Can a clownfish be taught NOT to bite the hand that feeds it?

Do you have biting clownfish?

• YES

Votes: 494 55.1%
  • NO

Votes: 377 42.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 25 2.8%

• Total voters

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else had trouble with their clown’s willingness to share their anemone with a porcelain crab?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started a thread about this guy a couple weeks ago...

IMG_0937.jpg

Absolutely stunning fish. One of the more striking clowns I have seen... Put your hand too close to his house and he will come over and explain to you that he is not just another pretty face.

@Paul B , since you are the only other one I know of that has one of these guys, can they be paired? Will they pair with another like the Wyoming White I have in the same tank?

aleduc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female used to nip, once I stopped using a turkey baster and started using a finer acrylic baster to feed it seemed to stop. Or maybe she just got old and chilled out? Going on 12+ years.

mnpackerfan38

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 newer 20 gallon tanks, in my first tank I have 1 ocellaris that will bite my hand no matter what, even with gloves on (though it just tickles then). My other tank has a pair of clowns, and so far no biting. So I'd say love is the answer, but not after reading about how many of you have pairs of clowns that bite! I did notice my first clown started biting shortly after adding a mandarin to the tank, so maybe he's protecting it.

Fingers (non bitten) crossed that my pair of clowns remain peaceful!

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish mine did that instead of quite literally biting her tank mates no matter if they’re venomous or not. Never torn the scales off of a fellow tank mate but she definitely shows them it’s her area, I’ve watched her take on my Mag Foxface.
dang, well I think mine loves the unlimited mysis I feed them too much to bite me haha.

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female, Ginger Rogers, goes after my hand and charges me. I've been nipped, but she hasn't drawn blood....yet. I just chase her around with my hand LOL

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would of said yes a year or so ago but now I realize she isn't biting me she is treating my hand like an anemone. If you hold still she will swim in and out of my fingers. Odd but what can you do.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, i know a lot of folks think you cannot train fish, but I have been pretty successful w/my female by working w/her to associate me and my hand w/food. She is fairly smart as fish go, and very food-motivated. So now she does not attack my hand and hasn’t in like 6+ months.

That said, it’s still annoying b/c any time I’m in there she and her little man follow me around thinking I’ve got food. My hand, a pipette, tongs, any of those will get them excited and have them following. I always do give them at least a snack every time to keep that association going, and their excitement at my hand coming in is visible lol.

They are paired but have not mated yet, so I’m interested to see if or how their behavior changes when they do. They are pretty attached to the wavemaker and get all freaked out when I pull it out to clean it, but no bites. I also wear gloves to help deter bites.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a pair of oscellaris clowns. My female is a psycho. However I've found if I slowly introduce my hand into the tank, instead of just shoving it right in, she usually isn't nearly as aggressive. The male usually just watches her attack me, but sometimes he will also join in.

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mama Peacekeeper Maroon Clownfish takes a chunk of my hand every time I feed. I can't get anywhere near the eggs sometimes. She's a great mom

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had spawning clowns that never bit and singletons that would tear you up… both occy/perc types.

Some are definitely nicer then others.

I realized if I put a ring on with a large amber (orange) stone… then the clown would always bite the stone on the ring instead of me and that made maintenance easy. Like a bull seeing red lol

Kalipanther

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of ocellaris that were killed by Sandy. The female was nearly twice as big as the male and she used to bully him fairly often. But if I put my hands in the tank, she would immediately hide and the male would continue to bite me until I stopped whatever I was doing. He would always go after the skin between my fingers. It got so bad sometimes I would have to stick a net in the tank, which made everyone hide. Even then, he would occasionally dart out to bite me and then go back in his hiding spot.
My male does this too, if he does not, the female will bully him until he does. They started when I first used a turkey baster to clean dirtritus. Funny that he does not bite me when there is food in the baster

Attachments

• 4F585D4A-A957-4E53-9198-220668B29C7A.jpeg
    4F585D4A-A957-4E53-9198-220668B29C7A.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 23

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being that I help run a Parrot rescue, I'm curious how you 'trained' aggressive birds. I agree that by reacting, you are re-enforcing the biting behavior.
Shoot me a message at anytime, I would be happy to help.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't currently however I used to have a black and white clown that used to go to town on my hand. He used to try and attack me through the glass too. Boy was he angry!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B , since you are the only other one I know of that has one of these guys, can they be paired? Will they pair with another like the Wyoming White I have in the same tank?
Actually mine are Fireclowns but yours are much better looking. Even at 30 years old they constantly spawn. Like constantly. The eggs always hatch but I don't raise them. I don't know if they will spawn with a different species of clown but I think this one will mate with a door knob if he saw one. :oops:

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scared the crap out of me but it did not hurt . I just was not ready for that little fish to attack me.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back