Can Brown Jelly disease spread from rhodactis mushrooms, caused by trauma, to euphyllia?

Vermontreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some background to the question: I recently pulled a small rock for maintenance/a move that had some ~2.5 inch rhodactis shrooms smothering some zoa colonies. I pulled a few of them off that were too close, making sure to remove as much tissue as possible. Fast forward three days, I see some decomposing matter that’s obviously what’s left of one of the rhodactis that was torn off, only enough actual matter to fill half a turkey baster.

Here’s where I pull an oops, I knocked the container holding the brown jelly back into the tank to be dispersed by my flow.

I’m wondering if what I saw was brown jelly that could impact my 2 hammer corals, or merely the small decaying remnants of a mushroom coral? I’ve read that brown jelly itself is more a byproduct of a mechanical injury, which would make sense for the mushroom, I just hope it is not something that will spread like BJD normally does with euphyllia as I had plans to buy a torch coral that have now been put on pause. Thanks for any advice

OP
OP
Vermontreefer

Vermontreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All parameters are within acceptable sps/lps ranges, hammer corals in question are very healthy, it’s just the small amount of decaying mushroom that looked eerily similar to bjd that has me worried

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quick answer is "no".

It's pretty likely that the stuff you siphoned (basted) out of your tank is, as you mentioned, the remnants of the mushroom. They can turn into a brown goo when injured/dying but it's not the same thing as BJD. There is some new science that suggests at least some BJD is caused by a particular bacteria and can be treated with ciprofloxacin. Older wisdom was that BJD is caused by paramecia that are always present in the tank but only cause a problem when a coral is injured.

Could the brown goo from the mushroom actually be BJD? Maybe, but it seems unlikely given what you described.

OP
OP
Vermontreefer

Vermontreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quick answer is "no".

It's pretty likely that the stuff you siphoned (basted) out of your tank is, as you mentioned, the remnants of the mushroom. They can turn into a brown goo when injured/dying but it's not the same thing as BJD. There is some new science that suggests at least some BJD is caused by a particular bacteria and can be treated with ciprofloxacin. Older wisdom was that BJD is caused by paramecia that are always present in the tank but only cause a problem when a coral is injured.

Could the brown goo from the mushroom actually be BJD? Maybe, but it seems unlikely given what you described.
Gotcha thanks for the reply, it’s eased my mind. Going to do a small water change and let my carbon reactor keep running. Nothing changed over night and everything looks the same as it did yesterday minus the small piece of dying mushroom.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back