Can’t figure out quite what’s growing on my Tomini Tang

victorcan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got something growing on my Tomini Tang, friend of mine, said it might be some type of worm or parasite it’s not ich it’s like little tiny threads or strings that are coming out of just his mouth area and nose area it went away about a month ago. He had it for about two weeks after a new fish was introduced and died(powder, blue tang) but now has returned, and seems to be worse than it was before? Would really appreciate any input
IMG_7828.jpeg
IMG_7729.jpeg
IMG_7828.jpeg
220 gallon Reef with about half a dozen tangs that have not contracted this? Just this one fish seems to have it the last time he had it. My clown fish seem to have the same thing. It almost looks like their skin is peeling off of them, but they recovered and are showing no symptoms? If someone can identify this would really love to know what it is and how to treat it. I don’t know that I can get him out of the tank without tearing it completely down. UGG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Got something growing on my Tomini Tang, friend of mine, said it might be some type of worm or parasite it’s not ich it’s like little tiny threads or strings that are coming out of just his mouth area and nose area it went away about a month ago. He had it for about two weeks after a new fish was introduced and died(powder, blue tang) but now has returned, and seems to be worse than it was before? Would really appreciate any input
IMG_7828.jpeg
IMG_7729.jpeg
IMG_7828.jpeg
220 gallon Reef with about half a dozen tangs that have not contracted this? Just this one fish seems to have it the last time he had it. My clown fish seem to have the same thing. It almost looks like their skin is peeling off of them, but they recovered and are showing no symptoms? If someone can identify this would really love to know what it is and how to treat it. I don’t know that I can get him out of the tank without tearing it completely down. UGG
These seem to be mucus plugs or cones which tangs are very prone to getting. There may be ich mixed in there as well one source of these mucus cones is often ich.
Do any of the other fish show these spots?
Fish sometimes develop excess mucus that excretes from the producing skin cells which rises up as a cone or a plug. These often derive from skin irritation.
Assure good water quality and for cure often good water quality will diminish it but treating with coppersafe and copper power may help at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back