OP
ragnarokreviews

ragnarokreviews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can post good pics of the oral disc ( mouth visible), under the oral disc (to look for verracue), and tentacles, I’m almost certain you could get a definitive identification.
unless I get a go pro, not sure how much better these are gonna get but let me know if there is some other angle I can try.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang it isn't appearing to attach the videos. Let me try to convert to MP4, just a sec. Sorry
Pics are usually better than videos. Then you can focus on getting a good close-up of identifying features. Usually phone pics are good enough. Plus videos are a pita on this forum.

OP
OP
ragnarokreviews

ragnarokreviews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics are usually better than videos. Then you can focus on getting a good close-up of identifying features. Usually phone pics are good enough. Plus videos are a pita on this forum.
Yeah I keep trying and they will not upload lol... I may have to try later too, his mouth is hard to see right now for some reason

1645391744637.png

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I keep trying and they will not upload lol... I may have to try later too, his mouth is hard to see right now for some reason

1645391744637.png
Everything about it except what I thought looked like verracue in the video looks like a condy to me. Can you take a closeup pic of the underside of the oral disc? This is from the video that I’m questioning. A condy wouldn’t have spots like it appears to have in the video.
47DAE8D1-8866-4C91-A1F9-E8B557FFD1EF.jpeg

OP
OP
ragnarokreviews

ragnarokreviews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything about it except what I thought looked like verracue in the video looks like a condy to me. Can you take a closeup pic of the underside of the oral disc? This is from the video that I’m questioning. A condy wouldn’t have spots like it appears to have in the video.
Dang I keep getting "Oops we ran into a problem" when trying to upload more than one at time, sorry again lol:

Attachments

• IMG_3998 (1).JPG
    IMG_3998 (1).JPG
    159 KB · Views: 47

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strictly my OPINION.

I think no way LTA. My reasoning, to my understanding, I’ve only had a few so not certain, but I thought LTA all have an orange foot. This combined with the dots under side don’t match up to the dots mine had. I might be wrong but this is my thoughts. :)

It looks like Condy to me. LTA is also called “corkscrew” anemone because they tent to have tents that look corkscrewed when healthy, typically. Not always, but typically. The nem in question also looks to have bulbous ends. Not LTA. My opinion. Other thoughts?

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, because clowns don’t take to it, it still could be LTA (I don’t believe so) clowns tend to go to the natural host, and LTA might not be a natural host, so just because clowns don’t go to it doesn’t mean it’s not what you hope. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Zooxanthelle is a type of algae. It is not derived from light. Like any algae, it uses light for photosynthesis. But if the algae is not present, no amount of light will create it.
I’m fully aware and algae needs light but know that zooxanthellae is a photosynthetic algae (not green algae) and anemones have zooxanthellae in their body, which are symbiotic microorganisms that they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death. Furthermore, most coral provide the algae with a protected environment and compounds they need for photosynthesis. In return, the algae produce oxygen and help the coral to remove wastes. Most importantly, zooxanthellae supplies the coral with glucose, glycerol, and amino acids, which are the products of photosynthesis. The coral uses these products to make proteins, fats, and carbohydrates, and produce calcium carbonate. The relationship between the algae and coral polyp facilitates a tight recycling of nutrients.
Zooxanthellae is responsible for the unique colors of many corals WHICH REQUIRES LIGHT. WHICH IS WHY MANY CORAL DIE WHEN THERE IS INSUFFICIENT light
Run your tank without light and let me know how that works out

