Can anyone I.D. this disease please

SaltyPirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you think these white marks/spots are? He also has some very small black spots, only his tail is effected. The other fish seem fine.

Also can you suggest a treatment please.

He is currently in quarantine with two peacock wrasse and a yellow tang.

4C31238A-99EB-4A2F-945C-366987E7AECC.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its common with full size angels and butterflies and back in the day referred to as cauliflower. . AKA . . . Lymphocystis.
Lympho (for short) is viral and often caused by poor water quality and /or diet but generally water.
Many ask - what can I do for my fish or treat it with?
Up the water quality is the answer. Copperband is a forgiving butterfly and will pull through nicely.
Focus on ammmonia-nitrate-ph-salinity
If youre using API test kits, you may be getting false results for which theyre known for.
As for diet:
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

OP
OP
S

SaltyPirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its common with full size angels and butterflies and back in the day referred to as cauliflow. . AKA . . . Lymphocystis.
Lympho (for short) is viral and often caused by poor water quality and /or diet but generally water.
Up the water quality is the answer. Copperband is a forgiving butterfly and will pull through nicely.
If youre using API test kits, you may be getting false results for which theyre known for.
As for diet:
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health
Its common with full size angels and butterflies and back in the day referred to as cauliflower. . AKA . . . Lymphocystis.
As for diet:
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Hikari veggie marine

Thank you!

Would it be better to transfer them all into the main tank, more room, better water, uv steriliser etc or is that a bad idea?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you!

Would it be better to transfer them all into the main tank, more room, better water, uv steriliser etc or is that a bad idea?
How long have they been in quarantine ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just over a week
Give them at least another week or two. Purpose of QT is to assure you are bringing Nothing foreign into Display tank and there is nothing worse than making the transfer to display and get some sort of outbreak and have to return fish to QT and go fallow for 6-8 weeks

OP
OP
S

SaltyPirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give them at least another week or two. Purpose of QT is to assure you are bringing Nothing foreign into Display tank and there is nothing worse than making the transfer to display and get some sort of outbreak and have to return fish to QT and go fallow for 6-8 weeksYeah.

Okay, thanks a lot for your help!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you think these white marks/spots are? He also has some very small black spots, only his tail is effected. The other fish seem fine.

Also can you suggest a treatment please.

He is currently in quarantine with two peacock wrasse and a yellow tang.

4C31238A-99EB-4A2F-945C-366987E7AECC.jpeg

That is Lymphocystis as the other have said. No treatment for that, it will resolve on its own in 4 to 8 weeks. However, the copperband is pretty skinny and the leopard wrasse also seems skinny in the photo (and they are pretty delicate). You'll want to ensure both are getting enough to eat.
In your water chemistries, did I miss it? I didn't seen an ammonia reading....that is the most important test in a quarantine tank.

Jay

OP
OP
S

SaltyPirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is Lymphocystis as the other have said. No treatment for that, it will resolve on its own in 4 to 8 weeks. However, the copperband is pretty skinny and the leopard wrasse also seems skinny in the photo (and they are pretty delicate). You'll want to ensure both are getting enough to eat.
In your water chemistries, did I miss it? I didn't seen an ammonia reading....that is the most important test in a quarantine tank.

Jay
Thank you, I’m feeding them a couple of times a day

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I’m feeding them a couple of times a day
You may need to up the food amount and frequency in order to bulk them up some. Don’t feed past the point where they accept the food, but you need to get them right up to that point. Both of these species are well known to lose weight over time, to a point where they can’t recover.
Jay

OP
OP
S

SaltyPirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need to up the food amount and frequency in order to bulk them up some. Don’t feed past the point where they accept the food, but you need to get them right up to that point. Both of these species are well known to lose weight over time, to a point where they can’t recover.
Jay
Okay, I was thinking they look a bit thin. I’ll start giving them more, I’d hate to lose them due to not eating enough.

OP
OP
S

SaltyPirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: The copperband has died suddenly, his tail was clearing up. He seems to have some red blotches on him and his snout looks red. Anyone know what this is? I’m thinking velvet?

Attachments

• AC636E2A-0BEC-495B-9ECB-85B495375FDE.jpeg
    AC636E2A-0BEC-495B-9ECB-85B495375FDE.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 429B0037-4EC8-4076-895F-28B4B9AB81BB.jpeg
    429B0037-4EC8-4076-895F-28B4B9AB81BB.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 37

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: The copperband has died suddenly, his tail was clearing up. He seems to have some red blotches on him and his snout looks red. Anyone know what this is? I’m thinking velvet?
I don't know what diesese or how it died but interesting article from one of the r2r members here,good read on itself even if doesnt give you an answer .
I've been pretty lucky with my copperband having it maybe 4 months or so now and didnt qt ,just did lots research on feeding them and paid off so far.
Not saying you shouldn't qt,just saying I didn't is all

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back