Can anyone ID my nem?

ragnarokreviews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently made a video showing how I saved an anemone but to this day I still can't quite get an ID on it. I think its a long tentacle but I am not sure. I also reckon, its possible the batch of zooxanthellae I used could throw off whatever color it originally was but I suspect that's unlikely. Any help?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ragnarokreviews

ragnarokreviews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure it's a long tentacle. Maybe a bleached green specimen? It could also be a condi if it's primarily white with blue and purplish tips.
I have yet to see any blue or purple in the tips. I guess I may never get a full ID on it. I know my clowns don't like it. They tried it out once and they bolted out fast. It took a few of their scales. Very sticky now.

Last edited:

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure it's a long tentacle. Maybe a bleached green specimen? It could also be a condi if it's primarily white with blue and purplish tips.
Pretty sure condy’s don’t have visible verracue (someone correct me if I’m mistaken), this snapshot is what I’m referring to.
FE0FD2A6-C22D-4AEB-8014-1FE7D75BF50E.jpeg

Last edited:

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all condylactis have purple tips. The vast majority here in St Kitts do not.

2021_0302_18222600.jpg
2021_0302_18260100.jpg
2021_0302_18201900.jpg
2021_0226_12575200.jpg
2021_0226_12343800.jpg

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to see any blue or purple in the tips. I guess I may never get a full ID on it. I know my clowns don't like it. They tried it out once and it bolted out fast. It took a few of their scales. Very sticky now.
It’s most likey a condi since clowns can’t stand the sting.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I recently made a video showing how I saved an anemone but to this day I still can't quite get an ID on it. I think its a long tentacle but I am not sure. I also recon, its possible the batch of zooxanthellae I used could throw off whatever color it originally was but I suspect that's unlikely. Any help?

Batch of zooxanthellae ? Zooxanthellae is derived from light. I can see Phyto , but during shipment without light , not sure how it even stayed alive. Interesting

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks very much like a Condylactis gigantea (Caribbean) but can be called The Haitian Reef Anemone

Last edited:
OP
OP
ragnarokreviews

ragnarokreviews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Batch of zooxanthellae ? Zooxanthellae is derived from light. I can see Phyto , but during shipment without light , not sure how it even stayed alive. Interesting
Oh my gosh... You are right! They changed the description on Amazon..... It used to say Zooxanthellae... D: You just popped a hole in my video hahaha. shooot. I may need to make some adjustments to it lol. And also leave a complaint with a certain company. I did bring it back to life though.... somehow....

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all condylactis have purple tips. The vast majority here in St Kitts do not.
Good to know, thanks! Yeah, if the clownfish are avoiding it like the plague and it's sticky like h*ll - it's probably a condi.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Oh my gosh... You are right! They changed the description on Amazon..... It used to say Zooxanthellae... D: You just popped a hole in my video hahaha. shooot. I may need to make some adjustments to it lol. And also leave a complaint with a certain company. I did bring it back to life though.... somehow....
Likely the feeding. Small pieces of fish, shrimp and mysis shrimp are their desired foods plus light gives them color and energy

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can post good pics of the oral disc ( mouth visible), under the oral disc (to look for verracue), and tentacles, I’m almost certain you could get a definitive identification.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zooxanthelle is a type of algae. It is not derived from light. Like any algae, it uses light for photosynthesis. But if the algae is not present, no amount of light will create it.

OP
OP
ragnarokreviews

ragnarokreviews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zooxanthelle is a type of algae. It is not derived from light. Like any algae, it uses light for photosynthesis. But if the algae is not present, no amount of light will create it.
Not to mention they can survive in the dark for a fair number of days at a time in nature with storms and bad weather.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back