Can a clownfish be taught NOT to bite the hand that feeds it?

Do you have biting clownfish?

• YES

Votes: 494 55.1%
  • NO

Votes: 377 42.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 25 2.8%

• Total voters

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I voted other. The male did years ago. I realized they had a clutch. Now I only clean if there are no clutches. It works
I have 3 pairs of clowns and one single clown. My Black Storms have always been really nice and gentle and it wasn’t until they first showed the smallest bit of aggression a month ago that I realized they had a clutch! They’re on their second (that I know of) now and I’m giving them plenty of space.

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pair in our 80gallon aren’t bad and have never bit me. The ones in my daughters tanks are total jerks. The female chases you around the tank. She has also killed several fish.

Pipo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pair in our 80gallon aren’t bad and have never bit me. The ones in my daughters tanks are total jerks. The female chases you around the tank. She has also killed several fish. Any fish that were in there before I got them I still have I bought 3 fish after them they killed all of them

The pair in our 80gallon aren’t bad and have never bit me. The ones in my daughters tanks are total jerks. The female chases you around the tank. She has also killed several fish

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said "no" on the poll because my current pair don't bite (yet) but its a matter of time. I had a pair early on that were viscious, the female would leave round red rings on my skin from her bites. She knew where to bite too, between the fingers, inner arm... water splashed everywhere, they win everytime.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 3 pairs of clowns and one single clown. My Black Storms have always been really nice and gentle and it wasn’t until they first showed the smallest bit of aggression a month ago that I realized they had a clutch! They’re on their second (that I know of) now and I’m giving them plenty of space.
My MochaVincis are absolutely MEAN and so is my single Frostbite female. She killed her mate also. All 3 of these guys have practically jumped out of the tank to try to bite me. Evil.
My pair of Spotcinctus are really nice so far and the female is actually really jumpy (literally hits the lid) and hides when I come to feed them or watch their tank. I feel bad for her but I’m hoping she comes around some day.

MmeAssoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a pair of young ocellaris for about eight months, and they weren't biters... until they discovered the bubble tip anemone three days ago.

Now the male/juvenile clown bites my fingers whenever my hand is in the tank. At least they've been very gentle, soft bites so far! It's kind of cute :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never say never…
I agree I posted earlier that my clowns were not biters, but since posting that I have received the first nip or at least the tool I was cleaning the back pane of glass did, shock horror first time Ive received aggressive behaviour from her and she is 9 yrs old this year must be turning out to be a grumpy old lady :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I posted earlier that my clowns were not biters, but since posting that I have received the first nip or at least the tool I was cleaning the back pane of glass did, shock horror first time Ive received aggressive behaviour from her and she is 9 yrs old this year must be turning out to be a grumpy old lady :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
Dang, 9 years? Mine was 2 years before she decided to go after my hand.

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, 9 years? Mine was 2 years before she decided to go after my hand.
Yeah she and her husband who is kept in her box somewhere at the back corner of my tank so I can never see them are both getting on a bit now though she does take him for walks around the tank in the evenings (if she feels like it :face-with-tears-of-joy:)

MarleyMoose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had my fish nip at me or anything when playing around with coral placement. The one who is actually weird is my peppermint shrimp. Every time he senses my movement he comes out and starts picking at my hands. One time I didn't see him from the angle I was at and it scared the crap out of me.
Had this happen few days ago :grinning-squinting-face: but I love this little guy!!

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think so. I had only one clownfish that always tried to bite me (and many times he succeded) every single time that I put my hand in the time. Once he jumped on the couch trying to bite me. He was relentless.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 65 32.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back