cameronh

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Do you have pictures?
I cant get any without pulling it out and I have it set in there to where its skimming great lol. I would hate to pull it. But if I have to anytime soon I'll remember to take them.
However it will fit in the center chamber without customizing it but that's a bad spot because the water level constantly changes.

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant get any without pulling it out and I have it set in there to where its skimming great lol. I would hate to pull it. But if I have to anytime soon I'll remember to take them.
However it will fit in the center chamber without customizing it but that's a bad spot because the water level constantly changes.
Thanks! Don’t worry about it. Are you running an auto top off? I gave him 5 gallons of RODI to top it off manually but I believe he may have done a water change with it because he was texting me about low salinity for “no reason” lol. I want to make it fool proof

OP
OP
cameronh

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Don’t worry about it. Are you running an auto top off? I gave him 5 gallons of RODI to top it off manually but I believe he may have done a water change with it because he was texting me about low salinity for “no reason” lol. I want to make it fool proof
No auto top off. I keep rodi underneath it and just dump it in when it gets low.

OP
OP
cameronh

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a 60 cube last night.
Will be starting this up pretty soon.
20180624_114144.jpeg
20180624_114135.jpeg
20180624_114129.jpeg

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to keep the lid on a bio cube you can use purigen which is a chemical skimmer. You simply replace it when it changes color which is a few months. I'm not a fan of nano mechanical skimmers since it's a challenge to get them to work well and they don't fit under the stock lid.

I had higher levels of nitrates in the tank and have since added a refugium. I simply used egg crate to box out the bottom chamber of the stock media basket, I have a grow light attached to the outside and taped the rest of the second chamber so I don't have the glow at night. My nitrates are now 1ppm. They use to be much higher, over 25ppm. I take out half of the chaeto each water change (bi weekly). That's another option to get the nitrates down.

How often is you friend performing water changes and how much? Are they over feeding? DO they vacuum the sand bed during those water changes? @Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to keep the lid on a bio cube you can use purigen which is a chemical skimmer. You simply replace it when it changes color which is a few months. I'm not a fan of nano mechanical skimmers since it's a challenge to get them to work well and they don't fit under the stock lid.

I had higher levels of nitrates in the tank and have since added a refugium. I simply used egg crate to box out the bottom chamber of the stock media basket, I have a grow light attached to the outside and taped the rest of the second chamber so I don't have the glow at night. My nitrates are now 1ppm. They use to be much higher, over 25ppm. I take out half of the chaeto each water change (bi weekly). That's another option to get the nitrates down.

How often is you friend performing water changes and how much? Are they over feeding? DO they vacuum the sand bed during those water changes? @Salty.Reefer
All good questions. A flu just hit their house hold so I’m staying away lol just saw a lot of cyano and other algae in the picture. I think he does about 5 gallons a week. Maybe not. Who knows lol. I’ll get the full story soon

OP
OP
cameronh

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad, ok this might sound like a dumb question......but all my water parameters are in good shape but I keep getting green hair algae[emoji35],
Would a uv sterilizer help?
My phosphates are there....but barely.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used a steralizer. Could the rocks be leaching and the algae is consuming most of the phosphates before you can read them in water column?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad, ok this might sound like a dumb question......but all my water parameters are in good shape but I keep getting green hair algae[emoji35],
Would a uv sterilizer help?
My phosphates are there....but barely.
Uv sterilizer wont really help with green hair algae. A GFO reactor or incorporating a refugium would be the better bet. That and increased water changes.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uv sterilizer wont really help with green hair algae. A GFO reactor or incorporating a refugium would be the better bet. That and increased water changes.
Agreed!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add to this that manually removing as much as you can by hand or scrubbing with a toothbrush and sucking it out with a hose during your water change will help as well.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add to this that manually removing as much as you can by hand or scrubbing with a toothbrush and sucking it out with a hose during your water change will help as well.
+1. Manual removal with water changes is the best course of action.

Back