Can a Healthy Fish???

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people have different theories but can a healthy fish beat skin or gill flukes without treatment?

Curious to hear feedback on this topic point.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
May people have different theories but can a healthy fish beat skin or gill flukes without treatment?

There are fish that are resistant to disease but not immune. Going to your question, Having pristine water quality and diet is best prevention but as it is with we as humans, we carry viruses, etc and are susceptible from stress, lack of vitamins, poor diet and injury

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May people have different theories but can a healthy fish beat skin or gill flukes without treatment?

They certainly can in the wild. In captivity, propagule pressure due to smaller water volumes often takes over, causing morbidity and mortality. If the fish show symptoms, you need to treat.

I had a case where a group of central American cichlids were housed for 2+ generations in a large naturalistic system. Few mortalities were noted over the years, mostly due to aggression. I sent 100 of these cichlids to another public aquarium and they began dying of gill flukes, despite not being exposed to any other fish. Turns out, our cichlids had been managing a latent gill fluke infection for years, across multiple generations with no losses. Moving the fish to a smaller system caused the gill flukes to become acute and fish began dying.

Then, there are Neobenedenia flukes that are capable of starting epizootics, even in large systems, from just a single egg...yikes!

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back