powerheads. While I was in Asheville today I picked up 5 red leg and 5 blue leg hermit crabs and 2 pretty margarita snails. I wanted to get more shrimp but they didn't have any so I will stop by my LFS tomorrow to see if they have anymore.

OP
OP
Calmwaters

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your bacteria is doing it's job you won't s r the ammonia spike but there will be a sudden increase in bacteria (which is what can cause some cloudy water issues). Doing the water change will be good to remove some of the excess bacteria before a bacterial die off potentially occurs.

I've had some over the years and haven't ever seen it affect much but others have had some issues resulting from the bacterial die off.
Got it so yes that could be why it's cloudy. How long should I wait to see if the corals recover or if they are ready dead and need to be removed?

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it so yes that could be why it's cloudy. How long should I wait to see if the corals recover or if they are ready dead and need to be removed?
Pictures? I think you’d know if they were dead already _ let’s see what the morning brings

OP
OP
Calmwaters

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures? I think you’d know if they were dead already _ let’s see what the morning brings
I am pretty sure they are dead...
20240317_081440.jpg
20240317_081446.jpg 20240317_081451.jpg 20240317_081458.jpg

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How does the water smell?

Also, I rarely remove corals once they're dead. The only thing I've ever removed was a torch that smelled like death and had obvious brown jelly disease.

OP
OP
Calmwaters

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the water smell?

Also, I rarely remove corals once they're dead. The only thing I've ever removed was a torch that smelled like death and had obvious brown jelly disease.
Like saltwater it doesn't stink just smells normal.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Like saltwater it doesn't stink just smells normal.
Good. You'll know when corals are dead. Pull out a dead snail and take a sniff - not too deep please - and then sniff the coral. Death in saltwater is fairly obvious - even before they're dead.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those will recover. Being serious. Not the snails, but the coral
I agree. The droopy ones might recover. If it doesn’t smell. Leave them in. I really think within 24 hours you will see some life.

OP
OP
Calmwaters

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good. You'll know when corals are dead. Pull out a dead snail and take a sniff - not too deep please - and then sniff the coral. Death in saltwater is fairly obvious - even before they're dead.
Dead snails are one of the worst smells I have ever smelled...

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back