Can anyone positively ID these clownfish?

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lfs has them listed as african clownfish because thats what the supplier lists them as on their fish list. They are not clarkiis im quite sure because the clarkiis are in another tank and more than double the price. Are these A.tricinctus? Previously people have told me they are clarkiis but all the lfs’s that sell these guys(like over 10 of the marine shops and 2 direct importers around me) sell them as african clowns too and told me they are not clarkiis. theres no way they will be selling clarkiis at 65 bucks in one tank and these guys for 25 only. The clarkiis also are darker than these guys

IMG_6183.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphiprion sebae??
Any reason why they are almost 1/3 the price of the ones listed as actual clarkiis in the same shop ? They are all WC as we dont have CB clarkii in this country. If they are indeed clarkiis i will get two for my new system

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason why they are almost 1/3 the price of the ones listed as actual clarkiis in the same shop ? They are all WC as we dont have CB clarkii in this country. If they are indeed clarkiis i will get two for my new system
Why does it matter? They are obviously from the same complex as clarkii so would be similar care, aggression, etc probably.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a picture of the other more expensive ones?
Dont have one of the clarkiis unfortunately. But they had way darker bodies and brighter yellow on the fins. Like they looked like the clarkiis on google images

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm inclined to agree with A. clarkii actually; A. tricinctus - to my knowledge - isn't found in African waters, and the colors by the tail make A. allardi and A. latifasciatus unlikely. The second stripe is also much thicker than typical for A. allardi.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back