Can’t keep Frogspawn corals alive?

yankeeslover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon.
Quick question for the group. I seem to have a ton of trouble keeping frogspawn corals. My current waterbox peninsula mini 25 has been up and running a few months now. Salinity 1.025, nitrates 10, ph is a little low around 7.8(due to house being closed up w winter) phosphates are unreadable . Alk 8.6, calcium around 460.
I have Duncan corals exploding with growth. Pipe organ corals looking great. Multiple Zoa colony’s spreading but for some reason I keep losing any frog spawn/hammers I put in there.
I change out 5 gallons every week. Also using prime hd lights. Frogspawn is in lower portion of tank with lower flow.
I purchased a 6 head frogspawn/hammer hybrid about one month ago. And now all but one polyp has bailed on me. Could it be the water is too clean with no measurable phosphates? I have no algae issues.
Also my stock is 2 clownfish a coral banded shrimp and hermit crabs/snails. I am not currently running a skimmer as I do the 5 gallon per week water changes on my 25 gallon tank.
I just can’t understand why everything is growing good but any frogspawn I put in there. I’m confused. Thanks

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an issue with wall hammers. They bail within weeks of entering my tank. I believe my tank has a bacteria that attacks them.
Is there any coral near your frog spawn/hammers location that could sting them?

OP
OP
Y

yankeeslover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing by them. But I was reading the thread below mine and I wonder if it’s phosphate issue. My nyos kit shows zero. Maybe water too clean. I only feed my fish once per day maybe I will bump that to twice per day.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. What kit you use makes a difference, some can not read low levels

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon.
Quick question for the group. I seem to have a ton of trouble keeping frogspawn corals. My current waterbox peninsula mini 25 has been up and running a few months now. Salinity 1.025, nitrates 10, ph is a little low around 7.8(due to house being closed up w winter) phosphates are unreadable . Alk 8.6, calcium around 460.
I have Duncan corals exploding with growth. Pipe organ corals looking great. Multiple Zoa colony’s spreading but for some reason I keep losing any frog spawn/hammers I put in there.
I change out 5 gallons every week. Also using prime hd lights. Frogspawn is in lower portion of tank with lower flow.
I purchased a 6 head frogspawn/hammer hybrid about one month ago. And now all but one polyp has bailed on me. Could it be the water is too clean with no measurable phosphates? I have no algae issues.
Also my stock is 2 clownfish a coral banded shrimp and hermit crabs/snails. I am not currently running a skimmer as I do the 5 gallon per week water changes on my 25 gallon tank.
I just can’t understand why everything is growing good but any frogspawn I put in there. I’m confused. Thanks
What is your Magnesium level out of curiosity?

OP
OP
Y

yankeeslover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough it’s roughly 1600. Which was my next question. I use the neomarine salt. And fresh batch test 1600 . Not sure why so high. I’m using the salifert test for magnesium. Is this way to high?

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough it’s roughly 1600. Which was my next question. I use the neomarine salt. And fresh batch test 1600 . Not sure why so high. I’m using the salifert test for magnesium. Is this way to high?
1600 sounds high to me especially having low phosphates. It appears your Calc & ALK are running in tune. I personally would have my DKH up to 9.5-10.0 to match that higher MAG/Calcium level.

Increasing your KH would also increase your PH through winter. But having 0.0 phosphates is not good when running higher parameters.

Do you run GFO?

OP
OP
Y

yankeeslover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No gfo. I am using nothing but a filter sock which I change out every 2 days. Not even carbon. Which is the best way to raise alk?
Also is it possible that my rodi water has magnesium? Or is that just from the salt mix?

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No gfo. I am using nothing but a filter sock which I change out every 2 days. Not even carbon. Which is the best way to raise alk?
Also is it possible that my rodi water has magnesium? Or is that just from the salt mix?
What test kit do you use to check Mag? Never heard of RODI water increasing Mag. You can dose Alkalinity but if you go that route you need to do it very very slowly and then ensure your ALK matches on water changes.

I personally dose Brightwell REEF CODE B. Tons of products out there as KH buffers though.

OP
OP
Y

yankeeslover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to wonder if my cbs has something to do with this? Could just be coincidence, but I’m thinking this all started after I added him. Are they known to bother corals?

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my over 3.5 year old frogspawn.
It started in my 24 nano and was in my 120 for a year.
Its now in my 45 frag tank.
I gave away half as it used to be huge.
Get a Hanna low po4 tester.
I like NSW or close levels for the big 3.
Alk 7-7.5
Cal 420-450
Mag 1300-1350.
Water changes with a salt that is lower is the only way to lower mag as it is slow to deplete.
I have ran my po4 and no3 at these levels for 5 years with good results.
Po4 .02-.08
No3 5-10

My guess is your water changes are keeping po4 undetectable.
I would reduce WC's to 5%, every week or 1-2 gal, until your levels go up and adjust from their.
I have pepermint, cleaner, and fire shrimp with no issues.
It could be the shrimp but without a camera 24/7 you may never know unless you see it.
I had similar issues with emerald crabs and had to get up in the middle of the night to observe their behavior.
Stability of parameters is the key long term success.
20210112_184119.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back