Can an anemone eat a clown?

Bunkinator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Large Condi, and a large maroon 3 stripe clown. it took a while but the anemone started hosting the clown. The clown did go through a period of being swollen, and lethargic , like an allergic reaction, but now they get along great, the clown fish recently started bringing the anemone food scraps. In hind sight Condylactis is a poor choice for a reef aquarium, it is aggressive and tend to move around, requiring that other corals be moved on occasion. considering a Condylactis anemone and a clown fish are from different regions, it is possible that the anemone ate or killed your clown. watch for an algae bloom, or check your ORP if you monitor it. hopefully he is just acclimating to the stings and will reappear.

condi.jpg

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Large Condi, and a large maroon 3 stripe clown. it took a while but the anemone started hosting the clown. The clown did go through a period of being swollen, and lethargic , like an allergic reaction, but now they get along great, the clown fish recently started bringing the anemone food scraps. In hind sight Condylactis is a poor choice for a reef aquarium, it is aggressive and tend to move around, requiring that other corals be moved on occasion. considering a Condylactis anemone and a clown fish are from different regions, it is possible that the anemone ate or killed your clown. watch for an algae bloom, or check your ORP if you monitor it. hopefully he is just acclimating to the stings and will reappear.

condi.jpg
They litterally found the clown inside the nem

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow. Sorry for your loss.

I had a purple Condy and got rid of it because whenever my clown try to approach it, seemed like they're getting stung or something. To an untrained eye (newbie) like me, it looked like it was too aggressive for me to have in my tank that's why I decided to remove it, I don't want to take the chances of my fish getting hurt, or worse, eaten like in your case.

OP
OP
R

ReefLove25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get a flashlight out and look down your overflow? Especially at the bottom of it? I had a saddleback go missing and that's where I found him.. Super hard "fishing" him out... Hand didn't fit well in there with the pipes.. I managed to break the bulkhead too...
Anyways, just an idea...

I found her inside my condy anemone, it had eaten her :(

OP
OP
R

ReefLove25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

condi.jpg

Sadly for me she didn't get the chance and was found inside the nem, eaten :(

Bunkinator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

condi.jpg
They litterally found the clown inside the nem
That is sad, again Condi
Sadly for me she didn't get the chance and was found inside the nem, eaten :(
Sorry to hear that.

florenceSC.nanoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is actual picture of a clown hosting a condy...but i think only one documented case of it....so random

My condy hosts my female cinamon clown just fine for the past month since I got it.

Vid taken right after a wc so it was a little closed up, usually double that size.

Lee adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 5 clowns and now only 2 left..Main suspect has to be Anenome. Question is,how long do these 2 have left?

Attachments

• 20240419_141100.jpg
    20240419_141100.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 9

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back