Can a clownfish be taught NOT to bite the hand that feeds it?

Do you have biting clownfish?

• YES

Votes: 494 55.1%
  • NO

Votes: 377 42.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 25 2.8%

• Total voters

Dorsetsteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tomato’s were ferocious. But they eventually lost interest in me, how? Well I think in part it was because I simply started to stand my ground, click my fingers at them underwater etc. Many fish grunt and click when annoyed and they seemed to get the hint. Disclaimer, I did loose a bit of blood before I won that process :lol:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two occs are such softies, had the female for a year and a half now. The little male will occasionally have a run at my hand but when he sees that the boss isn't backing him up, he retreats very quickly lol

Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two mated pairs of Ocellaris (in separate tanks) and while mine don't bite, the females will meet me halfway from wherever my hand is in the tank compared to where they are.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was honestly expecting way more Yes's. My Clownfish has bitten my arm while cleaning so many times. As soon as the arm's in she inspects and sizes it up, She's violent as. Like imagine fishing and remember how powerful a small fish is, the dang Clownfish is no exception, it's like a mini snapper with no teeth grabbing a skin full and hucking at you before letting go as you spasm and quote "holy hell".

The_ReefB0y_FOX24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be very fortunate, because this is my second pair of clowns, and none have ever tried to bite me. Mine are always super sweet and will even gently nibble food from my hand at feeding time! :smiling-face-with-halo:
20220615_102120.jpg
Beautiful clowns what types are they

jdloftness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you have clownfish chances are they have bit you or tried to bite you! I've been very fortunate over the years to have clownfish pairs who don't really bite that often or ever really. BUT from what I've read over the years it's pretty common to have biting clowns! It's annoying because things get wet, corals get accidentally fragged and so on and so forth. What I'm wondering is, is there a way to teach them not to bite? Let's chat about it!

Have you ever turned a biting clownfish into a docile clownfish and if so how?

teeth.jpg

image source
My clownfish, Bonnie & Clyde, are very territorial. If Bonnie could talk, I'm certain she would tell me, "I can't kill you, but I want to."

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns have never bit me,
My melanarus wrasse used to bite my wrists however

reeftopia_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female used to nip at my elbows ( I have no idea why) when she did this I “fought back” or just ignored her and kept doing what I was doing. eventually she just stopped haven’t been nipped by her in a while.
69DDED9E-B53B-4D33-B61F-C0075BC59264.jpeg

They’re not yet fully grown (bigger one is about 2.5 Inches the little one is probably shy of 2)
your corals look beautiful!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 53 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back