Can AFR powder be mixed with warm water without creating problems?

Euphylliaphyle

Just your average schmo.
View Badges
Joined
Sep 28, 2025
Messages
1,685
Reaction score
2,692
Location
Eastern NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes seemingly forever to dissolve 80g of AFR powder into 450 ml of RO/DI at room temperature. Is it okay to heat the solution being mixed to say 140°F (60°C) while mixing?
 
I always warm it and have been for a few years.

PS. I heat to around 80 degrees. If I leave it at basement temps it can sit on a stirrer for an hour and not fully dissolve. Occasionally I'll have to add a little more water. I have no idea why since I use the same beaker and weigh AFR but it's happens once every few batches.
 
Last edited:
Yes, you can warm if, if you find that helps. Calcium formate is only very slightly more soluble at boiling than at freezing, but it may get to its solubility limit faster when warmer.

That said, agitation extent will likely speed it more then temperature.
 
Yes, you can warm if, if you find that helps. Calcium formate is only very slightly more soluble at boiling than at freezing, but it may get to its solubility limit faster when warmer.

That said, agitation extent will likely speed it more then temperature.
Thank you, Randy. That's very helpful. I'm getting a magnetic stirrer.
 
I have a magnetic stirrer inside the fridge I use to stir and dose phyto, and when making a batch of AFR, I move the phyto off the stirrer and put a glass container of AFR solids and water onto it for a while.
 
I have a magnetic stirrer inside the fridge I use to stir and dose phyto, and when making a batch of AFR, I move the phyto off the stirrer and put a glass container of AFR solids and water onto it for a while.
Thanks. I saw your phyto setup in your Tank & Learn thread. I'm thinking about getting a double stirrer so I can swirl phyto and trace (Brightwell's Replenish) simultaneously inside a dorm fridge for vacation dosing. The trace doesn't need the cold, but does need mixing, and I reckon the cold won't hurt it. I can certainly use the stirrer for that and AFR mixing, since I won't be mixing AFR on vacation!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new