Can anyone explain my calcium fluctuations??

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, anyone know why my calcium can be fluctuating so much?? Are these errors in the test or are they actually fluctuating this much?? My alk has been steady thanks to my doser and my mag has also been stable. I'm dosing very little amounts of calcium because my tank doesn't consume a lot of it like it does with alk.

A695E86B-73A7-4960-9EA7-7713C063482D.png 364CA3E5-5C5E-4689-98C5-916A94DAC2BC.png 81F6D122-ED68-4E92-92CC-9AFAE97C5CE4.png

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your magnesium levels within range ?

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps it’s an imbalance from the alk dosing as calcium and alk interact. I’d guess upping your calcium dose could solve solve this issue and continue to monitor as suggested above maybe another cal test for comparison

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your corals are fine then something probably wrong with the test
I've got a hammer and a bubble coral at the moment that are doing fine, never thought about chasing calcium but I was wondering this was normal, or if these were errors, kinda concerning seeing spikes so if it was an error with testing I want to get it fixed because the apex system is brand new

TuxUrchin07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a hammer and a bubble coral at the moment that are doing fine, never thought about chasing calcium but I was wondering this was normal, or if these were errors, kinda concerning seeing spikes so if it was an error with testing I want to get it fixed because the apex system is brand new
Hm do you have pictures of the coral?

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps it’s an imbalance from the alk dosing as calcium and alk interact. I’d guess upping your calcium dose could solve solve this issue and continue to monitor as suggested above maybe another cal test for comparison
Yea I dose 2 part and I dose 70ml of alk and only 7 ml of calcium because the calcium always goes back up to around 390 so I'm not sure if I'm not doing the whole dosing thing correctly

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely a test issue. The sample line for the Trident is very susceptible to debris, micro airbubbles, etc.
My recommendation would be to check the sample line, clean the end, re-prime the sample line and retest your Ca.
This happens to me about once every couple of weeks. If you didn't change anything, add anything, or change your dosing, it's most likely the test.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, how long have you had your Trident running... I recently had a similar issue and opened a ticket with Neptune. They walked me through how to clean the cuvette and everything was fine after. They recommended that the cuvette be cleaned about once a year or so depending on how much of a bio-load you have.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely a test issue. The sample line for the Trident is very susceptible to debris, micro airbubbles, etc.
My recommendation would be to check the sample line, clean the end, re-prime the sample line and retest your Ca.
This happens to me about once every couple of weeks. If you didn't change anything, add anything, or change your dosing, it's most likely the test.
I think it's that as well because my sample line is next to my skimmer, it's either in that chamber or my fuge which will clog easily, i don't know if it's long enough but I'll try to put it in the return section instead, weird that it only happens with calcium.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your bubble looks like that and your hammer is happy, it's most likely a test issue...

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
They look healthy to me. Probably a problem with your test
Thanks! Yea I figured it's probably the sample line because I don't think my coral would appreciate those type of swings, will look into moving the sample line to a different chamber.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your bubble looks like that and your hammer is happy, it's most likely a test issue...
Yea that's what I was thinking as well, any idea if I can order a sample line that's a bit longer than what came with my trident??

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M
Also, how long have you had your Trident running... I recently had a similar issue and opened a ticket with Neptune. They walked me through how to clean the cuvette and everything was fine after. They recommended that the cuvette be cleaned about once a year or so depending on how much of a bio-load you have.
It's my first or second month with the trident, brand new!

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that the Ca is most susceptible to the test variations. Every so often Alk and Mg will follow, but I see it with Ca most. The rep said that's typical because the color is very slight and even small variations in sample will cause fluctuations.
I have my line in the side of the refuge routed through the skimmer baffle. Helps keep in the water and away from all the debris.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that's what I was thinking as well, any idea if I can order a sample line that's a bit longer than what came with my trident??
Nope! Unfortunately not...
The sample line is the sample line. DO NOT cut it or change it's length in any way. The Trident is calibrated to the specific volume of the sample line and any changes in the length will cause significant issues with the testing. Straight from the rep at Neptune!

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I've noticed that the Ca is most susceptible to the test variations. Every so often Alk and Mg will follow, but I see it with Ca most. The rep said that's typical because the color is very slight and even small variations in sample will cause fluctuations.
I have my line in the side of the refuge routed through the skimmer baffle. Helps keep in the water and away from all the debris.
Looking at my mag readings you're 100% right, my calcium swings often but mag doesn't swing as bad. Definitely gonna move the sample line over, prime, and re test.

Attachments

• 95BF42C5-CCEB-4EFD-AD53-A2EB6C8AF6EC.png
    95BF42C5-CCEB-4EFD-AD53-A2EB6C8AF6EC.png
    298.9 KB · Views: 37

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back