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You do know those are the same thing right? Haiti is in the Caribbean.
Yes I know . Haitian is a type of condy and if you read my post, I stated it is called haitian. I appreciate the lesson but I sold these in my pet store for many years and diving in the carribean often fully aware
You do know those are the same thing right? Haiti is in the Caribbean.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fully aware and algae needs light but know that zooxanthellae is a photosynthetic algae (not green algae) and anemones have zooxanthellae in their body, which are symbiotic microorganisms that they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death. Furthermore, most coral provide the algae with a protected environment and compounds they need for photosynthesis. In return, the algae produce oxygen and help the coral to remove wastes. Most importantly, zooxanthellae supplies the coral with glucose, glycerol, and amino acids, which are the products of photosynthesis. The coral uses these products to make proteins, fats, and carbohydrates, and produce calcium carbonate. The relationship between the algae and coral polyp facilitates a tight recycling of nutrients.
Zooxanthellae is responsible for the unique colors of many corals WHICH REQUIRES LIGHT. WHICH IS WHY MANY CORAL DIE WHEN THERE IS INSUFFICIENT
Run your tank without light and let me know how that works out
Why are you being hostile? You told the op they couldn’t transplant zooxanthelle because it was derived from light. That is factually inaccurate. Green algae (all algae) is also photosynthetic, so I’m not sure what you mean by the statement that “ zooxanthelle is a photosynthetic algae (not green algae)”. I’m aware of the role zooxanthelle plays with anemones. The experiment the op was testing involves taking a bleached anemone (little to no zooxanthelle present) and supplementing zooxanthelle in an attempt to populate the anemone with zooxanthelle. I’m not sure that it would work, but if it’s the right type of zoo, it’s definitely possible. Also, nobody suggested not ever giving light to anemones or algae, just that it could survive long enough without light to survive the shipping process. This is easily demonstrated by the thousands of corals shipped without arriving bleached. I was just trying to provide accurate information. If anything I said was inaccurate, please correct me. No need to speak down to me because you made inaccurate statements.

Last edited:

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I know . Haitian is a type of condy and if you read my post, I stated it is called haitian. I appreciate the lesson but I sold these in my pet store for many years and diving in the carribean often fully aware
It’s fine if you ‘mis-spoke’, I see you corrected your post. Originally you stated it could be a condy or a Haitian. Again, no hostility meant, just trying to avoid confusion as many would not know they are the same.

Last edited:

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vetteguy knows his shnitz. I caught what he was trying to say, and saw how it could be misunderstood. I’m not on social media anywhere so sometimes my typing doesn’t come out correct, but if we were all in person to talk face to face I bet every one of us would be best friends and talk for hours and hours.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Zooxanthellae are photosynthetic algae that use light as an energy source. They metabolize Carbon Dioxide, Nitrogen, and Phosphorus, which are waste products from the coral. In return, the Zooxanthellae provide the coral with their photosynthetic by-products, all of which are coral nutrients: Carbohydrates. All clades of zooxanthellae require light and have light level requirements.
You are telling me I dont know what im talking about- Hostile was not my intention but trust me- light is required. As a general rule, the clades of zooxanthellae will all need lighting between 400-700 on the visible spectrum, which is measured in nanometres (nm). As far as coral is concerned, there are very specific areas of the visible spectrum which are necessary for the zooxanthellae to photosynthesise. So, in order to best care for your coral, the luminaire you use must emit light in the parts of the spectrum necessary for this to occur

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zooxanthellae are photosynthetic algae that use light as an energy source. They metabolize Carbon Dioxide, Nitrogen, and Phosphorus, which are waste products from the coral. In return, the Zooxanthellae provide the coral with their photosynthetic by-products, all of which are coral nutrients: Carbohydrates. All clades of zooxanthellae require light and have light level requirements.
You are telling me I dont know what im talking about- Hostile was not my intention but trust me- light is required. As a general rule, the clades of zooxanthellae will all need lighting between 400-700 on the visible spectrum, which is measured in nanometres (nm). As far as coral is concerned, there are very specific areas of the visible spectrum which are necessary for the zooxanthellae to photosynthesise. So, in order to best care for your coral, the luminaire you use must emit light in the parts of the spectrum necessary for this to occur
Ok, I’m not going to continue this as you obviously have a need to come across as superior.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok, I’m not going to continue this as you obviously have a need to come across as superior.
I do not and have helped hundreds if not more and respectfully . Been doing this decades and not going to post nonsense. To be told I am way off is an insult . I responded with clarification, and you kept pressing so did it rattle my bones- Yes. To me, disrespect.
I have a way to end argument sake.... which I will take care of in a matter of seconds
have a great day and my apology if I came off as bitter- I am way too sociable and outgoing and the many who have met me can attest to this.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re both great contributors and I appreciate you both. Water under bridge.

Next: any opinions on the dots under the skirt? Color of foot??? Dots... They appear to go all the way down, and not as defined as I have seen on LTA. Color has no orange.., OP?
OPINIONS???

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 59.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back