Can an almost entirely melted toadstool recover?

  • Thread starter Thread starter moretor1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

moretor1

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 1, 2024
Messages
409
Reaction score
240
Location
Lexington
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates bottomed out after not paying attention doing some water changes to raise my KH, it's probably been this way for a week or so

My toadstool got hit the hardest and has lost about 60% of its mass, I thought it was a bacterial issue but retested everything when a dip did nothing

It was completely shriveled before I dosed 2ppm nitrate and then it almost immediately reacted and started extending

I thought it had flipped upside down so I went to gently roll it over with a pipette, just for the flesh to give way. I dont see any new decay

I am slowly seeing new polyps extend, and I've heard these guys are supposed to be nuclear bomb proof.
20241024_124535.jpg

I know it's not 100% dead yet, otherwise the polyps wouldn't be moving.

I've changed the carbon in my tank even though it's so small I doubt it would hurt anything
 
just keep an eye on phosphate and nitrate and you should be fine. It can come back from that
 
Yes, they can recover. A small piece can grow a whole new head. This is how they can frag them. Just cut them all up.
 
I would cut the piece that still looks alive and dip it in iodine and then put that back in your tank. The rest of it is dead and will only lead to the rest of it withering away and rotting.
 
I would cut the piece that still looks alive and dip it in iodine and then put that back in your tank. The rest of it is dead and will only lead to the rest of it withering away and rotting.
Way too fragile to move atm. I have a cup around it to protect it from being touched by anything or blown around

I gentle squirt with a pipette ripped the flesh. I think it might be done for. Unless it solidifies in the next day
 
The only thing it has going for it right now is it basically being isolated from everything. It is basically a paste with polyps
 
Mush is not a good sign.

If there is a part of it that is still firm, I would cut that part off and try to save it. Mushy part is dead and the decay will spread.
Make sure that it is getting some flow.
 
My nitrates bottomed out after not paying attention doing some water changes to raise my KH, it's probably been this way for a week or so

My toadstool got hit the hardest and has lost about 60% of its mass, I thought it was a bacterial issue but retested everything when a dip did nothing

It was completely shriveled before I dosed 2ppm nitrate and then it almost immediately reacted and started extending

I thought it had flipped upside down so I went to gently roll it over with a pipette, just for the flesh to give way. I dont see any new decay

I am slowly seeing new polyps extend, and I've heard these guys are supposed to be nuclear bomb proof.
20241024_124535.jpg

I know it's not 100% dead yet, otherwise the polyps wouldn't be moving.

I've changed the carbon in my tank even though it's so small I doubt it would hurt anything
From my experience even a speck of flesh can grow a new toadstool. I had one that lived through a full blown cycle. Just give the little guy some time to do its thing.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new