Can’t keep SPS

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full tank shot.
Hey OP, your doing something right. Nice tank!

The reason you don't want low NO3 and po4 is because 1) coral need a food source and 2) lots of times it opens the door to dinoflagellates.
You probably have some N and P in your tank because you are feeding the fish. Just because it shows zero doesn't mean it's actually zero. What we are testing for is the residuals left over in the water column.
If you do decide to up the nutrients, work on po4 first then no3. Lots of times doing it the other way around causes problems.

Do test your calcium as soon as you are able. I'm curious if it gets repeated low.

As said, many ways to run a reef.
Having said that, you don't have to run a tank by dosing. Many people do many people don't. It's up to you. You could probably do water changes for a while until you do get into some more SPS and they do start to grow. Right now just to what you feel comfortable doing. Your tank looks like you are doing something right.

Happy reefing

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the full tank shot.... is this a fluval AIO tank? I only ask because it looks like I see the familiar hexgrid on the glass. If you are using the stock fluval lighting that might be some of the sps struggle also. I'm only guessing though.... the full tank shot looks great

OP
OP
I

Isiah1820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the system? Was dry rock used or live rock? If dry did you soak/seed it before adding it to the tank? How many fish do you have and how often do you feed? What type of lighting are you using and what cycle of light meaning how many hours per day are they on and what spectrum? Do you have access to a local reef club, if so don't hesitate to join, one of the best things I've ever done way back in 2004.

I scrolled through some of your older posts and maybe you still live in the Orlando area. Here's some clubs in Florida:

I started with dry rock from this tank after a tear down when I moved from Chicago. I bleached and cleaned the rocks. I have 5 fish. And I feed twice a day. A mix of frozen food and nls pellets, also dose ab+ and phytoplankton never both on the same day. And I have 2 AI primes and I use a preset from their site. I think I hit every question. And yes I’m still in Orlando, I’ll look into joining the reef club. I’m not necessarily new to reefing cause I still have a lot to learn. My first go around with this tank was not a success.

OP
OP
I

Isiah1820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey OP, your doing something right. Nice tank!

The reason you don't want low NO3 and po4 is because 1) coral need a food source and 2) lots of times it opens the door to dinoflagellates.
You probably have some N and P in your tank because you are feeding the fish. Just because it shows zero doesn't mean it's actually zero. What we are testing for is the residuals left over in the water column.
If you do decide to up the nutrients, work on po4 first then no3. Lots of times doing it the other way around causes problems.

Do test your calcium as soon as you are able. I'm curious if it gets repeated low.

As said, many ways to run a reef.
Having said that, you don't have to run a tank by dosing. Many people do many people don't. It's up to you. You could probably do water changes for a while until you do get into some more SPS and they do start to grow. Right now just to what you feel comfortable doing. Your tank looks like you are doing something right.

Happy reefing
Thanks man it’s good to hear I’m doing something right lol. And yea when I test the cal I will report back here. And I did have a Dino problem I believe, it was in the sand bed. It disappeared eventually, with siphoning it out during WCs. I think I had a post about it here also.

OP
OP
I

Isiah1820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the full tank shot.... is this a fluval AIO tank? I only ask because it looks like I see the familiar hexgrid on the glass. If you are using the stock fluval lighting that might be some of the sps struggle also. I'm only guessing though.... the full tank shot looks great
Yep it’s a fluval AIO. I use two AI Primes now. My first go around with this tank before my move to Florida I did use the Stock lights with a extra of the same light tho. And thanks for the compliment.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a good catch! I also have a Fluval and the stock lighting would not likely support SPS... I now have 2 primes, but that is only enough for most SPS if it's right near the top of the water (depending on how high the lights are mounted). the PAR drops off pretty quickly.

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you are looking for some tips and tricks and some TSA recommended spa check out this thread!

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 48 59.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%

Back